How do I rid my lawn of wheat - help

/ How do I rid my lawn of wheat - help #1  

RussMan

Silver Member
Tractor
B3030 w/ FEL and 72" midmt
My wife and I built a home, and moved in in April. We had a landscaper seed and straw the lawn. Now, I have a nasty grass/week throughout the yard. It looks a little like crabgrass but I don't think it is. I talked to the landscaper and he is going to come out to take a look. But he said there should be nothing in the seed he put down that would look like that. He said it might be something that was in the straw. So assuming he is correct, would it be wheat? And how in the world do I get rid of it, short of starting over?

Does it seem reasonable that the landscaper should make it right?

/ How do I rid my lawn of wheat - help
Another Question I should have asked in my original post - is wheat a perennial or will it die out and not be an issue next spring?

/ How do I rid my lawn of wheat - help #3  
Hopefully it is not Johnson Grass. Johnson grass grows very fast and spreads by Rizomes and seeds. If it is johnson grass, good luck.

/ How do I rid my lawn of wheat - help #4  
Depends on the straw they used. Rye straw typicaly has alot of seed in it. Usually it better to have combined wheat straw little to no seeds. Both can come up again with the right conditions. Rye is alot hardier plant. I would ask a landscape professional how to get rid of it. My lawn looks like a pasture so I'm not the one to ask on this LOL.

/ How do I rid my lawn of wheat - help #5  
what kind of grass seed did he put down? can't use the same herbicides on bermuda as you use on fescue to kill off certain weeds. you have to determine what kind of weed you are dealing with first to know how to kill it.
likely Image will do it, but you need to know the weed first.
as for the landscaper saying there should be no weed seed in what he put down, he's full of S@%*. all grass seed will have some amount of weed seed in it, better (more expensive) seed will have less, but they all have some. and the ground will inherently have some weed seed already in it as well.

/ How do I rid my lawn of wheat - help #6  
good morning,
when the guy comes out to look at your problem, make sure the culprit is not BAHIA grass, stringy stems and three black seed pods(great for hay, lousy on home yards and lawn equipment) if it is, ask him about a product call PASTURE CLEAN......medium expense, however it goes a long way... i usally spend about $200 a year(by a pro) to do about 2.5 ac. the seeds are transported by critters and wind.....it shouldn't hurt bermuda or fescue or blue grasses... it will affect bahia, johnson and other assorted grasses and most broadleaf weeds.....let it stay for about 10 to 14 days before you mow..don't let him used ERASURE....it will kill everything(almost like agent orange used in vietnam)....

good luck,
bluebonnet2