How do you accurately find your property line to post signs and paint trees

/ How do you accurately find your property line to post signs and paint trees #81  
Well - my property was initially surveyed by the government. It was for the giving of land under the Homestead Act ( ~1862 ). Subsequently - three of my four property corners have been surveyed by land surveyors. Adjoining property sales. My fourth corner is out in the middle of a big lake. Nobody - including me - gives a hoot about that one. I've tried marking it three times. Mother Nature and the winter ice obliterates any monumentation. I've given up on that corner.

Last edited:
   / How do you accurately find your property line to post signs and paint trees #82  
Or there are no gps coordinates for your property.

/ How do you accurately find your property line to post signs and paint trees #83  
Or there are no gps coordinates for your property.
There are coordinates at every location. It could be that the coordinates at your property are not registered with google maps and other data.

/ How do you accurately find your property line to post signs and paint trees
All of this so you can post some signs and paint a few trees purple???
Well, I didn't go into all the details but yes, I do want to know where to posts signs and paint some trees. But to do that, I also want at least a walking path. With the dense vegetation and steep slopes, it is a necessity to cut as I go. I don't want to cut someone else's mountain laurels much less some small trees. Sometime after that, I plan to expand the trail so my 5' side by side can run the perimeter. I want a nice shelter on the other side.

/ How do you accurately find your property line to post signs and paint trees #85  
GPS data recorded for my three property corners - who knows. The corners were established for other property owners. I still have the meets/bounds description as per the 1890 government survey. Three property corners have been established using modern survey techniques and staked. One even has a USGS brass survey cap.

Ah - Root Cause, the "details" make your project reasonable.

/ How do you accurately find your property line to post signs and paint trees #86  
There are coordinates at every location. It could be that the coordinates at your property are not registered with google maps and other data.

My deed does not use coordinates in any of it's description it is old enough that it has not been surveyed by newer conventional means.
Starting at my Southwestern corner it reads so many feet Northerly along the center of the stone wall to the intersecting stone wall thence in an Easterly direction in the center of the stone wall so many feet to the intersecting stone wall, thence Southerly to the intersecting stone wall, thence Eastwardly through the stone wall to the intersecting stone wall and the beginning point.

It has stood up to two challenges from newer properties that attempted to encroach on my property, one from a logger and one from a new neighbor.

/ How do you accurately find your property line to post signs and paint trees #87  
Without going into a lot of details, very few properties have coordinates for the property corners. In the order of importance, coordinates are at the very bottom of the list. For example here is sort of a partial list of the order of things accepted by a surveyor and this list is not complete and can vary by state.

call for adjoiner
Natural monument
man made monument
bearing
distance
area
coordinates

Because of different ways to obtain GPS coordinates, plate tectonics and other reasons coordinates are at the bottom of the list.