Homemade Pepper Viinegar - Any Recepies or Experiance?

/ Homemade Pepper Viinegar - Any Recepies or Experiance? #1  

Beltzington

Platinum Member
Tractor
JD 3720
I have several nice small bottles I was planning to use to make a colorful pepper vinegar table dispensers as a small thank you gift for party hosts, etc. First problem I ran into is I cannot find the super small peppers traditional used. So I have a few questions:

- Is it worth the trouble? You can buy a bottle of Trappy's for $3 so is homemade superior?
- Any reason not to cut larger peppers into slices to fit in the bottle?
- Any tips would be appreciated

Attachments

• Capture.JPG
    Capture.JPG
    14.1 KB · Views: 218
   / Homemade Pepper Viinegar - Any Recepies or Experiance? #2  
Never heard of it before, is it typically a way of pickling the peppers or do you use the liquid as sort of a hot sauce for salads or sub sandwiches (or both)? Sounds interesting.

Would cut peppers maybe be a bit too strong (at least for those who don't like food too spicy)?

/ Homemade Pepper Viinegar - Any Recepies or Experiance?
I had not heard of it either until I moved to the SE, the peppers add heat and flavor to the vinegar which you use on anything you would typically sprinkle vinegar on. Such as; Collard greens (old school southern side dish), spinach, I like it on cooked cabbage, steamed broccoli and cauliflower.

/ Homemade Pepper Viinegar - Any Recepies or Experiance? #4  
There are lots of recipes on the internet; Sharn Jean used to make it all the time when we had a big garden. Good luck with getting the small peppers; you'll probably have to raise them, although I have seen Serrano peppers in the store from time to time.

/ Homemade Pepper Viinegar - Any Recepies or Experiance? #5  
What kind of vinegar do you put in this...just plain ol' store vinegar or one of the specialty ones?

Every year my sister gives us a whole bunch of small hot peppers she grows. My wife doesn't like "hot" food, so I can only sneak one or two in if I make chili or salsa. This seems like a good use for them.

/ Homemade Pepper Viinegar - Any Recepies or Experiance?
What kind of vinegar do you put in this...just plain ol' store vinegar or one of the specialty ones?

As 2LaneCruzer said there are many recipes on the web, just google "pepper vinegar." I'm still looking for the peppers so I haven't made a batch yet, many of the recipes just use white vinegar.

/ Homemade Pepper Viinegar - Any Recepies or Experiance? #7  
Good old live apple cider vinegar is our go to. I like the vinegars, the wife ferments this type of thing. The little bottle you show is nice now, but I don't think the peppers will ever leave the bottle. That is a shame because they can liven up a stir fry nicely. A great idea, but little decorative jelly jars would be more functional. I think the peppers would get yucky above the vinegar? Put some nice olive oil in the bottles you have and pair them up.