Home remedies

/ Home remedies #1  

Jstpssng

Epic Contributor
Tractor
Kubota L3301
I don't keep much around for medications... when I do buy something it usually gets old and I throw it out long before I use it up. So tonight when I had a bad case of heartburn I searched for home remedies and one suggestion was cider vinegar... a staple item here. It seemed counterintuitive but I was ready to try anything so I poured a healthy dose into a dixie cup and took a big slug- WHOA, talk about sucking the air from your lungs!
Amazingly enough by the time that I stopped gagging and hacking the heartburn had gone away.

So what home remedies have others found for various ailments, which work as well or better than what you get at your drugstore or over the counter? I seem to recall reading about how to get rid of warts; something about bringing a black cat into a cemetery at midnight... (From Mark Twain's "Tom Sawyer.")

/ Home remedies #2  
One that I found on the internet that works is a a hairdryer for poison ivy or poison oak rash itch. You take a hairdryer on its hottest setting and hold it a couple of inches from the rash for a couple of minutes. It will bring tears to your eyes but a few minutes later the itch is gone for about 4 hours. Works like a charm for me. Better than of any the stuff you get at the drugstore.

/ Home remedies #3  
For stuffy sinus or sinus headache breath hot water vapor (steam but not). I'll put the tea kettle (or pan) on the stove's front burner and set a book on the back burner leaning over the kettle to read. Ten minutes is usually adequate for a "dose". For fungus on or behind your toenails, dry between your toes after you bathe or shower. No more fungus. These are really old remedies that work well for me.

/ Home remedies #4  
For heartburn I use about a teaspoon and a half of Bicarb of soda in a glass of water, however I mainly use QuickEze. More convenient.

Quickeze.png

/ Home remedies #6  
Had a Uncle that got a terrible case of poison ivy. He scratched it with a wire brush and pored Lysol from the brown bottle on it. Had to go to the hospital for the chemical burns but he said it beat the inching !

/ Home remedies #7  
Cramps

A pack of mustard from Mc donald's will stop the cramps, takes about 1 minute. I've read that any strong strong shock to the taste buds, like vinegar, will also work.

/ Home remedies #8  
I cramp up bad, started to drink Tonic water with quinine. Works for me (even if it's a mind game - Please don't tell me otherwise!!!)

Had a bad case of Gout - second time it tried to come back, half a lime, half a lemon and 3 tablespoons of apple cider vinegar diluted in a cup of water... not sure which one did the trick but 4 hours later it was pretty much gone. Usually last a week or more...

Growing up my dad drank Switchel every night... my wife started drinking them. I think if you have it everyday... it doesn't work when you need it to...

/ Home remedies #9  
Ex-Lax! It won't cure your cold but you will be afraid to cough!

/ Home remedies #10  
Seriously, my Fathers cure-all for grumpy, sullen, moody, out-of-sorts children was to foist a Laxative down our throats. Phillips Milk of Magnesia, Sal Hepatica or Epson Salt. None of the better tasting ones like Feen a Mint gum or Ex-Lax. If the laxative didn't improve our outlook, it was Enema Time! Happy, Happy, Joy, Joy!