How long do you wait before cancelling an order?

/ How long do you wait before cancelling an order? #1  

Jstpssng

Epic Contributor
Tractor
Kubota L3301
I just cancelled an order for a set of scope mounts which were supposed to come from Cabelas. They were shipped via FedEx on March 1, and have allegedly been floating around in their system ever since. Cabelas states that as long as the status keeps updating they can't do anything " as we are asked to give 7 days from the last scan"... so it is scanned every 6 days.

On the 3rd they said it had been delivered to the USPS distribution center, which would have been it's last stop before landing in my PO Box. Six days later they updated that and said that it was way down in Connecticut. No word for 6 more days... On Wednesday they updated and said "Departed FedEx location", yet they still don't offer a possible delivery date.
My road is maintained for 3 of us to get in and out of our homes, and can be rather icy at times. I try not to have deliveries to my home address in winter; I may have to reconsider that strategy.

/End rant.

/ How long do you wait before cancelling an order? #2  
Contact FedEx and get them to start a trace. That will expedite either the delivery, or the declaration that the package is missing.

I would not have waited this long...

/ How long do you wait before cancelling an order? #3  
On the 3rd they said it had been delivered to the USPS distribution center, which would have been it's last stop before landing in my PO Box. Six days later they updated that and said that it was way down in Connecticut. No word for 6 more days... On Wednesday they updated and said "Departed FedEx location", yet they still don't offer a possible delivery date.
Is it possible the package was damaged and is being returned?

There is usually some indication of that, but not always.

/ How long do you wait before cancelling an order?
I contacted Cabelas for the second time and they refunded my money. I suspect that it was lost in shipping two weeks ago.

/ How long do you wait before cancelling an order? #5  
I have a mile long, gravel driveway. For the last five years - I've not had to plow snow on it. Not even ONCE. I haven't got enough snow to justify. Besides in 2018 I got the Taco Wagon. 7500 pounds and 4WD.

However - MANY years ago I made a deal with all the delivery services. Any package coming to me - in the winter - just put in a garbage bag and hang on the outer gate. Then when I get the delivery email - I scoot on down and get the package.

Two years before MANY years ago - big BROWN got stuck on the driveway. What a mess. Had to pull that big brown hunk of crap all the way into the yard. So it could get turned around.

Anyhow - now everyone is happy. They hang pkgs on the outer gate - I go get them. They even do it this way in the summer. It's not like I get a whole lot of deliveries that won't fit in the mailbox anyhow.

In the 40+ years out here - one order "got lost". After two weeks the company simply sent another package - I got the second package right away. Never had to cancel an order.

Last edited:
   / How long do you wait before cancelling an order? #6  
Thinking further on this topic. About eighteen years ago. I get an email from Visa. They wanted to know if I actually made a $472 purchase of women's clothing from a store, somewhere, back east.

They were holding payment - pending my reply. Somebody, somewhere had fraudulently obtained and used my credit card number. This order was cancelled - new card was issued - nothing more was ever said.

/ How long do you wait before cancelling an order? #7  
I contacted Cabelas for the second time and they refunded my money. I suspect that it was lost in shipping two weeks ago.
We don't get excellent grade service from FedEx here. UPS is much better.

At the bottom of the pile is USPS. I was disappointed when UPS and FedEx started cooperating with USPS. Their tracking system is a complete mess. Last Friday wife got notification from USPS that her package had arrived. Haven't saw it yet.

I've also received packages and a week later see a notification that it'll be delivered today.....