How do I hire a Mechanical Engineer and/or Prototyping Co.?

/ How do I hire a Mechanical Engineer and/or Prototyping Co.? #1  

Dadnatron

Veteran Member
Tractor
JD 5100e with FEL
I have an idea and a working albeit cobbled together, working model of a foam cutter I need for making custom pillows.

The basic idea and machine are proven, but I need some help on making an actual USEFUL machine so I can do the work.

Basically I need a Mechanical (I suspect) Engineer to listen to my needs, look at my model, and design me a BETTER and more functional one. Then, I need a company which can build me the machine from the plans.

This isn't a massive machine, basically, I envision a specialized cutting head on a small, hand hold-able, power source, such as an air die grinder or batter powered air ratchet (those are the two power sources I have come up with thus far which might work.)

But I've never tried to do anything like this, and have no idea where to turn. I don't believe my idea and/or design will be that difficult to make and/or improve. But I need to make contact with someone who would be capable of 'designing an angle grinder' on an already designed power source. I suspect someone capable of doing that would be able to do what I need of them as well. (I just suspect I can use a power source by tearing down something already in production.)

I see 'Engineers for hire' on Upwork and while I have had success on these types of sites hiring a graphic designer, I don't know how well I could trust I am getting a mechanical system on this sort of site.

I live in Indianapolis and Lexington and am willing to travel to the surrounding cities to get this done. I guess, I am willing to work with any company/person who can do the job, if I can be sure they understand what I need and are willing to work with me to get it done at a reasonable price. This is not for a large production. This is more for a 1 or 2 off type of thing for my own use in building the company. If the product scales, I will have to have an automated CNC system built which I have designed, but I suspect that is something in the future.

Any ideas on how to proceed would be greatly appreciated.

/ How do I hire a Mechanical Engineer and/or Prototyping Co.? #2  
We reside in small a U town Michigan Technological University and have ME's residing here and for hire. Seems they wanted to stay but didn't want to work for Younameitcorp. Not sure where you reside but you might have some there and willing to help for $$. How to find them?? No idea.

/ How do I hire a Mechanical Engineer and/or Prototyping Co.? #3  
Speaking as a mechanical engineer, you might narrow down your search by giving the job pool a better idea of what you are trying to accomplish. Like, what kind of foam, geometry, etc. Are you making pockets in it by some sort of abrasive milling? Or perimeter cutting it with a hot wire or reciprocating blade? It's a broad field- from refrigeration to nano-materials. Oh, and avoid the ones who specialize in everything!

/ How do I hire a Mechanical Engineer and/or Prototyping Co.? #4  
Do you want to hire them as a employee, as in full time? It doesn't seem so.
Seems like you want a consultant who can create a design (i.e. specify the parts, dimensions, materials etc..) that you can hand to a machine shop, or fab shop.

Most states don't allow professional engineers to advertise, unlike doctors or lawyers. Consulting engineers have to survive by word of mouth and former clients.

But machine shops are usually better known to the general public and easier to find. Look for those with industrial clients that make "one-offs". They usually know who the consulting engineers/engineering firms are who often design the plans for the equipment they make. Ask them for recommendations.

Be specific on what you want from the engineer as a "deliverable". What exactly, and in what form, and what amount of detail is the engineer delivering. Some clients just want a sketch written on the back of a napkin, others want 15 drawings, plans, sections, bill of materials, assembly instructions, book specs, cost estimates, etc... Even though the objective is the same (e.g. a machine, etc..) in both cases, the hours the engineer has to invest to create those "deliverables"/"the drawing(s) he hands you" can vary widely. As does the price.

In the old days you could look for consulting engineers in the yellow pages.

Last edited:
   / How do I hire a Mechanical Engineer and/or Prototyping Co.? #5  
I have an idea and a working albeit cobbled together, working model of a foam cutter I need for making custom pillows.

The basic idea and machine are proven, but I need some help on making an actual USEFUL machine so I can do the work.

Basically I need a Mechanical (I suspect) Engineer to listen to my needs, look at my model, and design me a BETTER and more functional one. Then, I need a company which can build me the machine from the plans.

This isn't a massive machine, basically, I envision a specialized cutting head on a small, hand hold-able, power source, such as an air die grinder or batter powered air ratchet (those are the two power sources I have come up with thus far which might work.)

But I've never tried to do anything like this, and have no idea where to turn. I don't believe my idea and/or design will be that difficult to make and/or improve. But I need to make contact with someone who would be capable of 'designing an angle grinder' on an already designed power source. I suspect someone capable of doing that would be able to do what I need of them as well. (I just suspect I can use a power source by tearing down something already in production.)

I see 'Engineers for hire' on Upwork and while I have had success on these types of sites hiring a graphic designer, I don't know how well I could trust I am getting a mechanical system on this sort of site.

I live in Indianapolis and Lexington and am willing to travel to the surrounding cities to get this done. I guess, I am willing to work with any company/person who can do the job, if I can be sure they understand what I need and are willing to work with me to get it done at a reasonable price. This is not for a large production. This is more for a 1 or 2 off type of thing for my own use in building the company. If the product scales, I will have to have an automated CNC system built which I have designed, but I suspect that is something in the future.

Any ideas on how to proceed would be greatly appreciated.

An Industrial Engineer may be a better choice. More apt to find one of them familiar with machine design than a ME. The usually have training in a broad range of interlocking disciplines such as ME and EE also.

Ron

/ How do I hire a Mechanical Engineer and/or Prototyping Co.? #6  
Here's my story. I invented a product and was in the same positian as you. I contacted dozens of people to design / build etc my product in the USA because I wanted it built in the USA. Almost all the quotes ranged from 25K-75K just to do the drawings and make the molds. I dropped my idea until I contacted a Chinese supplier. They designed, sent me CAD drawing, makde custome moulds and manufactured 50 pieces for $5,000.00. Not a typo five thousand for everything INCLUDING 50 pieces. With the actual finished procuct and drawing I was then able to get a USA patent on my invention.

/ How do I hire a Mechanical Engineer and/or Prototyping Co.? #7  
Contact the University of Kentucky College of Engineering Department. This would make an excellent project for the students to work on and I would imagine they have 3D printing capability, so a prototype can be printed.

/ How do I hire a Mechanical Engineer and/or Prototyping Co.?
I've thought about contacting a University program.

I contacted the UK Chemical Engineering program to discuss the project concerning the foam... and although they gave lip service during a single email, there was no further reply either yes/no when I gave more information. And that was simply a discussion about choosing foam. The whole interaction was very odd, as I had a lot of detail about what I needed and I thought the same as you, that this would be a good project for students. However, it went nowhere, so I did the work myself and working with a foam company, we came up with a composition which I believe will work very well.

Now, I just need to develop the system to cut it into the shapes I ultimately require.

Perhaps I will contact the Engineering department again. If not there, perhaps I will go to Purdue and just hang a poster requesting a Graduate Student input for hire. It seems like the Professors only get the interest from major corps with deep pockets and have no desire for anything else. The first email they sent was all about What corp, investment potential, costs, grants, etc.

I'd like to find a 'hungry' graduate student or private/moonlighting Engineer who actually wants to do something. I don't want to hire as an employee at this point. I am looking for a Consultant/contract type situation. I'll pay cash or % business depending on deal. I am not opposed to paying. I always believe everyone should be paid their worth. But this is the issue I ran into. It seemed as though the UK professors thought the only things worthy of their time would come from a big Corporation, not an individual. We never even got to #s, as they never replied to my clarifying email, one way or another.

Cat Driver... what company did you work with in China?

Seebee... I'm fine with whomever can do the job. Industrial, mechanical, 'Mon back, etc. Whomever can help me design something which works is who I am after.

/ How do I hire a Mechanical Engineer and/or Prototyping Co.?
Coby... I do want a consultant who can design, specify, etc the parts necessary to make a prototype. And then, I need to find someone who can build the prototype.

/ How do I hire a Mechanical Engineer and/or Prototyping Co.? #10  
This is kind of what we do all day long at the Fortune 100 company I work at. What you are asking for is something we regularly do - work with outside vendors to ideate, prototype and fabricate equipment to do what we need. We do some of it in house too - it all depends on how proprietary it is, and where the best skill sets (and availability) are. The figures we throw around for things like this are often starting in the 10's of thousand of dollars without batting an eyelash. For a big company, that is really small potatoes for something that can return millions in large scale production of whatever product that thing will make for us.

I could give you the names of several firms we use that could do it for you, but I am sure you would not like the costs. Plus you may have a hard time getting the time of day from many of these places as they may not be very confident in working with a solo inventor. Solo inventors have a stereotype as being cheap and a bit batty, frankly, so a lot of shops are wary of them. So be advised that this is what these folks will probably be thinking of you before they even meet you, whether or not it applies to you. But also frankly, it sounds like you are looking for cheap, so maybe they are not so far off?? :D

If you want to look locally do searches on Machine Builders or Machine Integrators or Automation. You could ask around a bit at appropriate suppliers in your area. If you can find a bearing supplier, I'd bet they know names. Industrial equipment distributors would be another option - someone that sells air cylinders, conveyors, linear slides, servos, etc. if you know any machine shops, they could possibly do it or would know some names too. Maybe metal suppliers.

You might find a master's Eng student interested in this, but any other grad students are going for PhD's and are more on the research track than any sort of design engineer path. The same with profs, which is probably why you are having so little luck. Undergrads are another possible option, but they tend to not have much of a clue at that point. The universities are much more about research than they are about day to day design work. Unless you get lucky and find a program focused on preparing students for industrial careers in engineering. Then you may be golden.

Some of my thoughts from 27 yrs experience...

-Dave