Homemade 3ph pressure washers

/ Homemade 3ph pressure washers #1  

PaulT

Gold Member
Tractor
Kubota 2710
Hi all,

I'm new to this forum. Been lurking for about 2 weeks now. I just put 25% down on my first real tractor - a new Kubota 2710, complete with all the trimmings. Well, not really. Already I want to add a top & tilt kit of the homemade variety, a pressure washer to keep her clean, and of course, LarryTs tool box.

The point of this post is regarding the pressure washer. Are there any threads on building a pressure washer with CAT pump, a PTO drive unit, and a generic 3ph frame? I cannot find the right parts from the mail order houses (harbor freight, northern, etc.) From what I've read, the pumps all run around 2200-3000 rpm. Is there a PTO overdrive unit that anyone is aware of? Is there a coupler for it like there is for motor shafts to high pressure pumps? If the overdrive unit "looked" like a motor with the four bolt pattern and the keyed shaft, couldn't I just bolt the pressure pump to that and rig it all to one of those $79.99 3ph frame units from central tractor? Any thoughts????

PaulT

/ Homemade 3ph pressure washers #2  
PT, better look at your pumps again, with mine the tractor turns 2430 RPM and the pump is turning at 540 PTO RPM to do its' work.....

/ Homemade 3ph pressure washers
Jag,

Are you saying that you have a pressure washer pump (CAT, AR, Flowjet, etc.) hooked up to your rear PTO turning at 540RPM and putting out water between 2.5 and 4 GPM at 2000 - 3500 psi? If so, then that is exactly what I am looking for. If not, then I guess I need to find a PTO drive unit that can be adapted to one of these pumps. I did some checking, and the lowest RPM CAT pump I found was 1040 RPM, but that was a 5GPM (too much water) 1000psi (too little pressure???).

I was looking at the gearbox on a brush hog at an adaptable drive unit, since they come in various ratios that would meet the pump specs. It would still be better to get a pump that could match the PTO directly.

PaulT

PaulT

/ Homemade 3ph pressure washers #4  
Go to a farm supply store and inquire about HYPRO pumps. They make dif models that are designed to run off PTO. They are postive placement and have six to eight nylon rollers. There is one model that runs about $100.00

6-27459-jimsford.gif
jim

/ Homemade 3ph pressure washers #5  
Jim, I thought about suggesting the Hypro pump (I have one), but if he wants 2000 to 3000 psi, the Hypros won't do. I believe the most they run is 300 psi. According to my manual, they make 4, 5, 6, 7, and 8 roller models, for max rpm of 800, 1000, 1200, 1800, and 2600. Most are made for counter-clockwise rotation to use on tractor PTOs, but I have one of the models that turns the other direction and is powered by a 3hp Briggs & Stratton.

Bird

/ Homemade 3ph pressure washers #6  
Jim, Bird,

Have you ever heard of any problems (long term) running a Hypro pumps?

I occasionally use one for spraying my corn (if and when it grows) on my Case. Always wondered if the constant weight and/or lack of support would damage tractor PTO bearings or pump bearings. (mine 'hangs' on the PTO shaft and has a torque arm that gets chained to the tractor frame)

I currently have a Log Splitter that runs off of my Case DC Hydraulic system, but it's really overkill running a 37 HP tractor engine for log splitting (even when I hit an un-splitable log, the engine dosen't even see a load. I have a Cessna Hydraulic pump I'd like to rig (like the hypro unit) and run it on my B7300 PTO. The Cessna pump is rated at 22 GPM at 2000 PSI at 1250 RPM so I could use the 1000 RPM PTO speed and still out perform the Case 15 GPM/1050 PSI system. It weighs just slightly more than the Hypro pump.

whadoya think?

/ Homemade 3ph pressure washers #7  
Skent, I've never heard of any problems running a Hypro pump on the PTO, but maybe that's because I don't know anyone who has one./w3tcompact/icons/wink.gif Mine is on a "pressure washer/sprayer" with a 25 gallon tank and 3hp Briggs. My one complaint is that after it sits awhile not being used the pump seizes up so you cannot pull the starter rope until you loosen the 4 housing bolts a bit, and break it loose, then you can tighten the bolts back down and everything is OK until you leave it without turning it again for a couple of weeks. Of course, I have the cheaper model (cast iron) and they make them of several different materials for different purposes.

And now after all that, my only answer to your questions is, "I don't know."/w3tcompact/icons/laugh.gif

Bird

/ Homemade 3ph pressure washers #8  
My pump did that once. Since then I fill the pump with automotive Antifreeze and turn it over till filled. Then I plug input and output. When I need to use the pump again, I removed the plugs, drain the Antifreeze, fulsh it out and off it goes, every time. Been doing that now for 8 seasons and haven't had a problem.

Steve

/ Homemade 3ph pressure washers #9  
Steve, I think you have exactly the right idea, but the way mine is plumbed with galvanized pipe and mounted on a cart, I'd probably have to use a whole gallon of anti-freeze to get it into the pump./w3tcompact/icons/frown.gif Might be worth it, though.

Bird

/ Homemade 3ph pressure washers #10  
I have never seen or heard of pto damage from Hypro pumps "hanging on the pto.I worked for a chemical company that did custom spraying and fertilizer applications in the San Jouquin valley of California, From Chowchilla down to Delano. The tractors were 560 and 806 Internationls with 2 120 gallon side mounted tanks. Never had any problems

6-27459-jimsford.gif
jim