Horsepower increase

/ Horsepower increase #1  

Brady D

Silver Member
Tractor
Ford 1910, Case farmall 95, John Deere 317g
Is it possible to increase the power on a tractor?if so what’s the best way to do it

/ Horsepower increase #2  
Start with a Google search:

LINK: tractor turning up the power

Consider if it is prudent to increase power on a nearly 40 year old tractor for which parts may be in limited supply.

As the Ford 1910 produces its 32-horsepower at a brisk 2,500 rpm in stock condition, if you turn up the fuel the engine will be revving near 3,000 rpm. Watch the engine temperature gauge under load!!!!

Last edited:
   / Horsepower increase #3  
ECM programming on the modern machines/standard engine swap/hot rodding techniques on older mechanical machines. Neither approach will be "easy", but if you know your way around the systems & don't mind making mistakes that might destroy the engine as you learn ... go for it. On the newer machines, you will probably be violating any number of EPA laws in addition to destroying your warranty, so those are other considerations, not to mention that the systems & interfaces tend to be proprietary & different between manufacturers so getting access to the fuel maps & timing could be an adventure in & of itself. If it was me (AND I had another tractor available for necessary work) I'd start with an older, tired tractor with mechanical injection and a wet sleeve cylinder set-up. Rebuild the top end as necessary (assuming the crank journals are in decent/salvageable shape & the heads/deck don't require too much machine work, then when you are back/close to stock (as new power), if that isn't enough, look at bigger injectors & turbo, a custom ground cam, and injector pump upgrades. Once done, you'll have a "custom" tractor so be prepared that you will be the only one that can do repairs since no manufacturer specs exist for what you've done. Not cheap. You'd probably be better off simply buying a used bigger HP tractor. If the problem isn't HP per se, but performance of your hydraulics, you could look at hydraulic pump upgrades which might be simple R&R bolt-ons. What is the problem & what do you need the power for?

/ Horsepower increase #4  
Id be hesitant on a 1910.

Alot of tractors across different HP levels use the same engine but different tuning.
For example....the modern deere 5045e, 5055e, 5065e, 5075e ALL use the same 2.9L turbo engine. Just different tuning to get a 45-75hp range.

Kubota L3301 and L3901 share the same engine.....one is just tuned hotter (or the other is de-tuned).

However....I dont see ANY similar tractors in the 00, 10, 20 series fords that use the same engine at a higher power level than yours.

I know there are exceptions to the rule.....but it seems manufactures like to stop at 20hp/L for NA and 25HP/L for turbo. And you are already right there.

I too question why you need more power? And if there are other ways around it. Its not like you are gonna do anything that is gonna magically do to turn a 32hp machine into a 50hp machine.

Maybe 10% boost in power on a dyno.....but I doubt you would notice the difference between 32hp and 35hp in the real world.

Honestly probably cheaper and better if you need more HP is to sell your tractor and get a bigger one

/ Horsepower increase #6  
A tubrocharger is always an option on a modern engine that is built for it. I would not risk ruin to my Vintage engine trying to make one work, but maybe others have different opinions.

/ Horsepower increase #7  
Is it possible to increase the power on a tractor?if so what’s the best way to do it
Power to where , wheels ?
Heres an older TBN thread were some of us within specs bumped up the lift capacitie on our FEL , etc . Can't speak for all models but we done it on the L2800/L3400 Bota's . After help from this thread and member support I did it too mine within spec's and it worked well . Well worth checking , seems like factory set flow lower to purhaps protect the warranty . Some folks here might remember this thread .

/ Horsepower increase #8  
The BEST way - purchase a bigger tractor.

/ Horsepower increase #9  
A tubrocharger is always an option on a modern engine that is built for it. I would not risk ruin to my Vintage engine trying to make one work, but maybe others have different opinions.

This is the easiest way, but at what cost? The only way to tell if your engine would hold up is to try, but if it doesn't it'll get expensive fast.

If you do try it, let me know and maybe I'll try it on mine :p

Typically turbo engines have stronger rods and other internal upgrades to support the added cylinder pressure.

If you're really pushing the limits of your tractor you can always try making sure the fuel system is in top condition.

I have an IDI diesel in my truck and the fuel system working correctly and timing being correct can be the difference between running strong and barely moving.

Since your tractor has such low hours you may want to try some "Hotshots secret" fuel system cleaner on your next fillup. It's done a good job cleaning up dirty fuel systems in a few trucks on another forum I'm on and I've had good luck with it as well.

/ Horsepower increase #10  
What do you need the power for? HP increases tend to occur at higher RPM, so 1) you won't see the gains unless you are redlining the tach, and 2) to get the high rpm performance often calls for a sacrifice in low rpm performance (think of the idle on a tricked out strip car that won't stay running without a constant bump of the pedal when idling), 3) even a simple turbo upgrade requires exhaust pressure (faster revving) to spool up & you won't see much improvement at lower rpm (could be worse if you are over-fueling before the turbo spools). Finally, do you have the traction to get the extra power to the ground, or are you simply spinning your wheels (literally and figuratively).

You get speed at the expense of reliability and reduced engine life plus you really need to monitor engine temps & do other upgrades to keep from destroying the engine (bigger radiators, oil coolers, water & oil pumps, the list goes on). Racers are known to rebuild engines for each race & weekend hot rodders usually have a less extreme backup vehicle for their daily driver. If you are looking for low end torque, nothing beats displacement, but then you are stressing other parts of your tractor (transmission, frame, axles, take your pick). Everything is a trade-off, so what are you trying to achieve? There are much smarter folks than me on the forum who can give you good advice on tractor specific considerations that may be more cost effective than hot rodding your existing machine.

To answer your original questions "is it possible to increase power on a tractor?" Absolutely ... with enough money, knowledge, & time you can increase power on ANY vehicle. "What's the best way to do it?" Can't answer that unless we know the problem you are trying to solve that you think "power" will rectify.

Last edited: