How do you transfer oil from 5 gal buckets?

/ How do you transfer oil from 5 gal buckets? #1  

FatTire

Veteran Member
Tractor
Kubota L5740, Unimog 404 w/ snowblower, Deere 620i UTV, MX5100 (sold)
What is your preferred method for transferring engine oil or hydraulic fluid from 5 gallon pails when doing a fluid change? Drill pump? Hand/bulb pump? Pour into a smaller container? If using a pump, do you use a separate one for each fluid type, or do you try to clear it out when done?

/ How do you transfer oil from 5 gal buckets? #2  
Hand pump types are made that will fit a 5 gallon bucket. They can pump pretty darn thick products such as self leveling urethane caulking or heavy and light width oils. Buy mine at local Napa auto parts store. For oils I will use the pump on different products. I just pump a bit to make sure its flushed out from the last product that I used.

/ How do you transfer oil from 5 gal buckets? #3  
I use a 1 gallon can like this :
IMG_3407.JPG

/ How do you transfer oil from 5 gal buckets? #4  
I pour into a smaller container. I little research and I found these products which we started using at the plant years ago. The color coding was nice for the various lubricants. They bought the pump/hose models and the jugs.Oil Storage & Transfer Containers - Lubrication Engineers Probably high dollar stuff but it was way better than our old system of scrounging for a funnel etc etc.

Last edited:
   / How do you transfer oil from 5 gal buckets? #6  
We've talked about this before on TBN....

/ How do you transfer oil from 5 gal buckets? #7  
I bought the Pittsburg 5 gallon pail pump from Harbor Freight for $15. Had it for a couple years and works good. Could be me but it’s a little messy. Seems I’m dribbling oil everywhere. Only issue and I knew about from the reviews is it had aluminum metal shavings inside. Cleaned and flushed it and used a paint strainer the first few times just in case.
I recently saw this post about a pail tipper and think it’s a good way. Just pour what you need into a qt./gal oil can. Seems simple and easy https://www.tractorbynet.com/forums/parts-repairs/258905-anyone-have-pail-tipper-5-a.html#top
With my luck of the Irish, I’d try the MossRoad method and I’d get the one bucket that was overfilled and the oil would come gushing out when I took the cap off

/ How do you transfer oil from 5 gal buckets? #8  
Just roll it over? OMG I've been doing it the hard way for 20 years!!!! :)