Hot Tub Experiences?

/ Hot Tub Experiences? #1  

daugen

Super Star Member
Tractor
in between now
And I don't mean what you did in them...:dance1:

but rather have you owned one, and did you learn some
"boy I wish I knew this before I bought this thing" important knowledge?

I'm considering a small three person hot tub for my back porch so I can soak in hot water for
what is unfortunately pretty serious arthritis. Luckily hot water helps immensely.

The ones I have looked at are pretty fully equipped, though I do not want light or music packages.
I want peace and quiet back there, not winky lights and subwoofers thumping the water...
They all say they have enormous insulation, use the latest techniques, have the most therapeutic nozzles, blah blah.
And I have never heard of any of them.

the one that fits the best at the end of my back porch has 225 gallons, a 7hp single pump, 26 outlets in six varieties, and a three year everything warranty.
It has a 4kw heater and is only 60 inches wide so it fits just perfectly, albeit with a house jack and a brace underneath. No way am I putting a ton of weight on one spot on that deck. It's only a three foot drop but...

what should I look for, ask for?
I asked about heating with propane and was told the conversion was not inexpensive and to try the electric first. It was so well insulated the energy cost is low, blah blah. Yeah, maybe for the Sultan of Brunei... So lastly, what does it cost to run one of these things on some kind of set back basis so it isn't kept all the way hot all day? I would use it every day, likely morning and night.

Thanks very much for feedback. Drew

/ Hot Tub Experiences? #2  
I have a 6 person softub. 115 V and heats with scavenged heat from its 1 hp circulating pump. I too have it for chronic arthritis and it is a life changer. Cost to operate is approx $25 a month for electricity. Maybe $4 a month for chemicals. Holds 300 gal. Always on and very well insulated and is in an unheated porch. I believe today's canadian cost is around $3500. I have no regrets or complaints.

/ Hot Tub Experiences? #3  
Insulation is the key to low cost. In my research (dont have a tub yet) operating costs can vary greatly depending on brand.

For me Beachcomber is leading the way. They are very well insulated and well made. All the stuff Ive read on the web (and looking at the tub in person) leads me to believe that. The one Im looking at from Beachcomber is a model 500 Hybrid (I think).. Its supposed to add about $30/month to the power bill on average for the year (this is from the government Energy sticker on it) . As a comparison, a close friend has one and its almost bankrupted him from the high power bills. He's said its added $300 to his bill in winter.

I dont want a "party tub" either. Just high quality powerful pumps and low operating costs.

Be well aware and do a TON of research. There are lots of fly by night and ever some established brands out there with a lot of problems and high operating costs.

/ Hot Tub Experiences? #4  
And I don't mean what you did in them...:dance1:

but rather have you owned one, and did you learn some
"boy I wish I knew this before I bought this thing" important knowledge?

I'm considering a small three person hot tub for my back porch so I can soak in hot water for
what is unfortunately pretty serious arthritis. Luckily hot water helps immensely.

The ones I have looked at are pretty fully equipped, though I do not want light or music packages.
I want peace and quiet back there, not winky lights and subwoofers thumping the water...
They all say they have enormous insulation, use the latest techniques, have the most therapeutic nozzles, blah blah.
And I have never heard of any of them.

the one that fits the best at the end of my back porch has 225 gallons, a 7hp single pump, 26 outlets in six varieties, and a three year everything warranty.
It has a 4kw heater and is only 60 inches wide so it fits just perfectly, albeit with a house jack and a brace underneath. No way am I putting a ton of weight on one spot on that deck. It's only a three foot drop but...

what should I look for, ask for?
I asked about heating with propane and was told the conversion was not inexpensive and to try the electric first. It was so well insulated the energy cost is low, blah blah. Yeah, maybe for the Sultan of Brunei... So lastly, what does it cost to run one of these things on some kind of set back basis so it isn't kept all the way hot all day? I would use it every day, likely morning and night.

Thanks very much for feedback. Drew
Drew you know this will limit you to 2 ladies at a time in the tub?? :D Just sayin...........

/ Hot Tub Experiences? #5  
We have had a three-person tub for several years. Small is good. Fairly painless to maintain. We change the water a couple of times per year - but it's really my wife and me in the tub. I don't think that we spend more than $20/month with electricity and chemicals. Funny thing is that we'll use it in the snow, but not in the rain. Good luck.

/ Hot Tub Experiences? #6  
Boy that's sounds pretty good right about now. Been on the backhoe most of the day, except for an hour or so tight in loose joy sticks.

/ Hot Tub Experiences? #7  
I have several friends with tubs. Can't really add much insight to brand new tubs.
I have been involved in fixing broken ones. Pumps, control boards and heaters seem to be unique and expensive.
God forbid there is a leak in the tubing and fittings. Took the sides off and it looked like two drunk hillbillies had sprayed the tubing and tub with foam. Not a professional looking build. Had to cut / scrape the "insulation" off until we found the leak in the flexible tubes.
Hot tubs kind of remind me of campers and rvs. Look pretty good on the outside. Take the skin off and it's pretty much hacked together.

/ Hot Tub Experiences? #8  
I have several friends Can't really add much insight
God forbid looked like two drunk hillbillies we found the leak in the flexible tubes. Look pretty good on the outside. Take the skin off and it's pretty much hacked together.

Hmmm.

/ Hot Tub Experiences? #10  
After 25 years of hot tubs, 5 of them but larger than you are considering, I've found that you get what you pay for. Buy the most expensive one you can find that still rates well.

Research the Internet. It would be nice if Consumer Reports or a similar service did a review on them. They don't so you have to rely on posts on forums.

My most recent one is a Hot Springs brand. It has held up for 7 years with a couple of electronic problems. Still operating like new. Now just wait until tomorrow!