How Does the Man Who Drives the Snow Plow Drive to the Snow Plow ??

/ How Does the Man Who Drives the Snow Plow Drive to the Snow Plow ?? #2  
When I had my beetle, the only time I got stuck is when snow was higher than the bumper. Even then I just couldn't go forward, it would move in reverse. Needing the ice scraper while driving was a big downside

/ How Does the Man Who Drives the Snow Plow Drive to the Snow Plow ?? #3  
I remember watching that ad on our 17" B&W Marconi.

/ How Does the Man Who Drives the Snow Plow Drive to the Snow Plow ?? #4  
Great video and I might even remember seeing it when it was new. I wouldn't kick either one of those vehicles out of my barn.

/ How Does the Man Who Drives the Snow Plow Drive to the Snow Plow ?? #5  
I had bug back in 70,put set tires chains on the rear one could go about anywhere.
Wonder what type heater that guy had to keep windshield clear,most heater were call palm/scrapper heaters.

/ How Does the Man Who Drives the Snow Plow Drive to the Snow Plow ?? #6  
My dad had an "old to him" '59 beetle that he drove into the ground for 4 years. He replaced it with a new '68 which I learned to drive on. Rust took it's toll on those exhaust heat exchangers, but otherwise it was a very good snow car on hilly, twisty narrow cow paths that we call roads. The engine over driven rear wheels was a good layout for that. When VW stopped selling them, here in New England, the hole got filled by Subaru.

/ How Does the Man Who Drives the Snow Plow Drive to the Snow Plow ?? #7  
Yes,chains on the rear and you could go anywhere,couldn't steer very well though.Lack of a heater made it a challenge.

/ How Does the Man Who Drives the Snow Plow Drive to the Snow Plow ?? #8  
Heater aside, my uncle built a VW hunting vehicle that would go where most 4 wheelers couldn't. He put skid plates under the body so when it hit a deep hole it would just hydro-plane across it. He put large tires on the rear with tractor tread so they would not ground out in deep holes. He said it was pretty much unstoppable. I guess you could say it was similar to the mud buggies that you see today except for the front wheels.

/ How Does the Man Who Drives the Snow Plow Drive to the Snow Plow ?? #9  
I remember seeing this commercial on TV...about 1962 or 1963, IIRC.

One option in VW's (and Porsches) were gasoline heaters. I've never seen one in a VeeDub or Porsche (I was big into Porsche about 20some years ago) since it wasn't a real big necessity in the mid-Atlantic area, but I'd guess they were pretty popular in the northern US and Europe.

/ How Does the Man Who Drives the Snow Plow Drive to the Snow Plow ?? #10  
The wife & I drove to Alaska - from Ea Washinton - in a brand new VW, in 1965. The Alcan was a true adventure in those days. And yes, the wife had inside, front window ice scraper duties until the little car warmed up which usually took 15-20 minuets in the winter. The only unfortunate thing about the VW - like a 4WD rig - it would get you to places where nobody could get to help you - if you got stuck, ha,ha. Otherwise - it was a spectacular car for winter driving around Anchorage.