Hoping for some help from someof our more experienced members.

/ Hoping for some help from someof our more experienced members. #11  
Those default to locking in 4x4 if solenoid or electrical issue (wire, switch, relay)

So first thing I'd do is check electrical wiring, then switch/relay, then solenoid.

/ Hoping for some help from someof our more experienced members. #12  
. . . I will try to buy a manual, but will also try to back up and hit the brakes to see if it will un-bind. If that doesn’t do it, do you think it would be wise to try to find the relay that activates the solenoid and replace it and or the solenoid?
My (manual) 2-4WD selector will bind on occasion, but the slightest powered movement of the tractor will free it. That is the cheapest, easiest fix, and I had thought you had tried that. Troubleshooting the relay and solenoid should come before replacing them. You may have an open circuit to a good relay or a good relay but bad solenoid, or another combination of faults that testing will reveal.

The cost of self-taught lessons on tractor repair can be high. A dealer mechanic should be knowledgable but also come at a cost. You may find (friend's recommendation) a competent, local, general mechanic at less cost. The last will likely be appreciative if you have the operator's manual, the workshop manual, and the parts manuals at hand.

Last edited:
   / Hoping for some help from someof our more experienced members.
Thank you. I’ll be checking all three later this morning. Hopefully before my dealer closes at noon.

/ Hoping for some help from someof our more experienced members. #14  
I agree with Captain Dirty, CHECK before you replace.
I have a JD 2030 with the 245 loader. I wish it were the JD 50 or 55 series with MFWD and a Reverser!

/ Hoping for some help from someof our more experienced members. #15  
Thank you all so much! I will try to buy a manual, but will also try to back up and hit the brakes to see if it will un-bind. If that doesn’t do it, do you think it would be wise to try to find the relay that activates the solenoid and replace it and or the solenoid?
You need to be sure solenoid is receiving 12 volts when MFWD switch is in off position.

You need to be sure solenoid is receiving 12 volts when MFWD switch is in off position.
12volts when the switch is in the off position?

/ Hoping for some help from someof our more experienced members. #17  
Devodad....I sent a PM

Hmm, didn’t get one🤔

/ Hoping for some help from someof our more experienced members. #19  
Those default to locking in 4x4 if solenoid or electrical issue (wire, switch, relay)

So first thing I'd do is check electrical wiring, then switch/relay, then solenoid.

^^^^^This^^^^^

Ok thank you!