How agriculture works thread

/ How agriculture works thread #834  
The Finnish girl Amski is in the woods using a grapple log trailer to bring logs out. Seems this is a proportional video but I still like it.
A lot of equipment and screwing around for some two-bit logs. What do they use those for?

/ How agriculture works thread #836  
I was snooping today and I found this - basically it was the Farmhand F10 loader with modified mounting and bracing mounted on a Field Queen self-propelled forage harvester so that you could use the power unit all year round. Over the years there have been a lot of conversion systems like this that have never caught on. It seems that there is the basic row crop tractor that everything has to adapt to (usually as a realtively quick hitch pull-type piece of equipment) or the self-propelled machine that stands alone (Combines, swathers, forage harvesters, cotton pickers, sprayers, etc.). The inflexibility of the farmer to want to mount and dismount various units has fallen out of favor although back when farms were smaller they did use more of this high labor changeover, i.e. Farmall mounted cotton pickers, mounted corn pickers, front mounted corn cultivators, mounted forge harvesters. New Idea had a full line of changeover with a single power unit but it never took off. The only reason it had any of its sales was the fact that it provided essentially self-propelled forage harvesters and corn pickers with fairly wide headers and larger capacity than anything else in its time.

/ How agriculture works thread #837  
There was a few major reasons that it never caught on. It seems good on paper, but until you have had
the pleasure of mounting a mounted corn picker on a tractor in the fall you have no idea what you have missed.

To start with depending on what you had been doing with that tractor one of the first things you would likely have to do was change the wheel spacing at least the rears and if a wide front most likely the fronts also.

Then you had to find and gather up all of the mounting brackets and little pieces that like to hid over the 10 months or so since they had been used last. Especially all the nuts and bolts.

Then it was time to start getting ready to mount the large pieces, of course those large pieces are excellent nesting places for bees and or mice and maybe even a snake or two.

Once you have all the parts and pieces together and are going to get started you will likely have to find the manual to figure out what you did last year or just get after it because there is never time to plan for crop operation switching. And so you are going great things are lining up good and your going to get it mounted in one afternoon and then oh hell that piece has to go on before all these other ones, yank them all off and start over.

Oh heck it's getting dark, can't see and haven't even started evening feeding and chores. Well better get that done we'll finish this tomorrow.

The next day you finish getting it mounted and hooked up, greased and oiled and ready to go.

Now of course that tractor is now completely tied up for that job which may take a week or a month or longer. Oh that last hay field is ready now also well I guess we will be down one tractor so that will take twice as long as normal.

And then you notice how nice and snugly all the moving noise making vibrating equipment is all wrapped around you.
Now how in the heck do I get on or off this thing, damn can I even check the oil, I've got to climb on top of it to fill the fuel tank.

Now lets go out and run this contraption for 8-10 hours either sweating or freezing our butt off.

Now do you still want that fancy mounted equipment or one that you can back up to drop in a hitch pin, hook up a pto shaft, grease, lube and go to work with.
Oh the weathers changed and I need the tractor for something else, OK half an hour and it's ready for a different job.

That is just part of the reason the full mounted equipment never really took off.
It was to hard and time consuming to put on and take off.
My point of view, having done so.
More tractors, when you have a tractor for each implement you have almost enough.

/ How agriculture works thread #838  
There was a few major reasons that it never caught on. It seems good on paper, but until you have had
the pleasure of mounting a mounted corn picker on a tractor in the fall you have no idea what you have missed.

To start with depending on what you had been doing with that tractor one of the first things you would likely have to do was change the wheel spacing at least the rears and if a wide front most likely the fronts also.

Then you had to find and gather up all of the mounting brackets and little pieces that like to hid over the 10 months or so since they had been used last. Especially all the nuts and bolts.

Then it was time to start getting ready to mount the large pieces, of course those large pieces are excellent nesting places for bees and or mice and maybe even a snake or two.

Once you have all the parts and pieces together and are going to get started you will likely have to find the manual to figure out what you did last year or just get after it because there is never time to plan for crop operation switching. And so you are going great things are lining up good and your going to get it mounted in one afternoon and then oh hell that piece has to go on before all these other ones, yank them all off and start over.

Oh heck it's getting dark, can't see and haven't even started evening feeding and chores. Well better get that done we'll finish this tomorrow.

The next day you finish getting it mounted and hooked up, greased and oiled and ready to go.

Now of course that tractor is now completely tied up for that job which may take a week or a month or longer. Oh that last hay field is ready now also well I guess we will be down one tractor so that will take twice as long as normal.

And then you notice how nice and snugly all the moving noise making vibrating equipment is all wrapped around you.
Now how in the heck do I get on or off this thing, damn can I even check the oil, I've got to climb on top of it to fill the fuel tank.

Now lets go out and run this contraption for 8-10 hours either sweating or freezing our butt off.

Now do you still want that fancy mounted equipment or one that you can back up to drop in a hitch pin, hook up a pto shaft, grease, lube and go to work with.
Oh the weathers changed and I need the tractor for something else, OK half an hour and it's ready for a different job.

That is just part of the reason the full mounted equipment never really took off.
More tractors, when you have a tractor for each implement you have almost enough.
Great explanation of reality versus concept!

/ How agriculture works thread #839  
Dad had a two row mounted Oliver corn picker. Used a 77 for the tractor. It was a great innovation. He did a LOT of custom work with it.

Imagine only pull type pickers and/or combines. You have two choices. Tromp down a LOT of corn opening a field. Or hand shucking a LOT of corn opening a field.

Increased productivity and efficiency was incredible.

/ How agriculture works thread #840  

A neighbor farmer had a two row John Deere cotton picker he mounted on his JD 4010 back in the 70’s. I’m sure it was a bear to mount. It rested on a stand 50 weeks a year. Drove the underneath tractor backwards while picking. Similar to this:

1677420303173.jpeg