Horse barn? Time,etc?!?

/ Horse barn? Time,etc?!? #1  

Fuddy1952

Elite Member
Tractor
1973 Economy and 2018 John Deere 3038E
I bought adjoining land to my place, bought new tractor, equipment, etc. I've been installing fences, gates.
Here's my dilemma...hoping for advice.
Wife wants a horse, we had them when we met as teenagers. Now, 47 years later it's been a dream to have a couple horses.
A reputable local contractor company built garages, etc. for me in the past, so I spoke to them over a year ago. They stay swamped with work. (In their defence I did have to wait for fence completion, and I've had different design ideas, and stupidly said no rush). Then their foreman/manager was indisposed.
However, I signed a contract and paid a 10% deposit OVER 2 MONTHS AGO! I called and it's the weather, no helpers, etc,etc.
Contract was for a 30x40ft equipment and hay storage shed...then stable about 150ft away. BUT...1) I never get a call from them, 2) I've never heard from the excavator who does their preparation.
I did get other estimates months ago, way more expensive.
Point is, we're not getting any younger. It's a quandary. What to do???
I'd like to use them, but now I'm thinking (as wife suggested) to downsize plans...just one building instead of two.

Thanks!

/ Horse barn? Time,etc?!? #2  
Move on - tell them you are going to with a deadline and if they show up good. If not find someone else.
Horses need company, at least a pony. One horse will be too lonely. Also plan to build them a run-in in barn with wide doors- that you can close up into stalls. They like the run - in. My two use it to get away from the bugs and sun but are otherwise outside. The hay is stored overhead on the second floor. *warmer in winter. I have a 30x30 barn. Two floors. I have a run-in, one 15x15 enclosed stall and a 10x15 tackroom/feed room (and stairway). - Take the time to choose your design carefully- you will appreciate it through the years. Here is a back and front view. I built it myself. The horses use the door by the hay elevator that is left open year round. The smaller door behind the elevator is for our convenience into the stall. The stall has a 4' outside door and a 4' interior door. Cross ties, feed bins, hay racks are all available to use. Barn4e 003.jpg

Attachments

• 1169661o.jpg
    1169661o.jpg
    336.4 KB · Views: 116
   / Horse barn? Time,etc?!? #3  
When I bought my place, there was a 100' x 36' horse barn on it. It has 8 stalls in one end and the other end is an open area with the tack room at the far end. Yes, the hay is on the second floor.

As tcreeley stated,some proper planning now will save on changes later.

/ Horse barn? Time,etc?!?
We'll have two, and possibly a burro. The next door neighbor's have three mares already, there's the fence where they can socialize and their barn down over the pasture.
It's just frustrating. The company I've used over the years always did a good job, I paid cash. As time goes by it's starting to lose the charm.20181125_150849.jpeg

/ Horse barn? Time,etc?!? #5  
They know how many projects they have in front of them.
Ask them so you know too and can decide if acceptable.

/ Horse barn? Time,etc?!? #6  
The horses don't really need an indoor stall ("If you keep the horses out of the barn, you'll keep the Vet Dr. out, too."). All they need is protection from the weather. So, a 3 sided run-in with a roof is easily built by you, perhaps.

The hay needs a barn though, to keep it dry, free from mice, nesting squirrels, birds. The hay storage needs to be right there where you feed so you don't have to move it after delivery or loading. Above the horse stalls is often done, but without ventilation, horses give off A LOT of humidity, so you can get bales molding when stored above them.

For temporary hay storage, consider a shipping container or an old semi-trailer . It needs ventilation though because air pressure changes will draw in moisture.

IMHO the hay elevator shown in the photo is way too short (That's why the broken bales under it). Sometimes 1 will tumble back on you and someone may get hit by it. Or one tumbles off and makes a mess. One with a transport carriage is also recommended. I made one myself with some square tubing, some cart wheels and a cable winch. With a trailer hitch on it, I move it into place with my golf cart.

/ Horse barn? Time,etc?!? #7  
They know how many projects they have in front of them.
Ask them so you know too and can decide if acceptable.

+1 you told them you were not in a hurry, they have not missed schedule yet

/ Horse barn? Time,etc?!? #8  
Like others have said, the horse will need a "friend". In my experience, a goat will be an inexpensive "friend" and will eat many weeds in your pasture that the horse won't touch. I also agree with a three sided shed. I have been around cows all my life but was amazed at watching my horse just stand outside in a cold rain or heavy cold snow rather than standing under the cover of his shelter.

/ Horse barn? Time,etc?!? #9  
We'll have two, and possibly a burro. The next door neighbor's have three mares already, there's the fence where they can socialize and their barn down over the pasture.
It's just frustrating. The company I've used over the years always did a good job, I paid cash. As time goes by it's starting to lose the charm.View attachment 583725

Nice!

/ Horse barn? Time,etc?!?
I'm leaning towards the one's pictured. With overhangs on other side I could store some equipment. It could have a sliding door to pull in, unload hay.
I stopped by and talked to them this afternoon, they said late February, early March. The grading if I had it done would speed it up.
We've had rain all the time and that's what's been pushing them behind.View attachment 58382920181221_155352.jpeg