How agriculture works thread

/ How agriculture works thread
Never seen anything like that!!

But I had a combine with all his lights on come around the traffic circle at me one night. Made me think of Close Encounters.
They are not uncommon in the Midwest and they spread multiple products with them. New seen one doing lime. :unsure:

/ How agriculture works thread #332  
They are not uncommon in the Midwest and they spread multiple products with them. New seen one doing lime. :unsure:
I've spread thousands of tons of lime with a Big A. Tens of thousands of acres of dry fertilizer. Really hard on the knees.

/ How agriculture works thread #333  
I've spread thousands of tons of lime with a Big A. Tens of thousands of acres of dry fertilizer. Really hard on the knees.
Saw someone who was converting one to run a big hay baler. Looked like quite the project.

Aaron Z

/ How agriculture works thread #334  
Why is it "hard on the knees"?

/ How agriculture works thread #335  
And because small scale farming is also very important and a big part of the farming on my country, here is video of a TYM T450 preparing a small field.

That is nice deep and friable top soil. He is plowing deep.

/ How agriculture works thread #336  
Why is it "hard on the knees"?
The tires only run 3-5 psi air pressure for soft flotation. This causes them to be very squishy. So they tend to "bounce" along. Hard to stay in the seat. So, either fasten a seat belt tight which will rub you raw in a few hours. Or brace your feet on the floor, which wears out your knees by the end of a long day.

Was common to spread 1,000 acres of dry fertilizer in a day, 60ft swath. That's approximately 137 miles of field travel. Plus however many miles of roading between fields.

/ How agriculture works thread #337  
   / How agriculture works thread #338  
Knew that was coming. They just needed to create demand to elevate the cost of access.

/ How agriculture works thread #339  
Cougsfan - Back in the 1970s I was project engineer for Gleaner's hillside combines - used only out in your country. Came across a family farmer in Whitman County north of St John, around Ewan. Started by father in the 1940s, was a schoolteacher, switched to farming. When I caught up with them in 1973 the family farm had grown to 20,000 acres. The father who started the farm is gone, as are his sons who joined him in the operation, but his grandsons are still running the operation. They incorporated when one of the two sons of that second generation got a divorce that nearly wiped them out. Result is still a little family operation, 20,000 acres in the most fertile wheat growing region of the USA (Whitman County produces the most wheat of any county in the USA due to its soil and climate). They would probably have incorporated anyway but a divorce forced the situation. Picture is from Steptoe Butte
View attachment 695758
I drove Gleaner CH's in the 60's

/ How agriculture works thread #340  
Cougsfan - Back in the 1970s I was project engineer for Gleaner's hillside combines - used only out in your country. Came across a family farmer in Whitman County north of St John, around Ewan. Started by father in the 1940s, was a schoolteacher, switched to farming. When I caught up with them in 1973 the family farm had grown to 20,000 acres. The father who started the farm is gone, as are his sons who joined him in the operation, but his grandsons are still running the operation. They incorporated when one of the two sons of that second generation got a divorce that nearly wiped them out. Result is still a little family operation, 20,000 acres in the most fertile wheat growing region of the USA (Whitman County produces the most wheat of any county in the USA due to its soil and climate). They would probably have incorporated anyway but a divorce forced the situation. Picture is from Steptoe Butte
View attachment 695758
What a spectacular view. How was land like this formed?

Attachments

• 1619192944858.png
    1619192944858.png
    1.6 MB · Views: 52