Horse arena, sand run off help

/ Horse arena, sand run off help #11  
So under the sand is washed screenings that was graded to drain with a 1% slope. I believe they did a 50/50. So the middle being the high point. Under that washed screenings is a permeable fabric to prevent any vegetation growth from the fill we had to bring in to build up this section of field (I will look for a picture of the field when hit with a lot of rain). I will also try to get a better picture, but the red circled area isn't lower than the blue area, it only looks that way in the photo.

My other thought was to try putting some pea gravel to fill in the gaps around the surge rocks and hopefully that would work as a filter. I was going to buy a couple of bags and try it out in one spot. The sand loss isn't huge, its the filling the ditches in those spots that is the problem. I need the water to drain out of the ditch.
damn optical illusion... scratch that then ... like the drainage pipe idea is good but over time the material on top get filled with fines and organics and seals it and the pipe get ether squish or gets filled and it need to be redone and its going to cost you a bunch in material and time where if this ditch get filled with sand you can just scoop it out ... This situation can be fix with the proper material and grade ... I don't like these big rock I would've suggests some material that provide compaction so water can flow uniformly on it without washing out ...

Maybe move the rocks towards the ditch a bit and back up the sand and put some pure stone .75 to .15 in between the two hand have the rocks higher then the sand grade hopefully this should hold the sand in ... that should hold your sand in place...

1680705275981.png

/ Horse arena, sand run off help #13  
In general road shoulders are made of 3/4 inch minus and they don't wash away unless there is a tire tracks or a lip (creating a dam) that hold the water in, the water pools up until the area is full and over flow, the area where it begins is the lowest point and where it will start to wash away... the way to fix that is to rake the edge of the shoulder smooth so water flow evenly and doesn't pools up anywhere .... of course if you have a 100 year storm some washout is inevitable. But it is really hard to wash out a area if the water doesn't accumulate in one area and flow evenly across the whole surface. This statement is just to show the importance of replicating this edges of the perimeter

Last edited:
   / Horse arena, sand run off help #14  
   / Horse arena, sand run off help #15  
In my experience all arenas footings need replenishment time to time if not seasonally. The run off you show does not look excessive.
If you must, Id rather see a row of RR ties. Or a fence but nothing would be better. A lot depends upon the type of horses, riding, and rider. Again just one opinion.

/ Horse arena, sand run off help
Thanks for the diagrams RBC, I believe I'll give that a try as it seems to be the simplest at the moment and was one of the things we were discussing this morning. Would it be worth it to put fabric down in the swell before putting the pea gravel or their washed #1 looks closest to what you shown. ( LANDSCAPE GRAVEL | Shelby Crushed Stone )

scootr - The run off really isn't excessive and I the picture shown is after I scraped out the ditch and the one moderate rain we got the last 2 days. My main issue is trying to keep the sand out of the ditch.

Here is the link to the thread showing some pictures of the base above the fabric before putting the sand down.

/ Horse arena, sand run off help #18  
Thanks for the diagrams RBC, I believe I'll give that a try as it seems to be the simplest at the moment and was one of the things we were discussing this morning. Would it be worth it to put fabric down in the swell before putting the pea gravel or their washed #1 looks closest to what you shown. ( LANDSCAPE GRAVEL | Shelby Crushed Stone )

scootr - The run off really isn't excessive and I the picture shown is after I scraped out the ditch and the one moderate rain we got the last 2 days. My main issue is trying to keep the sand out of the ditch.

#1 looks even better ... fabric wouldn't hurt, it would take less material and it may help retain the fins during heavy rain and reduce the chance if washout.

/ Horse arena, sand run off help #19  

Here is the link to the thread showing some pictures of the base above the fabric before putting the sand down.
right I remember this thread ... it looks like what we call cruncher reject very good material.

Well, sounds like I have a plan. The #1 stone will be useful for the driveway too so I'll order a big load to make the trucking costs worth it. Just have to find time to get it done.