Honda EU3000 generator

/ Honda EU3000 generator #1  

oldnslo

Tractor
Branson 2400H, JD X540
Neighbor brought over this Honda generator since it would not start. Checked compression and is 60 PSI. Squirted a little oil in spark plug hole and compression increased to 90 - 95 PSI which I think points towards bad rings or scored cylinder. Question is can oil also help seal a valve seat on an over head valve engine?

Accessing the valve cover looks to be a real challenge to even check valve clearance.

TIA

/ Honda EU3000 generator #2  
Oil isn't going to help seal the valve seat. It is a difficult engine to access with the shroud they put on it, but definitely would look at the valve clearance as the oil alert will not let the engine run without oil.

/ Honda EU3000 generator #4  
On another site, i saw that the service manual on that gen shows a 52” pressure on starting per manual. Fir what its wirth

Wow, I haven't pulled the manual, but that seems very low. OPs compression is reasonable either way.
One problem I have had is the choke cable pops off of the carburetor. It won't fire. Reaching in the access door and engaging on the carburetor will get it started.

/ Honda EU3000 generator
Thanks grsthegreat: 52 PSI seems real low to start an engine but maybe some form of compression release that kicks out and higher RPM.

Thanks Tractor tech: will keep digging into potential fuel supply issue and valve cover access. Has good spark and fired a few strokes on carb cleaner sprayed in the intake. Even getting to carb looks like a contortionist nightmare.

/ Honda EU3000 generator #6  
Im not too familiar with working on honda generators, but i found this video which was well done. Its almost more work than id want to put into something though.
im getting too lazy. Spent years rebuilding engines with my brother.

/ Honda EU3000 generator #7  
One thing to consider to is if this has sat awhile and depending on storage prep could have valves that are on the sticky side. These small OHVs have light valve springs and should there be deposits on the stems, they can kind of pop and not start or even have one that won't quite seat.

/ Honda EU3000 generator
I decided to check carb bowl and it was plumb full of water gas mix. Bottom of bowl was full of sludge so pulled sample from gas tank and with quart jar was about 1/4 water 3/4 gas so chasing this problem.

Appreciate all the support and these generators are a real pain to work on.

Another example of no good deed shall go unpunished 😁

/ Honda EU3000 generator #9  
Yeiks…. Wonder why it wont start. :p

/ Honda EU3000 generator #10  
Don't run well on water. Problem with stale ethanol. Fuel lines are probably gummy too. Time for Tygon fuel lines. They don't degrade.

Take the carb apart and soak it in Berryman's B12 Chem tool. Tell the owner to add Marine Stabil (blue) to the fuel. Makes it last longer. I have a similar Champion but it has a fuel shutoff and I use it.