Hoping friend will get a big enough tractor

/ Hoping friend will get a big enough tractor #1  

mred2

Platinum Member
Tractor
iseki tl3200, JD 450H dozer, LS XR4150, Genie Z34/22N lift
I have a LS XR4150 and love it. My friend has had a sub compact tractor in the past. He is thinking about buying 12 to 25 acres and building a new house. He has looked at my tractor and likes it. Has looked at my dealer. He is looking at the MT240HE. He feels that it is all that he will ever need. All of the land that he is looking at has hills and a lot of trees. He does not want a cab. He does want a FEL and 2 sets of remotes,with HST.
I am going to try to get him to look at the size up. I am looking for facts to try to get him to at least look at them. Price is very important to him. He is pretty tall. It may be next summer, due to delays in the land. First I will try to get him to at least mow some with mine, but my land has no where near the hills.

/ Hoping friend will get a big enough tractor #2  
LS MT240E

2019 -
MT2 Series
Compact Utility tractor
XG3140 ↑
Series: MT235E ← MT240E
Production
Manufacturer: LS
Type: Compact Utility tractor

Variants
MT240HE: hydrostatic
LS MT240E Power
Engine (gross): 40 hp
29.8 kW
PTO (claimed): 34 hp
25.4 kW
LS MT240E Engine
LS 1.9L 3-cyl diesel
Fuel tank: 7.4 gal
28.0 L

Mechanical
Chassis: 4x4 MFWD 4WD
Steering: power
Brakes: wet disc
Cab: Two-post folding ROPS.
Transmissions: 12-speed synchro shuttle
hydrostatic
Hydraulics
Valves: 0 to 2
Pump flow: 8.2 gpm
31.0 lpm
Total flow: 13.7 gpm
51.9 lpm
Steering flow: 5.5 gpm
20.8 lpm

Tractor hitch
Rear Type: I
Control: position control
Rear lift (at ends): 1808 lbs
820 kg
Power Take-off (PTO)
Rear PTO: independent
Rear RPM: 540 (1.375)
Mid PTO: independent*
Mid RPM: 2000

Dimensions
Wheelbase: 69 inches
175 cm
Length: 121 inches
307 cm
Width: 54 inches
137 cm (R1)
66 inches
167 cm (R4)
Height (ROPS): 88 inches
223 cm
Shuttle Weight: 2881 lbs
1306 kg
Hydro Weight: 2884 lbs
1308 kg

LS LL3302 Loader
Loader weight: 653 lbs
296 kg *
Height (to pin): 94 inches
238 cm
Breakout force (at pin): 3579 lbs
1623 kg
Lift to full height (at pin): 2153 lbs
976 kg
Bucket width: 66 inches
167 cm

Page information
Last update: December 23, 2020
Copyright: Copyright 2020 TractorData LLC

Last edited:
   / Hoping friend will get a big enough tractor #3  
LS - MT240HE has about the same weight and engine power as my Kubota L3560. Adequate for 60" and some 72" wide implements.

Should be ample for residential and woods work of around 100 engine hours per year on 25 acres that will not be in crops.

54" tractor width will be around 60" with R4/industrial tires. Narrow enough to fit between trees, at least between trees in Florida. (Standard Loader bucket is 66" wide. ~ may want 60" bucket in the woods.)

Tractors are inherently unstable operating on sloped ground. Tractor rear wheel/tire spread, sometimes adjustable, is a critical factor increasing compact tractor stability working sloped or uneven ground. Rear axle is the tractor component on which rear wheels/tires mount. A 6" to 10" wider rear axle substantially decreases tractor rollover potential. Tractor width is simulacrum for rear axle width.

When considering a tractor purchase bare tractor weight first, tractor horsepower second, rear axle width third, rear wheel/tire ballast fourth.

Last edited:
   / Hoping friend will get a big enough tractor
I am thinking that he could go to a MT3 series or XR40 series and get a heavier frame. I can't see him needing the HP. But the hills that he wants to run this on, he will need width and weight.
Jeff, one time I really agree with you. He is looking more at HP first.

/ Hoping friend will get a big enough tractor #5  
Do you have an idea of what he wants to do with it?

I went with a bigger frame (XR41XX) for the increased loaded capacity. If he isn't interested in loader capacity, or weight, then a smaller frame may be just fine.

If stability is the issue, you can improve that with wheel spacers (check out Bro-Tek) without going to a larger frame size.

/ Hoping friend will get a big enough tractor #7  
When I saw the title of this thread, I thought maybe somebody was hoping his friend was getting a big tractor so he could borrow it. Why don't you just tell him to get a 100 hp tractor and then you can borrow it. It sounds like he has already made his decision and it's his money.

/ Hoping friend will get a big enough tractor #8  
Maybe the op is just trying to keep his friend from buying to small of a tractor like many often do, asper all of the testimonies on here. I dont believe he mentioned wanting to borrow any thing.

/ Hoping friend will get a big enough tractor #9  
It's no more my business than it is the OP's but my advise would be to get the land bought before worrying about a tractor. It ain't bought until the deed transfers and there's little need for a tractor until there's a place to park it.

/ Hoping friend will get a big enough tractor #10  
My neighbor thought I needed a skid steer instead of the tractor I bought.

Be a good friend, let him do what he wants. I’m so glad I didn’t go with the skid steer.