Home Built Cab For Kubota

/ Home Built Cab For Kubota
very well done, looks professional and like original equipment.

What did you use to mount the framework to the tractor?
Thanks.

The framework is bolted to the ROPS and the tops of the rear fenders in back and to the homemade roll cage in the front. The cage is also bolted to the top of the loader frame. Using steel angle for the framework and bolting all of that together also adds its own level of rigidity.

/ Home Built Cab For Kubota #12  
Very nice. Looks factory from the outside. I did something like this with a skid loader once.

/ Home Built Cab For Kubota #13  
Thanks for the additional info and pics. You did a super job !!

gg

/ Home Built Cab For Kubota #14  
I finally decided to add a cab on my 1996 L2900 [AFFILIATE=1, nofollow=true, newwindow=true, title="Kubota"]Kubota[/AFFILIATE] tractor. Getting tired of dealing with nasty winter weather when plowing my 1/4 mile long lane. I did look at pre-fab'd canopies and soft cab enclosures that drape over a canopy but decided to build my own. Not only were those pre-fab'd parts expensive but they also would not fit over the rollcage I added several years ago.

Instead I bought three 4x8 sheets of clear .118" thick shatterproof polycarbonate, several 1-1/2" x 1-1/2" x 6 ft long perforated steel angles and a crap load of 1/4-20 nuts, washers and bolts.

I decided because the plastic sheets are clear that it might make more sense to paint the inside surface rather than the outside. This is a work vehicle and I have been known to drive under low hanging tree limbs while brush hogging around the edges of fields and I didn't want those tree limbs to scrape all that pretty orange paint off. BTW, the paint is there mostly to provide shade in the summertime which also explains why I extended it down so far on the side and rear panels.

I'll probably add a 12V heater and I have an LED light bar that I added above the windshield.

I was a little concerned about putting a bend in the middle of the windshield but it is surprisingly distortion free. The front section of the rollcage was made from discarded 2" tubing that was originally part of a cage I bought for my '75 Bronco. It already had bends where it fit behind the Bronco windshield and I decided to make the cab for the tractor fit the same contour. The tractor came from the factory with the rear hoop (ROPS bar), I just added to it.

The doors hinge at the rear. I used stainless steel piano hinges and latches/handles made for shed doors. The latches also have keyed locks.

I also included an extension of the roof panel over the windshield to try and keep at least some of the crap from the weather off and also to provide a little extra shade. The frame for that also serves as a mounting surface for the light bar. I don't plan on taking it to Bonneville so I'm perry sure the aerodynamics will be fine. 😯
Awesome job. How do you mount the roll cage to the tractor?

/ Home Built Cab For Kubota
Awesome job. How do you mount the roll cage to the tractor?
Thanks!

At the front of the cage there is a plate on the top of the factory loader frame on each side with a hole in the center. Those plates are what the original cross brace for the loader frame was bolted to. I welded a 1/4" thick plate, that aligns with the those existing loader frame plates, on the bottoms of the front pipes of the cage. I drilled and taped those new plates for 1/2-13 threads and ran the same size grade 8 bolts up from the bottom and into the new plates on the bottom of the cage. The cage already had a cross bar at the bottom front so eliminating the original loader cross bar was not an issue. I should also add that the cage was originally designed to bolt to the floor of a Bronco's cab which meant that I had to cut several inches off the bottom of the pipes at the front of the cage. I also had to remove 18" from the width of the cage.

At the rear, I welded vertical plates to the ends of the cage where they meet the top bar of the ROPS and then drilled holes in the new plates for U-bolts that wrap around the ROPS bar and through those holes.

The reason I added the cage in the first place, besides the obvious extra safety aspect, was because I also have a 7 foot reach backhoe attachment that uses the 3-point hitch as well as the fact that these tractors do not have an actual frame under the back half. Several folks, including the local Kubota dealer, told me that the extra forces imparted by the backhoe could crack the transmission bellhousing. I also reinforced the sub-frame plates between the loader frame and rear axle with angle iron. Adding all that, along with the fact that the ROPS bar is factory attached to the rear axle, creates a boxed effect around the rear half of the tractor and will hopefully prevent any damage to the drivetrain. So far, so good.

/ Home Built Cab For Kubota #16  
Thanks!

At the front of the cage there is a plate on the top of the factory loader frame on each side with a hole in the center. Those plates are what the original cross brace for the loader frame was bolted to. I welded a 1/4" thick plate, that aligns with the those existing loader frame plates, on the bottoms of the front pipes of the cage. I drilled and taped those new plates for 1/2-13 threads and ran the same size grade 8 bolts up from the bottom and into the new plates on the bottom of the cage. The cage already had a cross bar at the bottom front so eliminating the original loader cross bar was not an issue. I should also add that the cage was originally designed to bolt to the floor of a Bronco's cab which meant that I had to cut several inches off the bottom of the pipes at the front of the cage. I also had to remove 18" from the width of the cage.

At the rear, I welded vertical plates to the ends of the cage where they meet the top bar of the ROPS and then drilled holes in the new plates for U-bolts that wrap around the ROPS bar and through those holes.

The reason I added the cage in the first place, besides the obvious extra safety aspect, was because I also have a 7 foot reach backhoe attachment that uses the 3-point hitch as well as the fact that these tractors do not have an actual frame under the back half. Several folks, including the local Kubota dealer, told me that the extra forces imparted by the backhoe could crack the transmission bellhousing. I also reinforced the sub-frame plates between the loader frame and rear axle with angle iron. Adding all that, along with the fact that the ROPS bar is factory attached to the rear axle, creates a boxed effect around the rear half of the tractor and will hopefully prevent any damage to the drivetrain. So far, so good.
Thanks for such detailed description. Do you mind sharing pictures of the cage mount interface and the bolt plate if it’s still accessible with the cab?

/ Home Built Cab For Kubota #17  
Nice! You'll love it this Winter.