Hole in the Wall Buffet's and Restaurants

/ Hole in the Wall Buffet's and Restaurants #21  
Back on topic... My wife and I have found that diners off the beaten path usually have the best meals at the best prices. We don't do 'fast food' places as a rule but prefer seeking out 'mom and pop' places to eat while on a trip anywhere.
Me, too. The modern age does make it a bit less risky (yelp and such). Many mom and pop places are excellent, but bad ones while traveling can be downright miserable. If we do eat at a chain while traveling, it needs to be one that does not have a presence near home.

/ Hole in the Wall Buffet's and Restaurants #22  
When I looked at the thread's title for the umpteenth time it finally occurred to me that there had to be s real "Hole in the Wall" restaurant somewhere.
Here's one.

This one is in Arizona. The Hole in the Wall where Butch Cassidy's Wild Bunch hid out is in Johnson County Wyoming.

Last edited:
   / Hole in the Wall Buffet's and Restaurants #23  
Our local "Alt" paper had a rave review of a "Philly" style sub shop. So I had to try it. The reviewer, obviously had never been East of the Mississippi. :) I seriously wanted to ask the shop owner if they any clue what they were doing as this was just dog food with uncooked onions in a sub roll.

If you are ever driving on the Easter Shore of Maryland, and you see any ol' BBQ shack. Stop and have a bite. Its an unhealthy, yet transcendental experience.

/ Hole in the Wall Buffet's and Restaurants #24  
not a hole in the wall but a meat market that decided to open a restaurant next door. Awesome food esp off the steam table and hamburgers the size of your plate if you want one that big.
Roberts Meat market in Orange Texas
One of the "negatives" about Texas is how large it is sometimes. Most states you hear or see someone recommend a place you want to try and it's 1, 2, maybe 3 hours away, Texas, It can be 10! Waze shows Roberts to be 5 hours away 😞

/ Hole in the Wall Buffet's and Restaurants #25  
Won't eat buffets.

But, I love a great hole-in-the-wall restaurant. One of the more memorable ones was a BBQ joint in Austin, Tx. I'd have just walked by the place it looked so bad from outside. Some friends I was with said it was a must experience. Boy was I glad I followed their lead. Wish I could remember the name of it!
Stubb's,
Ironworks,

Only ones I can remember that fit that description, haven't lived there since '04. :)

/ Hole in the Wall Buffet's and Restaurants #26  
Chef Point Cafe in Watauga, TX. Looks like a dive outside, but is great place to eat.

/ Hole in the Wall Buffet's and Restaurants #27  
For whatever reason, buffet restaurants are not a "thing" here in New England, the sole exception being Chinese. I don't know why. Many of them serve some non-Oriental dishes too, like mac & cheese, french fries or chicken fingers. Most of the ones I've been to are pretty good.
Never seen a pizza buffet, though back in the 70s when I spent a couple years in the PNW there was one chain that did an all-you-can-eat one day a week. Wasn't a buffet though, waitresses would come around with carts with several varieties and serve it. First time I'd ever heard of pineapple on pizza...sounds weird but it's good. No anchovies though...

Is "sweet tea" just tea with some sort of sweetener in it or is there more to it? Seems to be a southern term.
Sounds like the old Godfather's pizza chain with the pineapple pizza, they also had dessert pizza that was good as well, buffet everyday at lunch time until they closed.

/ Hole in the Wall Buffet's and Restaurants #28  
Our local "Alt" paper had a rave review of a "Philly" style sub shop. So I had to try it. The reviewer, obviously had never been East of the Mississippi. :) I seriously wanted to ask the shop owner if they any clue what they were doing as this was just dog food with uncooked onions in a sub roll.

If you are ever driving on the Easter Shore of Maryland, and you see any ol' BBQ shack. Stop and have a bite. Its an unhealthy, yet transcendental experience.
No one around here has a clue what a real 'grinder' is.