How do you run your HST+?

/ How do you run your HST+? #1  

rScotty

Tractor
Kubota M59, JD530, JD310SG. Restoring Yanmar YM165D
We've had the HST+ transmission for about ten or twelve years now on our tractor and think it is the best tranny I've ever used.
And that got me to wondering how other people run theirs?

Here's the things I was wondering about..

Do you run with the HST+ mode select in Manual, Stall Guard, or Auto H-DS+Stall Guard?
What about the ATA (Auto Throttle) Lever? Engaged or not?
And the HST response speed (attack speed)? Fast or Slow?
When using the hand throttle (for stationary PTO/BH work). What RPM do you run it at?

I think I usually run in Stall Guard, ATA engaged, fast response, and stationary rpm at 1400 to 1800. I rarely take it to redline or even close.

On the DS (Dual Speed) steering column lever, I am constantly working that lever smoothly shifting between Hi & Lo.
That DS lever and the auto-throttle feature seem to me to be about the best of the HST+ advantages. I'm guessing everyone works that DS lever a lot.

For those of you who have the optional foot clutch pedal, do you use it for anything? How about the Crawl function?

Did anyone else put a lockout on the 4wd lever? That lever is right where I step, so I had to put a latch on mine to prevent accidental engagement.

Is there anything else about the HST+ you've noticed?
For example ours is a real quiet HST - although once I did try an off-brand transhydraulic oil that made it squeal. Changed that real quick....
rScotty

/ How do you run your HST+? #2  
I run my L4240 90% of the time in medium and toggle between high/low.Only engage auto-throttle when doing heavy work(snow plow or heavy dirt piles ect.Run response in the middle(never moved it in ten years).Rarely use cruise control or stall guard.

/ How do you run your HST+? #3  
I use my L6060 mostly for mowing with a HD 6' cutter.

I turn ATA off when mowing but usually leave Stall Guard on. Mode is Auto H-DS + stall Guard but I occasionally force H-DS to low with the hand lever. Sometimes, if conditions permit, I simply floor the hydro pedal in heavy cover and allow stall guard to control ground speed. It's interesting to observe how it performs but I can do a better job myself.

I set the throttle to around 520-540 PTO RPM once fully up to temperature. I turn ATA on, only when the PTO is off and I'm moving point to point, when I usually return the throttle to idle or just above.

IIRC, response is set to maximum.

I have noticed that Auto-H-DS and ATA fight each other when going up my long, steep driveway at speed. I can either turn ATA off and open the hand throttle, force the transmission to low with the hand control or both.

Haven't done much FEL work but expect that I might need to lower the response setting when doing so.

SDT

/ How do you run your HST+? #4  
Do you run with the HST+ mode select in Manual, Stall Guard, or Auto H-DS+Stall Guard?

A:I try to leave Auto H-DS+Stall Guard on all the time

A:I only turn off ATA when hooking up the BH

A:It varies depending on what I am doing. For general 3ph work I tend to use slow to prevent rear wheel skidding. With the BH on and loader work i tend to use fast.

When using the hand throttle (for stationary PTO/BH work). What RPM do you run it at?

A: 540 for PTO work, WOT for trenching. Generally I match the rpm to the job depending on if I need speed or fine control. For all other work I use auto throttle. I also use the hand throttle to keep the engine around 1000-1200 rpm for warm up and cool down.

I wish the dual speed lever would let us cycle through all the gears as well as H+L like on the bigger equipment. The gear selector lever is a PITA and I constantly grab it when Im going for the 3ph lever. Not a good layout for lever position and sizes, seems like an afterthought that was added at the last minute when some engineer remembered the machine had a 3ph. Kept it low and small to clear the swivel seat.

I also wish this machine had cruise control for 3ph things like bush hogging. For mowing and snow blowing I turn off auto throttle and use the hand throttle only.

Crawl is great for BH work. I also use it for hooking up the BH.

I only use the clutch for shifting gears and 3ph work like running the chipper and emergency stopping the mower.

/ How do you run your HST+? #5  

A:I leave Stall Guard on all the time

A:I never have used it, but I only have 25 hours under my belt

A:Mine is set in just a little over the middle.

A: I don't have any stationary work such as BH that I have done. Most of my work has been moving dirt, brush, and rotary mower.

I use my tractor mostly in 4wd, so accidental engagement isn't an issue. Between some of the hills we have and using the bucket, leaving it in 4 wheel drive except when on the road makes the most sense to me.

Using the Hi/Low allows me to do most of my task in Medium gear. I wish switching from L-M-H was a little smoother, but at times I seem to fight with it just a little.

I really like the HST+ transmission.

/ How do you run your HST+? #6  
I run mine with Stall Guard on, ATA on, HST Response to fast (about 3/4 scale), Auto Hi Lo to off. I only use the manual throttle for PTO work, otherwise the throttle is set at 1500 RPM - ATA remains on in either case, it's just not controlling the throttle while at PTO speed.

/ How do you run your HST+? #7  
L4060HSTC here... StallGuard on, everything else manual. HST response is in the middle last I checked. I noticed sharper response recently & was wondering if something got changed, although not enough to page over to that menu to check (or more aptly I can't remember if it wasnt centered before).

I fiddled with auto throttle a bit recently & liked it. I turned it off at one point & cant be bothered to turn it back on though even though it's the only dam feature that has it's own button.

I used the throttle bump button on the joystick for the hydraulic post hole digger a while back. But not to much recently even doing some more post hole jobs.

I leave it in M most of the time. I road it a lot, so I use H more than L. I use L on trailers for more holding power on a slope or going really slow (3pt trencher). I only sometimes need it for box blade or loader work.

I'm in & out of 4wd a lot to preserve fields & tires. I only go into 4wd when I need traction for loader, box blade, plowing work or on steeper slopes. It can be a little sticky going out of 4wd & I usually do it on the fly. Dont think I've ever had it come out accidentally. On mine up is 2wd & down is 4wd, so it would be easier to bump it into 4wd than out.

I mow a lot which I leave the throttle all the way forward for. Maybe 3/4 throttle to full throttle for loader or box blade work.

HST+ is 75% or the reason I dont have a Korean machine. They were a bit of a better bang for the buck too. Out of all the other features I dont use that 2 speed stick on the left makes up for it. Every HST CUT on the market has the same crappy shifting 3, maybe 2 speet tranny. HST+ makes that mostly moot.

/ How do you run your HST+? #8  
HST+ in Manual and the HST response in the middle.

ATA engaged. For plowing snow, the throttle is set to idle and the pedal controls the engine and tractor speed. For mowing the throttle is set to give 400 PTO RPM's and the hydro pedal controls the tractor speed. Generally I don't push the hydro pedal to where it increases engine speed beyond the setpoint. 400 PTO RPM's seems to be ideal for the mower deck. That could change as the composition of the grass changes.

As rScotty assumed, the DS lever gets tapped frequently. Very useful.

No trouble with the 4WD lever.

Never used the cruise control.

/ How do you run your HST+? #9  
I don't know about the 60 series but on my 40 series I had to adjust the cable for the auto throttle. Now I use it on occasion. Other than that everything else is turned off. It's the high/ low feature that I use. I find I can control it better than the stall guard.

/ How do you run your HST+? #10  
I've tried the cruise control a few times, but never stuck with it. Fields I mow are often a a bit rougher so manual control works better to adjust as needed or let off entirely when I hit something really rough.