Hobart Champion 16 welder/generator ?

/ Hobart Champion 16 welder/generator ? #1  

docrocky

Silver Member
Tractor
Oliver 880, Ford 8N, Ford 9N, Farmall Super C, MF 205, Ford 4400 FEL, Ford 4500 FEL/BH, Cat D-6 Dozer(1957)
Have this welder with about 116 total hours. It has a Onan Performer 16 engine. Last year would not start up and redid the carb with reasonable success. Used it last about 2 months ago, with no problems. Now it will turn over and start up if I put fuel directly into carb, but will not sustain.. I noted that if I pull the out line from the Kikki fuel pump there was nothing coming out when I turned the engine over. I have taken the pump apart and can fine nothing visibly wrong. No holes in the diaphragm and when I blow into the IN line I feel air coming out of the OUT line.
Any suggestions. It will fire and run as long as I feed it fuel into the carb.

Attachments

• IMG_0210.JPG
    IMG_0210.JPG
    187.8 KB · Views: 800
  • IMG_0211.JPG
    IMG_0211.JPG
    167 KB · Views: 425
  • IMG_0212.JPG
    IMG_0212.JPG
    400.9 KB · Views: 931
   / Hobart Champion 16 welder/generator ? #2  
Double post

/ Hobart Champion 16 welder/generator ? #3  
Make sure you have fuel running from tank to pump, Run some fuel from the tank into a mason jar, Looking for sediment and rust. You might also check the fuel hose for any wear or holes where air can enter the system, If all is clean I'd be looking for a new pump.

/ Hobart Champion 16 welder/generator ? #4  
I would think that that welder also supplies 12 volts.
If so simply purchase a 12 volt low pressure fuel pump to replace the original.

I don't know your pump, but from the pics might it be vacuum driven? if so are all the lines sound? (no vacuum leaks) Just a thought.

/ Hobart Champion 16 welder/generator ?
Piloon and others...thank you for response. the pump Nikki 149-2187-01 038-031 9-3 (numbers stamped on pump cover) is vacuum driven. A
small hose dose exit from the front engine cowl and connects to the rear of the pump. It must move the rubber diaphragm by a positive and negative action. I do vaguely recall when I was redoing the carb that I tested the OUT tubing coming from the pump before hooking it to the INTAKE of the carb and as I turned over the engine there was a pulsing squirt of fuel. Now it does not happen and I was seeking confirmation that this is a correct assumption that the pump is not functioning. Not too sure how to check the VACUUM DRIVE.

Problem solved! I took the Nikki fuel pump apart and carefully examined the rubber diaphragm which was intact. I must have taken the pump apart a year of so back when I rebuilt the carb. I must have used a gasket sealer because a slight residual was evident on the edges. I sprayed everything with Carb and throttle cleaner then wiped all surfaces with cotton QT tips. I did notice that there were 2 small metal discs which acted as some sort of valve and they might have been stuck down but poped easily with a fine tip. The Q tips seemed to collect a very fine dirt or dark fine debris. I then very carefully reassembled the unit, gave the carb a small shot of fuel and she started and ran. I shut it down 2-3 times and each restart was successful.

I then hooked the Welder/generator to my tractor and used a small electric chair saw to trim a bunch of low branches from trees etc.

Apparently there are no rebuild kits for many of the Nikki fuel pumps nor are the replacement diaphragms available. You have to buy the entire pump for around 60 to 80 dollars.

A dear friend who is a big automobile consultant and vintage car restorer told me he uses nothing but aviation gas in all of his small engines and classic cars because they (Fed AA) will not allow additives to aviation fuel. food for thought. The savings in unnecessary repairs far out weights the cost of Aviation gas.

/ Hobart Champion 16 welder/generator ? #7  
Ethanol will dry out the diaphragm in small engine pumps. Just use the gasoline that says No Ethanol and you'll be just fine.

Mysfyt: We can not get the ethanol free gasoline here in NW Ohio/SE Michigan unless you go to the marinas and they charge double. Has anyone had any real experience with the new Stabil products that work against the ethanol corrosion?

/ Hobart Champion 16 welder/generator ? #9  
Mysfyt: We can not get the ethanol free gasoline here in NW Ohio/SE Michigan unless you go to the marinas and they charge double. Has anyone had any real experience with the new Stabil products that work against the ethanol corrosion?
Maybe this will work better for you. Go karts use methanol.
Object moved

/ Hobart Champion 16 welder/generator ? #10  

Here's a list of ethanol free gas stations in Ohio and Michigan
Here in my area the ethanol free gas is usually premium or about 30-40 cents more than regular.

Ethanol-free gas stations in the U.S. and Canada

Ethanol-free gas stations in the U.S. and Canada