Homemade scandi buckets

/ Homemade scandi buckets #1  

Fixastuff

Veteran Member
Tractor
Massey
Just wanted to show off the assorted buckets I have for the mini+excavator. The 24" and 18" scandi buckets I designed and made myself. If you've never used a scandi they are amazing. Cut in good and you barely have to curl at all to move materials, can scoop up and move the plate compactor/blocks/pavers etc. They work great with wet stick clay as well. The 36" and 12"ers are made by TAG manufacturing. I made the flat plate that attaches to the center tooth of 12" for smooth bottom trenching(french drains/etc) and use the tiger teeth for trees and hard ground. All attach to the TAG adjustahook quick coupler with one pin. Oh yeah I also made the blade bucket and I don't know how I'd do without it. Drive under lift blade and it picks up. Grab the piece of old tow truck cable with bucket to dump it or just scoop out of it as needed. You can fill it with #57 straddle a french drain trench and scoop/fill as you go👍
PXL_20210715_131445505.jpg
PXL_20210715_131451746.jpg
PXL_20210715_131502925.jpg
PXL_20210715_131506790.jpg
PXL_20210715_131516954.jpg
PXL_20210715_132212068.jpg
PXL_20210715_132221024.jpg

/ Homemade scandi buckets #2  
Nice selection of buckets! Do you find the forked tooth teeth do better in rocky soil with breaking up layered ledge rock?

/ Homemade scandi buckets
Nice selection of buckets! Do you find the forked tooth teeth do better in rocky soil with breaking up layered ledge rock?
I don't have any rocks where I live. I use them for tree roots. Sometimes I take out trees with fat 8" diameter or more roots running horizontal and I can spear them with the teeth then curl to break em off in chunks/flakes.
16265268476551564510321520328523.jpg

/ Homemade scandi buckets #4  
Scandi buckets, you mean banana buckets ?
Its standard equipment for trenching here in Holland, they dump sticky soil easier.

For demolition we use skeleton buckets without sides: it takes a while but in the end of the video you can see why:

/ Homemade scandi buckets
Scandi buckets, you mean banana buckets ?
Its standard equipment for trenching here in Holland, they dump sticky soil easier.

For demolition we use skeleton buckets without sides: it takes a while but in the end of the video you can see why:

Nice! That was a big chunk you pulled out!

I first came across them on a Volvo with an Engcon tilt+rotate setup. They called the bucket it on it a Scandinavian bucket. The bucket impressed me more than the tilt/rotator. No one made them in the USA for my machine so I made my own. Next I'm going to make a 4" deep trenching bucket, some people call it a fang.

/ Homemade scandi buckets #6  
Yes, scandinavian buckets are somewhat a mix, usually tapered from front to back. Here in Holland, trenching banana buckets are straight. These have only an inch or two, three high sides. This makes them dump easier, and the sides of the trench hold most of the dirt in the bucket if you hit loose sand.

The scandinavian bucket isnt popular here, unless used with a tiltrotator. Because we have soft soil we use a wide ditching bucket for grading and a skeleton bucket without sides, for ripping piers, slabs and trees. Regular buckets with sides are only used on the bigger machines in mass excavation, or on mini excavators that lack penetrating power to dig with a grading bucket.

The skeleton bucket seems to be a typically Dutch weapon of choice. We dont have thumbs here: if we need to grab something, we'll use a demolition grab with built in rotator

Mini digging stumps with a skeleton bucket:

Wheeled pulling a hedge with a sorting grab

Same wheeled Atlas with a ditching/grading bucket loading sand