House maintenance, who has the time..........

/ House maintenance, who has the time.......... #1  

Oldpath05

Tractor
none
One painting project done, one shingle project done and now on to the next one, new deck railings. Weekend house repairs seems to take longer, not to mention I hate house repair, the only way I like working with wood is a with a chainsaw and tractor. But the trouble is the only people I can afford to hire is me myself and I, neither one is good with a tape measure.............

IMG-3007 (2).JPG IMG-3047.JPG IMG-3046.JPG IMG-3114.JPG

IMG-3228.JPG IMG-3229.JPG IMG-3226.JPG<<<<Need 3 more sections like this, making them out of heavy red oak, my little ATV trailer makes a good work bench.

/ House maintenance, who has the time.......... #2  
I would agree, I'm sick of house maintenance. But my 1970 House always seems to need something. It never ends.

/ House maintenance, who has the time.......... #3  
as far as outside. I have very little maintenance . All brick with vinyl soffit. I have had to replace a few 5/4 deck boards from time to time.
Installed a new A/C system about 6 months ago.
I think I'm good for a while

I'm Back to re claiming an old grown up pasture

/ House maintenance, who has the time.......... #4  
I do all my house maintenance. I'm retired and have plenty of time. I've always done all my house maintenance. That way I know how it's done and that it's been done right. I built my PanAbode cedar timber home myself in 1982. It only requires occasional exterior staining. I would probably have a different opinion if it required a lot of maintenance.

/ House maintenance, who has the time.......... #5  
But my 1970 House always seems to need something. It never ends.

That's almost new. Mine was built in the 1830s. Between that and 3 vehicles, none of which are newer than 2006 and there's always plenty to do!

/ House maintenance, who has the time..........
I would agree, I'm sick of house maintenance. But my 1970 House always seems to need something. It never ends.

Thankyou that comment made me feel better, the ole saying "misery loves company" apply's here........... My house is homemade, started back in 1979 with someone pored the foundation and lived in that 4 years, 83-ish started the rest with some help from BIL to get me started. Pine and hemlock shingles were put on in 85, sawed at my fathers shingle mill and now 35 years later when doing ladder house maintenance, I shake my head and ask why didn't I stop at one story, ladder work was bad enough 35 years ago but now I hate it and it scares me..........

That's almost new. Mine was built in the 1830s. Between that and 3 vehicles, none of which are newer than 2006 and there's always plenty to do!

WOW, that's back in the day of square nails wooden pegs and every house had a barn, if those wall could talk. Any old pictures of it from the 1800s?

/ House maintenance, who has the time.......... #8  
Woodworking is best done with a box of Eddylites!

The pine shingles I took off weren't bad underneath considering they was only painted once. When putting on wooden shingles one has to have patience especially when going around windows, but I bet a lot more patience 50 years ago, now with battery circular saws, drills and screws, it must be a lot easier, tractors with FEL is a nice plus to, and that's where bigger is better, what a time saver.

Heres some of the tricks of the trade I used to put on shingles, the main thing is watch the angles and how they'r transferred to shingle, down on the 5" board is diferrent angle then when the bevel is a side the combo square. I started against the roof, noticed real quick that a hammer isn't going to work, angle drill time, bet they didn't have that 50 years ago.

IMG-3095.JPG IMG-3103.JPG IMG-3093.JPG IMG-3082 (1).JPG

IMG-3097 (2).JPG IMG-3083 (1).jpg IMG-3089.JPG

/ House maintenance, who has the time.......... #10  
My cedar home sits on the exact spot where the original homesteader built his original home. At first they lived in a combination - barn, chicken house, hay storage building. They lived on the second floor - along with the hay. The chickens and sheep lived on the ground floor. Must have been really fun.

No idea how long this "combo living" went on, but I bet they were glad to get a separate house. The homestead house was very simple - one room upstairs, one room downstairs. With a very fine root cellar under this house.