How do ya'll clean your HST oil cooler?

/ How do ya'll clean your HST oil cooler? #1  

beppington

Elite Member
Tractor
Here
I bush hogged quite a bit of 3'-4' high whispy stuff last weekend & discovered that its dusty tops/ seeds clogged my HST oil cooler, along with normal dust /dirt.

How do you all clean this oil cooler?

My manual just says it must be clean from debris.

/ How do ya'll clean your HST oil cooler? #2  
I use compressed air with a 2' extension I got from TSC. It has a bend close to the end to let me get in between the cooler and radiator, I use it on all my tractors.

For a quick knockoff in the field, I often carry a Stihl leaf blower.

/ How do ya'll clean your HST oil cooler? #3  
Ditto what TripleR said.

I always blow the tractor and lawn tractor off using just air. Keeping things dry helps avoid making caked mud out of the dust and debris which is really difficult to remove.

/ How do ya'll clean your HST oil cooler? #4  
I bush hogged quite a bit of 3'-4' high whispy stuff last weekend & discovered that its dusty tops/ seeds clogged my HST oil cooler, along with normal dust /dirt.

How do you all clean this oil cooler?

My manual just says it must be clean from debris.

The leaf blower does wonders and will not bend the fins easily which is nice

/ How do ya'll clean your HST oil cooler? #5  
The leaf blower does wonders and will not bend the fins easily which is nice
Leonz. You disappoint me. Here was an opportunity to give info on flail mower which probably won't cause this clogging.:)

/ How do ya'll clean your HST oil cooler? #6  
Leonz. You disappoint me. Here was an opportunity to give info on flail mower which probably won't cause this clogging.:)

HA,HA, he was wearing the rotary cutter at the time of the alledged attack of fuzzies!!!:laughing::thumbsup::drool:

WEEEEELLL, he did say he wanted to buy one after he ran his dads Caroni TM1900.

Do not hesitate to use a garden hose without a nozzle too as it will wash a lot of junk out of the base of the cooler
and radiator.

/ How do ya'll clean your HST oil cooler?
Thanks all ... tonight I took several brushes, including a toothbrush thankfully, & my blower, & cleaned the oil cooler off very well. Ya'll probably already know, but I needed the toothbrush to squeeze in between the battery & oil cooler itself; The battery's only about an inch in front of the oil cooler. Although the first air blow blew away most of the fuzz anyway :thumbsup:

And yes I do still have a Caroni in my sights! :thumbsup: I've been awaiting two things, 1) money, & 2) bush hogging of the bigger stuff to be "complete"

Last edited:
   / How do ya'll clean your HST oil cooler? #8  
I let mine cool and then use a spray on coil cleaner for air conditioner coils. Works great on the fins and then just have to hose it off.

/ How do ya'll clean your HST oil cooler? #10  
It may be a regional or material specific thing, but our dealer told us not to use water. I know when I used water on my Rhino, we eventually had to dismount the oil cooler to clean it out.