Horse has pain in shoulder, mine is lower.

/ Horse has pain in shoulder, mine is lower. #1  

dmccarty

Super Star Member
Tractor
JD 4700
Calling all Horse Experts,

We have a horse that has a pain in its right front shoulder. It appears to be a nerve type of pain. A few months ago this showed up, the vet gave the horse acupuncture and the pain went away. Now its back. The horse was ridden Friday and was fine. Saturday the pain showed back up. I'm not sure how hard the horse was ridden since it was ridden by the person trying to sell the horse. I'm sure she put it over some jumps.

Any ideas?

Thanks,
Dan McCarty

/ Horse has pain in shoulder, mine is lower. #2  
Dan,
It's impossible to tell what is wrong with the horse without an exam. It may even be his feet causing him to look like he has pain in his shoulder. Best thing would be to get him to an equine vet, one that specializes in horses. They can do a nerve block and x-rays if needed to find out the real cause and structure that is causing the pain. I wouldn't waste my time with anymore treatments until you know exactly what the problem is. It's like throwing money away as there are lots of things, like acupuncture, drugs, etc. that you can give the horse to mask the pain for awhile but you've got to find out what's causing it to come up with a good plan to fix it.

18-35034-TRACTO~1.GIF

/ Horse has pain in shoulder, mine is lower. #3  
Ditto what cowboydoc said. Our TB/QH mare limped off and on and while the problem appeared to be in the shoulder it was actually in her foot and it was fixed by our farrier putting the proper shoes on her. But it took doing x-rays, nerve block etc. to eliminate certain potential causes.

tractor.gif

/ Horse has pain in shoulder, mine is lower.
CowBoyDoc and Mike,

Thanks for the info. We have another vet checking the horse out on Tuesday. We moved the horse from
one stable to another one for a variety of reasons including cost and not trusting the stable owner. She lost six tenants in the last month or so. I've never trusted the women but the horse is my wifes so I try to stay out of it....

I'll mention the foot idea to her. Seems like the horse was just shoed a few months back so maybe it was not done correctly..... What I know about horses can fit on the head of a pin... /w3tcompact/icons/smile.gif

Well, I do know this four legged critter is costing a fortune. I know that much about horses! /w3tcompact/icons/smile.gif

Thanks,
Dan McCarty

/ Horse has pain in shoulder, mine is lower. #5  
Yes Dan they can cost a fortune that is for sure.

18-35034-TRACTO~1.GIF

/ Horse has pain in shoulder, mine is lower. #6  
<font color=blue>We moved the horse from
one stable to another one for a variety of reasons including cost and not trusting the stable owner. She lost six tenants in the last month or so. I've never trusted the women but the horse is my wifes so I try to stay out of it...

<font color=black>Been there, done that, thats the reason we now have our horse home, and a tractor, and an arena, and pastures and on and on and on...............Whatever happened to neddlepoint as a hobby?? Welcome to horse ownership/w3tcompact/icons/smile.gif /w3tcompact/icons/smile.gif

/ Horse has pain in shoulder, mine is lower. #7  
Ah yes Gerard the joys of horse ownership. Some friends and I went to a rodeo this weekend and were talking about how this has got to be the most expensive sport that there is. It's not just the horses but all the other stuff that goes along like your equipment, your barn, arena, truck, trailer, tack, and the list goes on and on and on. Then you need a bigger barn, more land, bigger truck and trailer and the list goes on and on...LOL it is fun though! Good thing as expensive as it gets.

18-35034-TRACTO~1.GIF

/ Horse has pain in shoulder, mine is lower. #8  
My wife had wanted a horse since she was a little girl. She just could not understand why her dad did not buy her one and keep it in the backyard of their suburban, half acre subdivision lot. /w3tcompact/icons/smile.gif

Once we moved from an apartment in Maryland to 3 acres in PA, she set her sights on a horse, barn, etc. which we were finally able to do about 10 years ago (twelve years after we initially moved). I know some folks board their horses for a variety of reasons, but having them in our own barn is great and I wouldn't have it any other way despite the 'challenges' (financial and other ways) it presents. We have 3 horses right now and just this year we've bought one, sold one and had to put the first horse we bought down. Very difficult since a piece of us went with her. Now that we've added 3 acres to our property, the horses will be even happier, but I'll be poorer!

tractor.gif

/ Horse has pain in shoulder, mine is lower. #9  
Mike,

The whole reason for moving out to the country is to do the things we like to do. /w3tcompact/icons/smile.gif

So, with that in mind, we move to the country to be able to buy some affordable acerage, build a house, buy a tractor, build a barn, put up fencing, buy tons of implements to assist in maintaining the previous, buy lots of tools to maintain the maintainers, and the list goes on..../w3tcompact/icons/crazy.gif Money is a tool!

Would I trade this to move back to the urban/surburban spawl? Not!!!! /w3tcompact/icons/smile.gif

It's the only way to live. /w3tcompact/icons/smile.gif/w3tcompact/icons/smile.gif/w3tcompact/icons/smile.gif

Dang got lost in my thoughts and forgot about the original post. With all that I've previously said, a large part of that is having animals. We have resisted the ownership of large animals, especially horses. The kids hinted at it, but we explained the work envolved and they shied away from it. /w3tcompact/icons/smile.gif I can sympathize with all that the horsemen have to endure. I fret over our dog when he is slightly sick and his general care. If we had horses, I would probably partake in adult beverages to ease some of the pain.

Terry

<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1>Edited by TerryinMD on 11/19/01 03:54 PM (server time).</FONT></P>

/ Horse has pain in shoulder, mine is lower. #10  
Amen! We lived in an apartment half way between Washington, D.C. and Baltimore, MD (Laurel, MD). I loved the job I had, but hated the traffic not to mention the real estate prices. Right before we moved, we priced out a townhouse. For the same price, we got a house on 3 acres in PA. Oh, the house needed work too. It never ends /w3tcompact/icons/shocked.gif but like you, I wouldn't have it any other way.

tractor.gif