How can a rifle smell like cigarettes?

/ How can a rifle smell like cigarettes? #1  

Jstpssng

Epic Contributor
Tractor
Kubota L3301
I stopped by the local sporting goods store to pick up a pair of slip on shoes. They had gone from $60 when I bought my last pair in 2019, to over $100; which was way over my budget. Instead I bought a pre AE model 94 Winchester for a wee bit more money. (It takes a certain kind of person to understand THAT logic. :D)

I broke the rifle in immediately by putting it on the front seat of the truck where it will spend time this fall, but it didn't take long to notice the reek of stale tobacco smoke. I can't imagine tracking a deer with that so a thorough cleaning is in order; exchanging the stench of tobacco for the smooth aroma of Hoppe's #9. Of course I will have to burn some gunpowder to make sure it's truly clean. 👌

/ How can a rifle smell like cigarettes? #3  
Worked with a guy that chain smoked, 5 to 6 packs a day (1970's). I would think that much smoking would infiltrate items or the tar would stick to stuff. Everything he was around smelled like smoke, including his rifles.

/ How can a rifle smell like cigarettes? #4  
A friend of my Dad, in Maryland, gave me a TEC 9, a long time ago, whom has since passed away. It had an odor to it that was hard to explain. Sort of a cross between tobacco chew and rotten eggs: An unpleasant scent. I cleaned it several times, down to component level, but never got the smell off of it and it stunk up the gun safe. It was kind of a stupid gun, and way too gangster for my tastes. Its one of the few guns I've ever sold that I was slightly worried about the Serial Number, and Background Check, but it passed.
Maybe Cosmoline gives this off if not removed correctly? What ever it was, it was embedded somehow into the very metal of the pistol. :)

Last edited:
   / How can a rifle smell like cigarettes? #7  
It's amazing how cigarette smoke infiltrates almost anything in it's vicinity.
I used to do computer support at the business where my sister was office manager.
( I got the work because I was cheap.)
So in the upstairs office where the accounting department was located, there were five women who were all smokers. The computers absolutely reeked of smoke and the insides were brown. I only ever brought one home to repair, after that I did all repairs onsite.
I even found a dead mouse that crawled into a 5 1/4" floppy drive once. Never smelled it, as it was probably overwhelmed by the smell of smoke. I think he died of cancer.

/ How can a rifle smell like cigarettes? #8  
Wrap it in news paper and it will absorb odor.