How agriculture works thread

/ How agriculture works thread #571  
However, the demand for baled wheat straw (usually in rounds) is still quite good because cattle farmers and dairy operators use wheat straw with the addition of other grains in their tub grinders to make feed. Tub grinders aren't just for shredding old tires... Wheat straw in rounds is easily introduced into a tub grinder. Like I said previously, one guy down the road does nothing but round bale wheat straw in net and sells it to local cattle ops and dairy ops. He's especially busy in the winter months delivering it by the semi load. He contract bales everything, owns very little ground himself.
Very territory oriented. No straw here is used in that method that I am aware of. We have a lot of Cattle here. 4.35M in the State with most of them being in the Northern end where I am. Very few large rounds of straw baled each year. Mostly used for mulch. Small squares are of value for small operation bedding.

/ How agriculture works thread #572  
Very territory oriented. No straw here is used in that method that I am aware of. We have a lot of Cattle here. 4.35M in the State with most of them being in the Northern end where I am. Very few large rounds of straw baled each year. Mostly used for mulch. Small squares are of value for small operation bedding.
If the ranch operator owns a tub grinder, they will be hammermilling feed and mixing it with wheat straw but you would need to be nosey...lol 99% of everything here is confinement as well.

/ How agriculture works thread #573  
Picking refers to vegetable (truck farming) You harvest cereal grains as well as field corn. Everything is in the descriptive terms.
Many years ago we used a corn picker to pick ear corn. We then got a combine. My dad used to call it a pickersheller. It was common when I was a kid to say dad was picking corn.

/ How agriculture works thread #574  
We always picked cotton too.

/ How agriculture works thread #575  
Many years ago we used a corn picker to pick ear corn. We then got a combine. My dad used to call it a pickersheller. It was common when I was a kid to say dad was picking corn.
Us old timers still say "picking corn" here. The 30 somethings say "shelling corn". And all of us "cut beans". :)

/ How agriculture works thread #577  
When my dad grew field corn, it got picked by hand. We were so grateful one year he borrowed a 2 row picker.

/ How agriculture works thread #578  
Same here, picking corn. Not a lot of corn grown here since the nearby hog slaughter plant closed 40 years ago. Farmers small & large grew corn to feed a few or many hogs. The local high school teams are still called the Packers. I doubt many under 50 know why. (Swift Packing Co.)

A city girl recently asked me if I gathered the pecans around the house in the fall, I told her No, we pick’em up. On hands and knees if your serious about it. :)

/ How agriculture works thread #580  
Baling with a great sounding Fastrac 3185 and Krone Big Pack 1290 HDP in the UK.

@Hay Dude

CUMMINS POWER

My JCB had a really nice 5.9L Cummins in it.

1659695927538.jpeg

1659644687989.jpeg

I need to get a video of my 8.3L running my Krone. I’d take an 5.9/6.7/8.3 Cummins in every tractor I own. :cool:

1659644746557.jpeg

Great engines. My favorite.

Last edited: