Horse stable floor?

/ Horse stable floor? #1  

Fuddy1952

Elite Member
Tractor
1973 Economy and 2018 John Deere 3038E
I'm in process of building a horse barn, 36'x52'...for now just two 12x12 stalls, dutch doors to outside, 2) 12ft sliding doors each end.
Original idea is "L" shape concrete...so 36x12 pull through and 12x12 tack room concrete, concrete ramps either end.
Concrete has not been poured yet...it's under roof with sides.
My question is I'm thinking I ought to concrete the whole thing. The 12x12 two stalls I'd put down rubber mats and straw.
It would be so easy to clean and the whole barn would stay cleaner.
As I'm writing this I just got a call from contractor who said concrete right now is $135/yard. One part, separate shed is off, equipment storage, gravel is fine.
Thoughts?

/ Horse stable floor? #2  
I don’t recall seeing a place that poured concrete for the stalls. I think it would be worth looking into how people account for drainage of excess urine. I don’t think straw soaks up that much.

I can see where there would be a long-term benefit. IME, a gravel base gets uneven over time.

If you think you’ll ever put in automatic waterers, that would be a planning consideration.

/ Horse stable floor? #3  
My wife rides, and has boarded her horses at many different barns over the years. None of them have had concrete in the stalls. I think this is more for comfort for the horses than anything. They've all used shavings in the stalls instead of straw. I think this is easier to clean and also absorbs a lot of the urine. I think sawmills sell it for cheap. Some of the barns she's been at have had rubber mats between the dirt and shavings, some not.

/ Horse stable floor?
I'll have water and electric and I'll have a waterer between stalls I bought, a fountain type. I thought about a floor drain also...but it's getting expensive!!!!!

/ Horse stable floor? #5  
In my area, 5 years ago concrete was about $100/cubic yard- placed. With the current economy and a different location in the USA I can see $135/cubic yard.

I assume it’s 20-25 yards

/ Horse stable floor?
I think concrete price is reasonable, but I'm waiting for the actual price which includes labor, rebar, finishing, etc.
My calculations it may be an additional $3-4K, but may be worth it long term.
It sure would be easier to clean and horses on mats with wood chips or straw the concrete wouldn't make much difference.
"Sand" they were originally going to use advantage may be easier urine dissipation.

/ Horse stable floor? #7  
I used a product that’s locally called “one eighth by zero”. It’s 1/8” stone down to fine dust. It looks similar to sand, but it packs down quite well over time.

I’m not clear on the cleaning benefit you are expecting with concrete. With the rubber mats, the daily cleaning seems like it would be the same either way.

If you’re talking about regularly cleaning below the mats, then you would be quite the meticulous stable manager.

/ Horse stable floor? #8  
Mats are incredibly heavy and need a tractor to move them, our horses get a dirt floor which over the years has compacyed, topped with shavings or straw depending on what is avalable.
Some shavings are not good for the horse, I don't know which ones but daughters tell me some are toxic.
Ours do not come in that often but of course we don't get that cold.

/ Horse stable floor?
I called local large horse supply place near here. Then I did internet research, trusted sites, forums... of course I'm back to square one!
It looks like it's 50-50. My contractor sells the big stall mats, so yes...heavy...probably the best. One local farm store sells 6x6 ones, so 4 mats...easier to handle.
Some say concrete really hard on the horse, standing in stall...then they say the expensive barns are concrete, it's padding that makes it soft.
Then I think we have so many burrowing things, snakes, etc...the garage these same guys built 30 years ago concrete is great...no animals, insects.
Here are few pictures so far...
It's going to be nice...but climbing price 20190501_154430.jpeg20190501_154338.jpeg20190501_154314.jpeg20190501_154231.jpeg20190501_150910.jpeg

/ Horse stable floor? #10  
So, I just asked the wife/head horse women. Not sure if this will help.

We currently have concrete stalls with center floor drains and rubber mats. She uses shavings and compressed wood pellets for the bedding. Her family has had both concrete floors and non-concrete floors.

I asked her and she had to think about it. Here are her comments:

1. She really likes the concrete floors. Easier to clean and maintain. Also there is no issue with drainage or having the horses "dig"/paw holes in the stall over time.

That being said, if the horses had to be up for extended periods, like several weeks during a hard/cold winter, she would want dirt floors as it would be easier on the hooves and joints.