how come staff at box stores know nothing baout their products?!?!?!

/ how come staff at box stores know nothing baout their products?!?!?! #111  
Went to Home Disposal today for a set of keyed door locks and a whole bunch of other stuff. After hunting down the guy who worked in Hardware, I was told to leave my house key there for a employee that comes in at 1;00. I left and went to a lumber yard and found that all the workers were trained to do key work.
My local Lowes has an automated self serve key machine. I've never used it but it couldn't be too much worse than some employees.

/ how come staff at box stores know nothing baout their products?!?!?!
My local Lowes has an automated self serve key machine. I've never used it but it couldn't be too much worse than some employees.

our local walmart has one of those 'no touch' key machines.

seems like anybody could make a key there. even a lowes employee ;)

/ how come staff at box stores know nothing baout their products?!?!?! #113  
Yeah, but try buying a new keyed door knob or deadbolt and having it keyed to your own door key.

/ how come staff at box stores know nothing baout their products?!?!?! #114  
Yeah, but try buying a new keyed door knob or deadbolt and having it keyed to your own door key.

Thats where these come in. You can change your pass code "key" every other day if you want! Keyed alike or keyed different. I got two so far, and Ill never go back to mechanical keys again!

schlage-alarm-FE576-keypad-cam-accent-satin-front-lg.jpg

that's actually not bad. i use the quickset lockes. you essentially buy the lock that his this lil master pin in it. put your key in, and pull that pin out and the lock is set to your key.

all the exterior locks in our house are setup like that... when i have to change one.. it's easy.

/ how come staff at box stores know nothing baout their products?!?!?! #116  
Get a Schlage lock. The keys that come with it have a number stamped on them and that number says how to set the pins (ie: if the number is 12345 the pin closest to the door is a 1, the next is a 2, etc)
Makes things very easy if the people doing the keying know what they are doing.

Aaron Z

most of the commercial buildings here use schlage.. etc.

/ how come staff at box stores know nothing baout their products?!?!?! #118  
Get a Schlage lock.

That's the brand we have throughout the house and shop, and all locks keyed the same.

/ how come staff at box stores know nothing baout their products?!?!?! #119  
Schlage :thumbsup:

Lasts the longest. I have 5 sets for a duplex that I simply rotate through different tenants. MUCH cheaper in the long run than buying cheaper brands every year or so.. :)

/ how come staff at box stores know nothing baout their products?!?!?! #120  
Perhaps I am lucky that the folks in the stores I frequent are retired trades people though some are too young for that. Maybe it is my area as folks here are overall friendly and ready to help?

The vast majority of the staff at the Lowes we go to is very friendly which is a PITA. :shocked: Usually when I am in Lowes or HD I am trying to solve a problem or trying to remember what I am forgetting to get. :confused3::D:D:D The constant "Can I help you?" questions from the staff interrupts my train of thought and ticks me off. I politely say, "No thank you." but dang it LEAVE ME ALONE. I can ask for help if I need it! :mad: I wish they would realize that if a Customer is NOT LOOKING at you, LEAVE THEM ALONE!

I don't expect the help to really know anything except maybe where the products are located. Even then, I prefer to look for myself because I will often find something that solves a problem or reminds me of something I need to buy.

The irony is that where I want the help to be friendly is the cashier and it is a coin toss on what you get at the register. :confused3:

Later,
Dan