How high is your corn?

/ How high is your corn? #1  

daugen

Super Star Member
Tractor
in between now
My recent visit to an old friend's home in Delaware made me go wow when I saw the corn field behind his house.
I'm guessing it's 9 feet tall now.
They are fifteen inches of rain over normal, and boy has this corn loved it. High temps and lots of water.

This is feed corn, which we confirmed when we took the huge ear into the house and tried to bite into it.
Rock hard. Huge ears of corn on huge stalks. Better living through modern chemistry, and a serious dose of natural
water.

Anyone have higher corn?
Pics of your local corn would be nice to compare.

Attachments

• Delaware corn Aug 2013.jpg
    Delaware corn Aug 2013.jpg
    300.7 KB · Views: 130
   / How high is your corn? #2  
The sweet corn in the garden is about 4foot tall. Startin to get tassels on it. Should have some ears on it soon.

/ How high is your corn? #3  
I'm not going to stand in mud to take a picture, but ours in front of our house is pretty tall though I am pretty sure it is not nine feet, supposed to rain on and off all this week and is raining now. My son bush hogged on another farm until late last night to get finished between periods of rain.

/ How high is your corn?
Need some magic to transplant this picture of corn growing to our friends in Texas.
Can you imagine TXDon waking up to this picture out his back door? Wish it were true.
Triple R, good morning and I hope things dry up a bit for you.
Mike, as far North as you are, four feet sounds good. Late August?

Last edited:
   / How high is your corn? #5  
Need some magic to transplant this picture of corn growing to our friends in Texas.
Can you imagine TXDon waking up to this picture out his back door? Wish it were true.
Triple R, good morning and I hope things dry up a bit for you.
Mike, as far North as you are, four feet sounds good. Late August?

Good morning Daugen, it is supposed to dry up by the weekend, but the mud will be pretty bad. My son is off two weeks between semesters and we wanted to catch up on the mowing and spraying on a couple of our farms; hope it works out.

/ How high is your corn? #6  
The corn around here looks pretty sad. I'd say the stalks are 5'-6' tall for field corn. It's depressing to see how drought conditions caused the corn to be stunted. On the other hand, up in Oklahoma, there are some beautiful corn fields with the stalks standing tall and proud. I haven't seen any harvesting here despite the fact that the stalks are brown and falling over. Maybe they are waiting on harvesters to come through or maybe they are gonna plow it under. I just don't know. . . .

/ How high is your corn? #7  
Started helping my friend today who started cutting corn. Cutting around 200 bushels to the acre.

image-4053304108.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using TractorByNet

/ How high is your corn? #8  
Corn looks great in middle tennessee!
corn 2013.jpg

/ How high is your corn?
PMA, may be just the picture but your corn looks more brown than green. Been dry there?
I think the Tennessee corn might even have a few inches on the PA corn.
Now someone has to report in from Iowa...

what struck me looking at this tall corn was how much stalk and leaves there was compared to corn. What is all that plant material other than the cob used for? Is that silage? You can tell I'm not a "real" farmer...:confused3:

/ How high is your corn? #10  
That is some tall corn. Around here we have very little field corn. What there is - 100% of the entire plant is cut & chopped into silage. The sweet corn here is 4 1/2 to 5 feet tall.