how come staff at box stores know nothing baout their products?!?!?!

/ how come staff at box stores know nothing baout their products?!?!?! #11  
too bad many americans don't care about their work. what's even worse is many apparently don't care that others don't care. as evidenced here...

If you think I don't care, you're badly mistaken.:laughing: And I certainly understand the difference in people who care about their work, and want to learn all about it versus those who do not. But everyone has to start somewhere, and we can't expect a new guy in a new kind of job to know everything the first day.

/ how come staff at box stores know nothing baout their products?!?!?! #12  
i see where this thread is going.

there's apparently a whole lot of people out there with real low expectations and real low job qualification and work ethic.

bundle all that up.. and no wonder we import everything and the staus quoe is so low.

thread's been an eye opener.

people are very tolerant of substandard service.....

And likely support the notion that these same people should be getting a "liveable wage" for their lack of knowledge and ambition.

/ how come staff at box stores know nothing baout their products?!?!?! #13  
i don't consider lowes a bargain store.

If i was at dollar general.. i'd expect low cost service.

I mean in general. Big Boxes are very cost conscious as Im sure you know. An actual pluming supply, while not having as generous open hours nor pricing (on some things) generally has higher quality merchandise and staff. You get what you pay for

/ how come staff at box stores know nothing baout their products?!?!?!
If you think I don't care, you're badly mistaken.:laughing: And I certainly understand the difference in people who care about their work, and want to learn all about it versus those who do not. But everyone has to start somewhere, and we can't expect a new guy in a new kind of job to know everything the first day.

if this guy had been new. I'd surely have cut him some slack. for instance. the customer svc girl that walked by and asked to help told me up front she didn't know about plumbing. no problem. the flooring and window guyt hat walked by also mentioned his department was flooring and he could help me set sdome tile or laminate flooring.. no problem. then the guy walks up and 'he's the man to talk to' he wasn't new.... and he knew less than i did about them faucet innards. :) that's the part i have n issue with. Had he been knew. ok.. cut him some slack. can't expect the new guy to know all the stock.. though I would kind ahope the guy they hired to run plumbing.. um.. might have had some plumbing experience. :)

I can't go hire an engineer to work with me on my job that has no experience. :)

i don't want the HVAC guy that has never seen an HVAC to show up to my house on a hot day for a service call. and i don't want the medical pro that shows up in my patient room with the sharp bits and tweezers and needle and thread to sew up my latest farm accident to have no idea what to do. :)

just sayin.. :)

/ how come staff at box stores know nothing baout their products?!?!?! #15  
thread's been an eye opener.

people are very tolerant of substandard service.....

Yep, an eye opener in more ways than one.:laughing:

And likely support the notion that these same people should be getting a "liveable wage" for their lack of knowledge and ambition.

yup....

I mean in general. Big Boxes are very cost conscious as Im sure you know. An actual pluming supply, while not having as generous working hours nor pricing (on some things) generally has higher quality merchandise and staff. You get what you pay for

ahh.. i get your point. a specialy store. like if I had had an actaul 'plumbing supply' store to walk into.

Yeah.. hopefully.. they would have known. Wish I had one of those near me.. :)

Yep, an eye opener in more ways than one.:laughing:

for sure.

sub standard is the new standard these days ;)

/ how come staff at box stores know nothing baout their products?!?!?! #19  

I might point out that Home Depot and Lowes both advertise about their experts in all departments...Heck, HD even has their Mascot Homer...I have run into the same thing Chris is posting about...especially when we were building our house...Even the folks at the contractors desk knew very little with the exception of one fella that was a former builder.

/ how come staff at box stores know nothing baout their products?!?!?! #20  
There is a payroll and legal cost to having employees with the ability to know how to do things and share that knowledge. At a local large True Valve center I can get advice on what gauge wiring for a stated load (can find it myself on google too) but at Lowes they just say sorry I can not hear your question and if I could I would not be allowed to give that kind of advice.