3-Point Hitch Hooking up a Rotary Mower to a JD Quick Hitch

/ Hooking up a Rotary Mower to a JD Quick Hitch #21  
I know that a chain for the top link would work too but I'm not sure that it would be the safest way to gain the desired tilt angle.

Using a chain for the top link wouldn't be any less safe then running them aft on the deck. All it would do limit the cutter's travel by a few inches...instead of rotating up 90 degrees, it might only go 88 degrees (rough estimates).

/ Hooking up a Rotary Mower to a JD Quick Hitch #22  
Remove stop pin (pin#4) to allow pin 5 to rotate down instead of up and the A-frame should lay back farther than you'd ever need. Extend your top link out to get desired down travel at the rear wheel. Have to use a hitch pin to replace pin#4 so the A-frame doesn't lay down while trying to hook it to the tractor. Will need to shorten top link to achieve enough lift for travel.
Not sure if this would get into shaft when hooked up, just saw a 6'er on dealer lot with pin 4 removed and A-frame layed way back.

/ Hooking up a Rotary Mower to a JD Quick Hitch #23  
Remove stop pin (pin#4) to allow pin 5 to rotate down instead of up and the A-frame should lay back farther than you'd ever need. Extend your top link out to get desired down travel at the rear wheel. Have to use a hitch pin to replace pin#4 so the A-frame doesn't lay down while trying to hook it to the tractor. Will need to shorten top link to achieve enough lift for travel.
Not sure if this would get into shaft when hooked up, just saw a 6'er on dealer lot with pin 4 removed and A-frame layed way back.

Yeah, I can see that working...

All in all, I see a lot more advantage to a QH with a non-powered implement then rotary cutters or RFMs or anything thing else that follows the topography.

/ Hooking up a Rotary Mower to a JD Quick Hitch #24  
With my Dad's 3720 when i hook up to his MX6 I have to get off the tractor and hold the A frame forward on the mower and operate the lift lever at the same time while off the tractor. It isn't my favorite way to do it but proper safety precautions are implemented to this procedure. It appears that your rotary cutter is similar to the MX but it looks like it can hold the A frame forward a bit more. To gain the tilt ability so you can back up to those steep inclined banks then chains are the way to go since the tilt is limited on your rotary cutter as it sits.

Thats what I was referring to when I suggested compression springs to counteract the chains. All you need is enough spring to hold the frame up straight to allow easy hitching.

/ Hooking up a Rotary Mower to a JD Quick Hitch #25  
Thats what I was referring to when I suggested compression springs to counteract the chains. All you need is enough spring to hold the frame up straight to allow easy hitching.

Yeah...but do you think this should have to be done by the owner...or do the manufacturers assume we all have nice smooth, level areas to mow?

The picture the Beenthere posted (his cutter going up the embankment) isn't an uncommon task. As I'd written in an earlier post, I have something similar (maybe not quite as steep, but close).

/ Hooking up a Rotary Mower to a JD Quick Hitch #26  
Roy,
As i am sure you remember, years ago we simply hooked up with two points and left the top link disconnected to perform such tasks.

For my uses since I have switched to IMatch with a hydraulic top link and float position it have accomplished all of my tilting needs. Combine this with the flexing action on the MX6 and i get satisfactory results.

/ Hooking up a Rotary Mower to a JD Quick Hitch #27  
Roy,
As i am sure you remember, years ago we simply hooked up with two points and left the top link disconnected to perform such tasks.

For my uses since I have switched to IMatch with a hydraulic top link and float position it have accomplished all of my tilting needs. Combine this with the flexing action on the MX6 and i get satisfactory results.

I normally use the top link but there were places I disconnected...not often though

/ Hooking up a Rotary Mower to a JD Quick Hitch #28  
I got a few pics of this set up... Almost no drop, but looks as if it would have enough lift to get the shaft into the top of the quick coupler.

Attachments

• image-1542213896.png
    image-1542213896.png
    892 KB · Views: 397
  • image-2847199965.png
    image-2847199965.png
    984.1 KB · Views: 391
  • image-788157895.png
    image-788157895.png
    914.2 KB · Views: 401
   / Hooking up a Rotary Mower to a JD Quick Hitch #29  
MaJYk
Those pics show the function of the "joint" very well. Shows where it pivots, and how it will hold the frame upright for connection to the iMatch. Then how the pivot slides in the slots to allow the front pin to ramp up and fold the joint upwards. Thanks for the pics.

I like the big boom hoist holding up the cutter with the big hook in the middle pic. :D

/ Hooking up a Rotary Mower to a JD Quick Hitch #30  
Actually, I just set the tail wheel up on a drop deck semi trailer, the cherry picker is about 50' away. Funny how the pic turned out that way.