Hot hose protection?

/ Hot hose protection? #1  

joea99

Platinum Member
Tractor
Kubota B21, JD 240GT
What can I use to protect from burns due to hot hydraulic lines and fittings? I could fabricate a metal shield, but it might be simpler to just wrap the hose end and fittings with something like woven hose protector and leave it a bit loose. Would not prevent a determined fool from getting burned, but maybe the occasionally forgetful old fool might avoid a shock.

These fittings are on a top and tilt control valve and pretty near operators right arm and can be grazed when reaching for the valve handles. After a bit, those lines get quite hot. I just rearranged the fittings to provide more space which may be enough by itself, but, I'd rather put something in there anyway.

Got some black plastic spiral wrap hose protector on hand, as well as some woven plastic electrical cable protector, but I'd rather have something like the fabric sleeve used for hose protection. Not finding much probably not using the right search terms.

/ Hot hose protection? #3  
Maybe check out the tape they wrap up headers with. Designed for hotter than hydraulics run by a good margin. May retain water & rot things out faster though. Likely to be fiberglass, which wouldn't be great to touch.

Dura-Wrap Sleeving from Hydraulic Parts - BoltOnHooks LLC is designed for hydraulic hoses. I think I have some on a few of my impliments.

/ Hot hose protection? #4  
what lines are getting this hot @joea99 ? Just checking we're talking about a "normal" mobile system like a tractor.

The max fluid temp in a normal tractor system is not that hot as even plastics go (your skin ... not so tough! :) )

The "hose protectors" that came on my Kioti are simply tubular webbing, likely polyester vs nylon (since polyester has a higher ignition temperature)
example (it's available many places) 2" White Polyester Tubular Webbing
1662603609173.png

/ Hot hose protection?
what lines are getting this hot @joea99 ? Just checking we're talking about a "normal" mobile system like a tractor.

The max fluid temp in a normal tractor system is not that hot as even plastics go (your skin ... not so tough! :) )

The "hose protectors" that came on my Kioti are simply tubular webbing, likely polyester vs nylon (since polyester has a higher ignition temperature)
example (it's available many places) 2" White Polyester Tubular Webbing
One is the "tank" return, the other is the power beyond line. What burns me are the steel fittings that go into the valve. Only after working the implement, in this case a box blade, a lot while "fixing" washouts in the road.

I don't know that I'd get a serious burn if I reacted slowly, but it sure makes me jump when I do it. Could be if I wore long sleeves I'd not react like that.

Something like what you show is what I was thinking, but, in black.

Last edited:
   / Hot hose protection? #6  
Mine doesn't get hot. Warm is about all. But for abrasion protection I bought braided hose sleeve in a couple of 20 foot rolls on Amazon. I think it was 1" ID. Not sure on the size, but think so. Anyway, just get it big enough inside diameter to slide over the fittings on at least one end of each hose you are going to cover. Use zip ties to hold it in place.

I learned to cut the hose sleeve longer so that it would also cover the metal fittings on the ends of the hoses. The zip ties work better when tightening over the metal fittings anyway.

BTW, just how hot does your hydraulic fluid get? Ever measured it? Hydraulic fluid has a definite high temperature rating & lower than I thought it would be when I looked it up. The fluid ages more quickly when it gets hot. It's worth checking the specs on whatever brand of fluid you use and make sure it is good for higher temperatures.

It also wouldn't hurt to cool the fluid down a bit. Cooler would be good for everything & last longer. It might be reasonable to improve the cooling airflow over the radiator or add more radiator or make whatever changes seem best.

/ Hot hose protection?
Mine doesn't get hot. Warm is about all. But for abrasion protection I bought braided hose sleeve in a couple of 20 foot rolls on Amazon. I think it was 1" ID. Not sure on the size, but think so. Anyway, just get it big enough inside diameter to slide over the fittings on at least one end of each hose you are going to cover. Use zip ties to hold it in place.

I learned to cut the hose sleeve longer so that it would also cover the metal fittings on the ends of the hoses. The zip ties work better when tightening over the metal fittings anyway.

BTW, just how hot does your hydraulic fluid get? Ever measured it? Hydraulic fluid has a definite high temperature rating & lower than I thought it would be when I looked it up. The fluid ages more quickly when it gets hot. It's worth checking the specs on whatever brand of fluid you use and make sure it is good for higher temperatures.

It also wouldn't hurt to cool the fluid down a bit. Cooler would be good for everything & last longer. It might be reasonable to improve the cooling airflow over the radiator or add more radiator or make whatever changes seem best.

Do you have hydrostatic or gear drive? Mine is hydro and a shared hydraulic system, so it can get pretty hot at times.

I'll run it later today or tomorrow and try to measure it on the pipe surface.

/ Hot hose protection? #8  
Do you have hydrostatic or gear drive? Mine is hydro and a shared hydraulic system, so it can get pretty hot at times.

I'll run it later today or tomorrow and try to measure it on the pipe surface.

Ours is a Kubota HST+ with several pumps & moves a lot of fluid around. It does have a fairly large hydraulic radiator up front. I used to run New Holland/Alhambra Multi-G 134 trans/hydraulic fluid for about the first 500 hours. For the next 500 I've been running Kubota SUDT. They seem to be similar fluids - but how would I know?
I do know if mine was running hot I'd want to know exactly what fluid and how hot. It wouldn't put me in panic mode....but might put me in fix it mode

RScotty

/ Hot hose protection?
Ours is a Kubota HST+ with several pumps & moves a lot of fluid around. It does have a fairly large hydraulic radiator up front. I used to run New Holland/Alhambra Multi-G 134 trans/hydraulic fluid for about the first 500 hours. For the next 500 I've been running Kubota SUDT. They seem to be similar fluids - but how would I know?
I do know if mine was running hot I'd want to know exactly what fluid and how hot. It wouldn't put me in panic mode....but might put me in fix it mode

RScotty
I run SUDT in the hydraulics. It has the standard B21 oil cooler.

Guess you bought yours used? Certainly Kubota did not sell it to you with something other than SUDT in it?

/ Hot hose protection? #10  
It's ancient history, but no....We bought our tractor brand new in 2008. Back then, using other trans/hyd oil instead of Kubota's UDT or Super UDT was common at Kubota dealers because sometimes - not always - the Kubota oils made the HST and hydraulic pump whine so loudly that it was offensive. It was a commonplace problem; you can look at old posts here on TBN.

Switching to another major brand trans/hydraulic oils was known to fix the whining, so some dealers used alternative trans/hydraulic oils. My dealer was real honest about it. He used New Holland Multi-G in all Kubotas simply because it was the best deal he could find on a quality trans/hydraulic oil that would quieten the whining.
He bought it in bulk from NH Ag tractor dealer across the road & even showed me the 50 gal barrels in his shop.

A few years later we found out why in this letter from Corporate Kubota. Warning: it's does not show Corporate Kubota as being very ethical. Quite the opposite. So if your orange hat fits well you might wantto give it a pass.

A few years later, Kubota changed the name from "Super UDT" to "Super UDT2" & swept it all under a rug hoping nobody would notice. If they had simply refunded for the counterfeit Super UDT they sold they could have gotten away with it.

rScotty

Counterfeit Kubota Oil.jpeg