How agriculture works thread

/ How agriculture works thread
And that is why the "just add it" implements didn't gain much popularity.

/ How agriculture works thread #842  
Growing up here in upstate NY it was mostly dairy farms and lots of silage corn. Our first field choppers were one room pull type. Prior to that they used a corn binder and the shocks of corn were loaded on flat wagons and brought to the silos were a chopper blower was set up to chop and blow the silage up into the upright silos.
Even in the 50's and early 60's we would go out with corn knives and cut by hand the outside two rows and then cut all the corners out so it would not get knocked down, bring all those corn stocks back and run them through the old chopper blower. Then we would cut a land or two through the field for more efficient chopping. Once all the fields had been opened up we would then swap from the chopper blower to a table blower (Both of those were flat belt driven).
We don't do that now but with the huge numbers of deer around here now the outer 8 to 15 rows of corn are decimated in many fields. We do tend to try and leave enough row to get around the fields without knocking a lot of corn down.
We are still a bit behind the times in some ways in that we still use predominately a pull type forage harvester both for haylage and corn silage. My nephew did pick up an older NH self propelled chopper this year for opening fields (a 3 row chopper) it doesn't have a processor on it so it will only be used for opening fields and hopefully before the corn gets into full dent stage. Many of the fields around here are smaller fields many of them quite steep with lots of serious side slopes.
We also still chop into self unloading wagons, no trucks. Hauling with tractors and unloading into ag bags.

/ How agriculture works thread #844  
Growing up here in upstate NY it was mostly dairy farms and lots of silage corn. Our first field choppers were one room pull type. Prior to that they used a corn binder and the shocks of corn were loaded on flat wagons and brought to the silos were a chopper blower was set up to chop and blow the silage up into the upright silos.
Even in the 50's and early 60's we would go out with corn knives and cut by hand the outside two rows and then cut all the corners out so it would not get knocked down, bring all those corn stocks back and run them through the old chopper blower. Then we would cut a land or two through the field for more efficient chopping. Once all the fields had been opened up we would then swap from the chopper blower to a table blower (Both of those were flat belt driven).
We don't do that now but with the huge numbers of deer around here now the outer 8 to 15 rows of corn are decimated in many fields. We do tend to try and leave enough row to get around the fields without knocking a lot of corn down.
We are still a bit behind the times in some ways in that we still use predominately a pull type forage harvester both for haylage and corn silage. My nephew did pick up an older NH self propelled chopper this year for opening fields (a 3 row chopper) it doesn't have a processor on it so it will only be used for opening fields and hopefully before the corn gets into full dent stage. Many of the fields around here are smaller fields many of them quite steep with lots of serious side slopes.
We also still chop into self unloading wagons, no trucks. Hauling with tractors and unloading into ag bags.
Those kernel processers sure make a difference on how much goes through the cattle without being digested. When i was a kid we had free running hens that salvaged a lot of it out of the lots. By the time harvest came around and we were ready to clean out the lots they were picked pretty clean. I don't think that would fly selling eggs that were fed like that now though.

/ How agriculture works thread #845  
Here is a video of the Chain Mover mounted on a truck loading a stack of large round bales. It was teh same process for loading a stack. keep in mind who is recording the video - the driver - he is outside watching the truck load just to make sure i is going alright. He tippped the bed, engaged the chain, and put it in gear and let it back itself under.

/ How agriculture works thread #846  
Here is a video of the Chain Mover mounted on a truck loading a stack of large round bales. It was teh same process for loading a stack. keep in mind who is recording the video - the driver - he is outside watching the truck load just to make sure i is going alright. He tippped the bed, engaged the chain, and put it in gear and let it back itself under.
That is very cool. Never saw one before. You'd need a growler low reverse. His setup is perfectly timed.

/ How agriculture works thread
Seen lots and lots of hay stacks moveds that way. When folks switched to round bales less so but till done that way.

/ How agriculture works thread #848  
Interesting. They load cotton modules & wrapped round cotton bales in the field in a similar way. The truck beds are enclosed. Off to the gin they go.
1677454730793.jpeg

/ How agriculture works thread #849  
I don't think that would fly selling eggs that were fed like that now though.

The chicken farm down the road used to feed back a small percentage of dried chicken manure to the laying hens. Last year the same operation had to throw out the whole batch of chickens due to a bird flue virus. 3 million chickens and any eggs on site, mixed with compost to heat and kill the pathogens, then spread on the corn fields. Good way to recycle. We'll never know what else goes into their feed, but whatever it is, most can tell that those eggs are very different from any raised at home.

/ How agriculture works thread #850  
The chicken farm down the road used to feed back a small percentage of dried chicken manure to the laying hens. Last year the same operation had to throw out the whole batch of chickens due to a bird flue virus. 3 million chickens and any eggs on site, mixed with compost to heat and kill the pathogens, then spread on the corn fields. Good way to recycle. We'll never know what else goes into their feed, but whatever it is, most can tell that those eggs are very different from any raised at home.
Huh. I spent 30 plus years in the broiler chicken industry and never saw that on an ingredient list or inventory. Rendered meat & feather meal yes. The intestines & poop is where the bad stuff lives. Different strokes.