Hot hose protection?

/ Hot hose protection? #11  
I run SUDT in the hydraulics. It has the standard B21 oil cooler.

Guess you bought yours used? Certainly Kubota did not sell it to you with something other than SUDT in it?

Yes, I guessed that was the case. BTW, we both mean Super UDT2, I think. But nowdays I also call it simply SUDT.

Kubota is top quality equipment - as good or better than half a dozen other top quality brands. But like all of them, when they do something that isn't quite right they aren't adverse to dancing around the issue rather than just owning up and fixing it.

You might want to check some older threads and see if the B21 oil cooler is considered to be adequate and if any changes are offered. I don't know; I've never owned a B21 - or any of that TLB series. But someday I hope to.

rScotty

/ Hot hose protection?
It's ancient history, but no....We bought our tractor brand new in 2008. Back then, using other trans/hyd oil instead of Kubota's UDT or Super UDT was common at Kubota dealers because sometimes - not always - the Kubota oils made the HST and hydraulic pump whine so loudly that it was offensive. It was a commonplace problem; you can look at old posts here on TBN.

Switching to another major brand trans/hydraulic oils was known to fix the whining, so some dealers used alternative trans/hydraulic oils. My dealer was real honest about it. He used New Holland Multi-G in all Kubotas simply because it was the best deal he could find on a quality trans/hydraulic oil that would quieten the whining.
He bought it in bulk from NH Ag tractor dealer across the road & even showed me the 50 gal barrels in his shop.

A few years later we found out why in this letter from Corporate Kubota. Warning: it's does not show Corporate Kubota as being very ethical. Quite the opposite. So if your orange hat fits well you might wantto give it a pass.

A few years later, Kubota changed the name from "Super UDT" to "Super UDT2" & swept it all under a rug hoping nobody would notice. If they had simply refunded for the counterfeit Super UDT they sold they could have gotten away with it.

rScotty

View attachment 761755

Thanks for the information.

However, I don't see that letter as showing Kubota to be unethical at all. Maybe I missed something. It was a 3rd party apparently not associated with Kubota, that did the unethical thing.

Kubota attempted to get a list of customers to contact them and apparently was unsuccessful. No idea how hard they actually tried though.

Maybe there is more to the story?

/ Hot hose protection? #13  
Thanks for the information.

However, I don't see that letter as showing Kubota to be unethical at all. Maybe I missed something. It was a 3rd party apparently not associated with Kubota, that did the unethical thing.

Kubota attempted to get a list of customers to contact them and apparently was unsuccessful. No idea how hard they actually tried though.

Maybe there is more to the story?

I think you have the story right. You and I differ on interpretation and maybe that is just a bit of generational or regional bias.
Where I come from, What Kubota did is called "passing the buck". I guess holding that opinion shows that I am both old and old-fashioned - which are all true enough. But it used to be considered unethical for a company to let their customers shoulder an entire problem because of something that manufacturers and suppliers both knew was defective. Obviously both the Kubota Corp and Royal Oil knew what they were doing.

The customer is the only one that is blameless here - which is a claim that neither Kubota nor Royal Oil can make - although both are trying.

Kubota could have contacted the customers themselves - that's what I would have expected an ethical company to do when they knew they were selling a defective product. Regardless of whether they did it deliberately or not. They have the largest investment and the most to lose or gain. Might as well sieze the moral high ground....

At least they could have offered to refund money for the unopened containers of counterfeit oil they sold.
They refused to do either. Instead preferring profit as being more important than ethics and morals.

My conclusion on Kubota is: Nice tractors; despicable corporate ethics.

Or maybe I'm just out of date with my pre-21st century corporate ethics. I'll leave that for readers to decide.
rScotty

Attachments

• Counterfeit Kubota Oil.jpeg
    Counterfeit Kubota Oil.jpeg
    190.5 KB · Views: 55
Last edited:
   / Hot hose protection?
I think you have the story right. You and I differ on interpretation and maybe that is just a bit of generational or regional bias.
Where I come from, What Kubota did is called "passing the buck". I guess holding that opinion shows that I am both old and old-fashioned - which are all true enough. But it used to be considered unethical for a company to let their customers shoulder an entire problem because of something that manufacturers and suppliers both knew was defective. Obviously both the Kubota Corp and Royal Oil knew what they were doing.

The customer is the only one that is blameless here - which is a claim that neither Kubota nor Royal Oil can make - although both are trying.

Kubota could have contacted the customers themselves - that's what I would have expected an ethical company to do when they knew they were selling a defective product. Regardless of whether they did it deliberately or not. They have the largest investment and the most to lose or gain. Might as well sieze the moral high ground....

At least they could have offered to refund money for the unopened containers of counterfeit oil they sold.
They refused to do either. Instead preferring profit as being more important than ethics and morals.

My conclusion on Kubota is: Nice tractors; despicable corporate ethics.

Or maybe I'm just out of date with my pre-21st century corporate ethics. I'll leave that for readers to decide.
rScotty

Got ya. Yeah, I guess it could be seen as "passing the buck". I the Corporate world of today, it seems a mild faux pas. I'm 76, raised in the NE and do remember when some Corporations would show some "stand up ness" when something was iffy.

I tend to get a bit "lawyer-ly, seeing this as Kubota being informed that "a sales person" (presumably NOT a Kubota sales person, but that is uncertain) had sold "him" (presumably the reporting dealer) oil purporting to be Kubota oil.

It is unclear how hard Kubota tried to find the dealers and end customers that might have been affected and what they would have done about it. Since you mentioned this in the context you did, I presume that letter was pretty much the end of it.

I'll have to search for the B21 oil cooler threads. Thanks for the lead.

/ Hot hose protection? #16  
SNIP
I'll have to search for the B21 oil cooler threads. Thanks for the lead.

Yeah. Ancient History; and the dealers had figured out what the fix was before they even knew why.

Before we get too far off track, we need to see what can be done about running that oil a little cooler. I'm assumng that it would be better if it was running at a lower temperature.

/ Hot hose protection?
Yeah. Ancient History; and the dealers had figured out what the fix was before they even knew why.

Before we get too far off track, we need to see what can be done about running that oil a little cooler. I'm assumng that it would be better if it was running at a lower temperature.

I've not found a thing about oil cooler size, or even hot oil regarding the B21.

/ Hot hose protection? #18  
I've not found a thing about oil cooler size, or even hot oil regarding the B21.

I remember some hot oil issues with some of the B - or maybe it was the BX series. As I recall, they had to do with the position of the oil cooler and an electric? cooling fan. Where is the oil cooler on the B21? BTW, does the B21 shop manual have one of those artist's drawings of the cooling system circulation? That might gain us some insight.

/ Hot hose protection?
I remember some hot oil issues with some of the B - or maybe it was the BX series. As I recall, they had to do with the position of the oil cooler and an electric? cooling fan. Where is the oil cooler on the B21? BTW, does the B21 shop manual have one of those artist's drawings of the cooling system circulation? That might gain us some insight.
It sits in front of the engine radiator and mechanical drive fan. Seems to be "full flow" design.

/ Hot hose protection? #20  
Are the radiators clean enough to see light through them?