How come gas vehicle engines don't burn oil?

/ How come gas vehicle engines don't burn oil? #11  
The newer engines certainly use less oil then the older ones
Between metallurgy, machining, engine development (electronic ignitions and EFI) and design the cumulative effect has been longer engine life,
cleaner burning engines and more hp per cubic inch.
As I recall IH gas engines normal oil consumption was anything less then a quart every 500 miles back in the 60's.
Much of that was through the valve guides.

/ How come gas vehicle engines don't burn oil? #12  
The thread title is funny
Back in '74 I had a 1966 Dodge Valiant slant 6 (bought in 73 for $100) that I drove from Vt to Ca and back in '74. When I started out I was getting almost 200 miles/quart. By the time I got back about 6 months later I was only getting 40 miles/quart.
Some gas engines do burn oil!

/ How come gas vehicle engines don't burn oil? #13  
The thread title is funny
Back in '74 I had a 1966 Dodge Valiant slant 6 (bought in 73 for $100) that I drove from Vt to Ca and back in '74. When I started out I was getting almost 200 miles/quart. By the time I got back about 6 months later I was only getting 40 miles/quart.
Some gas engines do burn oil!

My Mother had a some year, 60's anyway Dodge Valiant slant 6 with the floor shift . . . for a 6 cyl. that car was fast.

/ How come gas vehicle engines don't burn oil? #14  
I have to top up my 05 Tahoe once or twice before changing the oil at around 5k miles. It has 180,000 and still runs like a champ.

/ How come gas vehicle engines don't burn oil? #15  
My last two vehicles used oil between changes. Last was an 07 toyota, and my present is a 2016 Hyundai sonata with about 85K.
Several older vehicles I have owned didn't use a drop of oil between changes

/ How come gas vehicle engines don't burn oil? #16  
I agree with you - there should be some oil loss after 6000 miles. On my Honda, the owners manual says a loss of oil up to 1/2 quart between oil changes is considered 渡ormal?

MoKelly

And back in the olden days. If you only burned one quart per thousand in a brand new car you were lucky.

/ How come gas vehicle engines don't burn oil? #17  
I agree with you - there should be some oil loss after 6000 miles. On my Honda, the owners manual says a loss of oil up to 1/2 quart between oil changes is considered “normal”.

MoKelly
My 09 Sierra uses about 1 quart of oil every 1500 miles. I just keep a case in the tool box and check it every Friday before leaving work.

Thought about trading it in, but can't bring myself to spring for another mortgage payment. Truck still runs good and very reliable.

Neighbor runs a used car lot. He was trying to sell me a truck a while back. I told him he had a deal if the payments could stay the same He started back pedaling really quick when he realized mine had been paid off for a long time

/ How come gas vehicle engines don't burn oil? #18  
^^^^
You can buy a lot of oil for the price difference between what you have and the interest on a newer vehicle. The only thing to watch is the Cat... I almost burned up a pickup when that got clogged from an oil burning engine.
One trick I've used on vehicles with sticky valves is to dump a quart of ATF in, a few hundred miles before an oil change. It's either go or blow when you do that, but I've saved several engines that way.

/ How come gas vehicle engines don't burn oil? #19  
^^^^
You can buy a lot of oil for the price difference between what you have and the interest on a newer vehicle. The only thing to watch is the Cat... I almost burned up a pickup when that got clogged from an oil burning engine.
One trick I've used on vehicles with sticky valves is to dump a quart of ATF in, a few hundred miles before an oil change. It's either go or blow when you do that, but I've saved several engines that way.
It actually has a slight drip on the back of the engine under the fire wall. It runs down on top of the transmission. You wouldn't know it's leaking since the oil never reaches the ground.

Only way I discovered it was climbing under the truck with a flash light.

Case of oil lasts me about 6 months or so. Mobile 1 synthetic for around $20 at Sam's club. I would be paying a tad bit more in interest payments

/ How come gas vehicle engines don't burn oil? #20  
^^^^

Mystery oil also works for sticky valves..