How long will unused concrete mix last?

/ How long will unused concrete mix last? #1  

Jstpssng

Epic Contributor
Tractor
Kubota L3301
With this unseasonably warm weather I may start next year's project, pouring piers for a deck.

I believe that I have about a ton of premix plus a couple bags of Portland Cement which has been stored on a pallet for at least 5 years. It still seems soft but I won't know until I dig it out. My thought is to buy some fresh premix, and use a 50-50 mix. In hindsight I should have mixed a couple of bags last month, just to see how it set up.

/ How long will unused concrete mix last? #2  
It's just gonna be harder to weed out any hardened clumps in the pre-mixed. Also depends on your mixer. I guess a mortar mixer might pulverize clumps better.

/ How long will unused concrete mix last? #3  
Havnt heard of cement or gravel having a freshness date.
I would say that if the contents of the bag are as new (no hardening) You are good to go.

/ How long will unused concrete mix last? #4  
Likely it will last till the day before you need it. :) At least that is my experience in Western Washington. Unsure in "Hughett Bend" :)

/ How long will unused concrete mix last? #5  
Interesting today I was talking to two companies about self leveling concrete and the one flat out stated that it has a one year shelf life and that the cement is what goes bad.

I had not heard of that before, but the guy said it is common issue. He went into a local box store within the last year and the product on the shelf was dated from 2017.

/ How long will unused concrete mix last? #6  
Moisture is low in southeast Washington so shelf life for me on unmixed concrete is measured in years. If your concrete does not get moisture it lasts "forever". Once moisture hits it the reaction starts and mixed or not it begins to harden. You may break up the clumps but the chemical reaction only happens once.

/ How long will unused concrete mix last?
Maybe I would be better off starting fresh, and spreading this someplace less critical next year.

/ How long will unused concrete mix last? #8  
Use it for, or sell it for, setting posts.

Bruce

/ How long will unused concrete mix last?
I believe that I'll open it into my trailer, get enough fresh Portland cement for a 5 bag mix, and use my old premix for gravel.

/ How long will unused concrete mix last? #10  
I had mortar go bad from age. Started a thread here about it and that was the consensus.