How long does oil stay good

/ How long does oil stay good #1  

Eric_Phillips

Platinum Member
Tractor
FarmTrac 270DTC
I need 5qt of oil for my tractor and only need to change it once a year. If I get the 2.5 gal jug of Rotella T from TSC will the unused portion still be good next year? They are having a sale on the 1 gal jug and are sold out. It would be cheaper just to get the 2.5 gal jug if it will say good.

/ How long does oil stay good #2  
It will last a long long time, so long as the cap is on to keep it clean and keep condensation from happening.

/ How long does oil stay good #3  
Will last forever basically. I save it from year to year. even if condensation gets in it it will steam out the first time you run tractor for an hour or so which is basically for me as soon as i change oil. My tractor uses 5qts. I bought 2 gallons at first and used one and the piece of the other. Then i used another qt out of it the second year, then used it for lawnmowers or something later. Just keep dust n rain out of it.

/ How long does oil stay good #4  
It will last for many years. I would use 10 year old oil if it had been sealed properly. Just remember the old mechanics saying, " An open tin of grease is a dirty tin of grease". Same applies to oil.

This is a 'rule of thumb' test for oil.
Put a glob of oil between your thumb and forefinger. Slowly move them apart. If the oil viscosity is good then it will stretch out between your finger and thumb.(about a 1/4") Bad oil wont stretch out like good oil.

/ How long does oil stay good #5  
It will last for many years. I would use 10 year old oil if it had been sealed properly. Just remember the old mechanics saying, " An open tin of grease is a dirty tin of grease". Same applies to oil.

This is a 'rule of thumb' test for oil.
Put a glob of oil between your thumb and forefinger. Slowly move them apart. If the oil viscosity is good then it will stretch out between your finger and thumb.(about a 1/4") Bad oil wont stretch out like good oil.
Great piece of advice!

/ How long does oil stay good #6  
The one thing that can happen, with some oils at least, is the additive package or part of it can settle out. Just something to keep an eye out for...

/ How long does oil stay good #7  
The one thing that can happen, with some oils at least, is the additive package or part of it can settle out. Just something to keep an eye out for...

That's something I have wondered about. Can you stir it up...back in solution or heat it up to re-dissolve it?

/ How long does oil stay good #8  
An engine is a very powerful mixer.