hose size and type

/ hose size and type #1  

cmyoung2

Gold Member
Tractor
BCS 850, Kubota BX2230 w/FEL, mid mount mower, 41" tiller Kubota L3600 w/4-1FEL, Farmi winch
Kubota L3600 with Great Bend 280 loader, rear top link and side link. Hoses are almost 30 years old, not leaking yet, but looking pretty rough. One going to the top link got crushed and the top link is real slow in one direction. My plan is to replace a few at a time, starting with the ones at the joystick. Some of the hoses appear to be 3/8", the ones going to the 4in1 bucket are 1/4". What is the normal size on a small tractor like this, and/or is bigger better? Also, our local Tractor supply has some lengths premade, or our local CarQuest can make them. Which would be better? Hopefully very soon the 4in1 will have a quick connect so I can add a set of forks with a grapple, if that makes a difference in hose size headed that direction.
Thanks

/ hose size and type #2  
I would probably use 3/8" on the grapple. Also, if it's not an issue, take both sets of top and tilt hoses to Carquest and have them made. I would think that they are 1/4". When I was doing "T-N-T" kits, I did the cylinder hoses on 1/4" and the supply hoses to the valve 3/8".

/ hose size and type #3  
My advice is the same as above - just bring the old hoses in, and get new ones made. They make them quick, are very reasonably priced, and you know the new ones will fit perfectly.

I have a heavy duty truck shop in town that has their own hose department. Maybe search for one of those places close by.

I’ve seen signs outside NAPA stores saying that they make hoses, but I’ve never tried them.

/ hose size and type
Sounds good, we live in a very rural area in NW NC, but have CarQuest, NAPA, O'Reillys, and AutoZone in town, I know CarQuest and NAPA make hoses, just happen to do more business with CarQuest. Only reason I was wondering about the size was if there would be a performance difference between 3/8" and 1/4" Seems like the hoses going to the joystick are 3/8', the ones going to the toplink and 4in1 bucket are 1/4', look to be the same size fittings

/ hose size and type #5  
Try Surplus center in Nebraska. They have a selection of lengths and sizes pre-made if you have a common connector type NPT or JIC. I've purchased several from them and have been pleased with the quality and they are a heck of a lot cheaper than what I can get them locally for -something like a third of the price

/ hose size and type #6  
Sounds good, we live in a very rural area in NW NC, but have CarQuest, NAPA, O'Reillys, and AutoZone in town, I know CarQuest and NAPA make hoses, just happen to do more business with CarQuest. Only reason I was wondering about the size was if there would be a performance difference between 3/8" and 1/4" Seems like the hoses going to the joystick are 3/8', the ones going to the top link and 4in1 bucket are 1/4', look to be the same size fittings
You need to use the same size hoses that are on the machine.

If the exterior hose carcass is brittle they all need to be replaced to prevent them from
blowing as the inner carcass of the hose is also degraded from age.

The hoses you have are 2 wire braid no. 4 and no. 6 in hose size.

Each hose will have an identifying size inked and molded into
the outer hose carcass if it is not brittle and broken up.

Changing the hose size is not worth the time or money as the oil flow circuit is
the same smaller size and your oil flow volume will not change as the valve
will only allow so much oil to flow through it.

The hose maker would need to order new crimp on adapter fittings or
charge you for additional hydraulic fittings.

If you order them from the Surplus Center folks you have to be sure to
measure them correctly from the end of one fitting to the other end to
assure they are the correct length and provide them with the numbers
on the hydraulic fittings to assure they will crimp on the right ones for you.

It is better for you to have them made locally and ask them to use a length
of hose sleeve on the hoses outside your tractor cab to protect them.

/ hose size and type #7  
You need to use the same size hoses that are on the machine.

If the exterior hose carcass is brittle they all need to be replaced to prevent them from
blowing as the inner carcass of the hose is also degraded from age.

The hoses you have are 2 wire braid no. 4 and no. 6 in hose size.

Each hose will have an identifying size inked and molded into
the outer hose carcass if it is not brittle and broken up.

Changing the hose size is not worth the time or money as the oil flow circuit is
the same smaller size and your oil flow volume will not change as the valve
will only allow so much oil to flow through it.

The hose maker would need to order new crimp on adapter fittings or
charge you for additional hydraulic fittings.

If you order them from the Surplus Center folks you have to be sure to
measure them correctly from the end of one fitting to the other end to
assure they are the correct length and provide them with the numbers
on the hydraulic fittings to assure they will crimp on the right ones for you.

It is better for you to have them made locally and ask them to use a length
of hose sleeve on the hoses outside your tractor cab to protect them.
Surplus Center ones are already made up and crimped on in specific sizes and premade lengths. Choices are JIC or NPT. Agree the outside thickness of a given size hose typically corresponds to the pressure rating. For example thicker 3/8 hose is usually rated for more pressure than thinner 3/8 hose but they both flow the same as the internal diameter is the same.

/ hose size and type #8  
Kubota L3600 with Great Bend 280 loader, rear top link and side link. Hoses are almost 30 years old, not leaking yet, but looking pretty rough. One going to the top link got crushed and the top link is real slow in one direction. My plan is to replace a few at a time, starting with the ones at the joystick. Some of the hoses appear to be 3/8", the ones going to the 4in1 bucket are 1/4". What is the normal size on a small tractor like this, and/or is bigger better? Also, our local Tractor supply has some lengths premade, or our local CarQuest can make them. Which would be better? Hopefully very soon the 4in1 will have a quick connect so I can add a set of forks with a grapple, if that makes a difference in hose size headed that direction.
Thanks
Replace with the existing diameters. You don't want a lot of flow in the FEL ckt as it can make it hard to be spot on in your controlling the position/tilt at PTO RPMs.