Horizontal Studs???!!!!

/ Horizontal Studs???!!!! #1  

TJP89

Veteran Member
Tractor
Kioti CK35 HST TL, Gravely ZTHD
OK, since rain delayed work on my leanto project, I decided to do the easy indoor task of identifying where the studs are in the polebarn wall. I plan to anchor a ledger board to the barn wall, and use it and joist hangers to secure the leanto roof rafters to the barn wall. As my stud detector is useless through metal and the wood paneling that's on the inside, I resorted to drilling holes in the wall. Starting at a window, I drilled and measured, finding 2 studs (so I thought) Then...nothing. I put holes all over a 5ft section of wall with no studs!!! WTH??? Up to the attic I go, wait a sec, no stud tops, just the top board on the wall. Inspiration strikes! I drill at the same HORIZONTAL level as my first stud I found, directly above a hole where there is no hole. Stud found. Huh? Drill some more, its a horizontal stud!!!! :confused3::confused2::confused2::confused:

Soooo....is that even possible? Am I missing something? I've dug all over the internet and found nothing. Figured here would be as good a place to ask as any. Anybody have any ideas on what's going on? I'm back out to investigate some more.

/ Horizontal Studs???!!!! #2  
They aren't studs, they are purlions, and they run horizontal between the poles to screw metal or plywood too.

/ Horizontal Studs???!!!!
Are you guys telling me that I have horizontal wood beams running between metal poles holding up my polebarn? Even though it has an A framed wooden roof? Can somebody post a picture of this, because I really can't picture this holding up the building.

/ Horizontal Studs???!!!! #6  
Here's a couple of pics from when my pole barn was being built.

P9020146.JPG P9080159.JPG

/ Horizontal Studs???!!!! #9  
Yep, purlins or "girts" as they are better called when on a wall. Only there to hold the siding on and keep the walls straight. All roof loads transmit down to the wall headers and then the poles and their footings. No studs required.

/ Horizontal Studs???!!!!
Yes, I do see why they're called polebarns, not small houses. I searched the internet with new better search terms and got some good material. I drilled some more holes (yes, one wall of the barn is filled with holes now) and discovered that the girts are 22 inches apart horizontally. The bad new is I need to put that ledger board right in between where the girts are placed, so I'm working on that now. Thanks for enlightening me and pointing me in the right direction:thumbsup: