Honey bees

/ Honey bees #81  
I’m only in year 4 and this will be my first spring to live on the land (house got delayed by COVID). As such I’ve been much more of a “keep ‘em alive for valuation” than a beekeeper.

Now that we are here full time I hope to put out my old nuc boxes with swarm attractant and try to catch a couple; I haven’t had the opportunity to do so before. I also want to do my first split. Two of my hives went into the fall very strong and are likely candidates.

I don’t know that I can get $25/pint across the board. That what local sells for in feed stores and nursery’s but that’s small quantities. Farmers markets range from $8-20/pint. I’d probably have to sell to the retailers at $10-12. Still if I can repeat last years 6 gallons in a drought I can sell 3 gallons and at least pay for one of my nucs!
We currently sell for $12/lb and cannot keep it on the shelf. That’s $18/pint… we also live in a very economically depressed region

/ Honey bees #82  
I had 24 swarms in traps last year. Non of them were from my own hives.
Nuc's are ok for late summer swarms. If you have extra full size boxes use them for your swarm traps. The big swarms won't go in the nuc's. I have had early swarms that filled 2, 10 frame deeps. I never did farmers markets. I don't have time to go sit and talk to people like that. I have been selling honey for about 10 years now and people call me when they need it. 6 qt's this morning.

/ Honey bees #83  
I had 24 swarms in traps last year. Non of them were from my own hives.
Nuc's are ok for late summer swarms. If you have extra full size boxes use them for your swarm traps. The big swarms won't go in the nuc's. I have had early swarms that filled 2, 10 frame deeps. I never did farmers markets. I don't have time to go sit and talk to people like that. I have been selling honey for about 10 years now and people call me when they need it. 6 qt's this morning.
We also don’t actively sell… it’s word of mouth, and it goes fast

/ Honey bees #84  
I'm hoping to get enough honey this summer to test the market here. I expect that it will sell easily.

/ Honey bees #86  
Just curious. At what point do you have to get the FDA, FTC and such involved in your business. Not an invite to devolve into politics, just a legit question. We would like to sell (on a small scale) small jars of products from our land (probably 3-5 years from now). We considered a web sales model with shipping (I'm not looking to make a bunch of money OR talk to people). It will likely be 3-5 months before we can move onto our land permanently.

/ Honey bees #87  
Each state is different. Here in Mo. we have to stay under $50,000 before they get involved.
We don't need to have our hives or honey house inspected till we reach that number in over all sales.
Check your state bee keepers web sight, it should have a link to that information.

I came in from the shop after cutting 200 more med. frame ends for around 800. Then assembled 100 frames after lunch.
300 more tomorrow then foundation. (My back is hurting)

/ Honey bees #89  
Just curious. At what point do you have to get the FDA, FTC and such involved in your business. Not an invite to devolve into politics, just a legit question. We would like to sell (on a small scale) small jars of products from our land (probably 3-5 years from now). We considered a web sales model with shipping (I'm not looking to make a bunch of money OR talk to people). It will likely be 3-5 months before we can move onto our land permanently.
In Arkansas you can produce up to 500 gallons of honey before inspections are required. That would be close to 120 hives at an average of 50lbs of harvested honey per colony. If you were to ship across state lines I think you have to abide by the recipient state laws also.

/ Honey bees #90  
Interesting thread, I don't keep bee's and have no desire too.At my brothers on the farm an outfit keeps 15-20 hives year round.
They are one of the larger Bee Keeper outfits around here they sell a lot of bee;s and all the hives and equipment for them.

Myself I get all of our honey from a local bee keeper that has quite a few hives. His honey room as I recall has 4 300 gallon tanks that he keeps honey in and he has quite an extraction and cleanup unit, I've watched the process a few times when I was picking up honey. We go through quite a bit, my wife likes it in her morning coffee and we use a lot in baking and such.

I usually get 4 or 5 five pound jugs at a time, last year I think it was around $21 per jug. I just called Saturday about picking some up and he called back this morning to let me know it'd be ready to pick up this afternoon. The price has gone up considerably now it's $31 a jug unless I get a case of 6 in which case it drops to $25 each, so 6 jugs it is today. I'm transferring the last of our last 5 pounder into her small squeeze bottle this morning.