How do I remove cowl and instrument cluster on b2910 ?

/ How do I remove cowl and instrument cluster on b2910 ? #1  

dlabrie

Gold Member
Tractor
Kubota B2910
I am trying to chase down a short in my flashers and I need to get to the switch and flasher behind the cowl and instrument cluster. Can anyone explain how to remove them? Thanks.

/ How do I remove cowl and instrument cluster on b2910 ? #2  
   / How do I remove cowl and instrument cluster on b2910 ?
   / How do I remove cowl and instrument cluster on b2910 ? #4  
It's been over 10 years since I had mine apart. Here's what I remember: There is a screw on top of the cowling or shroud between the fuel cap and the instrument panel. Remove that, then use a screwdriver or something similar to pry the instrument panel away from the black plastic shroud. It won't come out far because of the tach cable, which you now have to disconnect at the tach (and it's pretty tight in there, as I recall). Hope this helps - good luck!

It's been over 10 years since I had mine apart. Here's what I remember: There is a screw on top of the cowling or shroud between the fuel cap and the instrument panel. Remove that, then use a screwdriver or something similar to pry the instrument panel away from the black plastic shroud. It won't come out far because of the tach cable, which you now have to disconnect at the tach (and it's pretty tight in there, as I recall). Hope this helps - good luck!

Thanks, I will give that a try.

I got the cowl and instrument cluster apart. Here are some tips if anyone searches for this info again.

Remove the screw on top of cowl. The instrument cluster pops out with a screwdriver; there are 2 slots on the top of it.
cluster.jpg
There are 2 hooked tabs on each side of the cowl and you need to lift the cowl to pull them out of the slot.
hooks.jpg
However, the throttle is in the way so you have to remove the slotted spring pin at the base of the throttle to remove it; I tapped it out with a punch.
throttle.jpg

You need to unscrew the tach cable from the cluster to be able to get in there. I struggled with it because there is no room. Later I realized that the tach cable runs through the firewall, over the engine where there is a tie you can loosen to give you a bit more play in the cable. You can see the clip holding it just to the right of the bottom of the spring in the pict.
tach cable.jpg

I still haven't found the short, but I learned how to access everything behind the cowl :)