Hired help?!?!?

/ Hired help?!?!? #1  

Fuddy1952

Elite Member
Tractor
1973 Economy and 2018 John Deere 3038E
I'm building a horse paddock I need immediately and a helping hand would be great. There are two fellows I know, both about 50y.o., a $30/hr. & $10/hr. one. The $30hr. guy is fantastic, a contractor with quality tools...but he's always booked 3 months in advance.
The $10hr. guy works for lots of neighbors, lawns, etc.
Last week I hired the $10 guy. He talks non-stop. You have to show him 3 times what to do. Even then he doesn't get it. He never could figure out vice grip pliers. After I injured my hand (stupid mistake, I can't think with someone yakking! I got stitches in nearby hospital).
I paid him, now I'm working by myself (wife helps some...she's great, can't do heavy lifting).
I'm curious experiences others have with hired help!

/ Hired help?!?!? #4  
Angies list was bought out, but before then, they where being sued by a bunch of people because they where soliciting payment for a better listing from contractors. For years, they would call me every month, sometimes several times a month about upgrading my account. It was always a different sales guy, but always the same pitch. The very worse contractor in my area has the most positive reviews on Angies List. He wont finish a job until they give him that review.

Craigslist is where people put ads that have burned all their bridges. Not 100% accurate because there are a few that are starting out that are trying to get their name out there, but once they get going, there is no need for Craigslist for work.

Almost all of my new clients come from Facebook. If I was looking to hire somebody, I would post on Facebook asking for a recommendation on who to hire, and then look at their page and see if they are serious, or a party animal, or a hack. Funny thing is that people tend to post some of the must unflattering things about themselves on there!!!

Something else to consider is that people charge as much as they can get away with. If somebody is willing to work for very little, like $10 an hour, there is a reason. Another red flag is somebody looking for work that isn't working. Everyone that I know in the industry is always looking for a good worker. They are very hard to find, and when you do find one, they usually only stick around long enough to get their feet under them, and then they become your competition.

Here in Tyler, we have a street that illegals hang out at. They charge $15 an hour and you have to pick them up and bring them back at the end of the day. They only take cash. Some are good workers that speak English, others are worthless. The challenge is in figuring that out when you get there. The bigger contractors have a guy that speaks Spanish and knows who is who there, so they get their early and usually get all the good workers for the day, or the job. Concrete Contractors do this every day!!! People with land that I know do this, but it's always hit or miss on finding a great guy, or a dud. A lot of the time the good workers end up being hired permanently, so that makes it even harder to find a good worker when going there.

I've found it is almost always easier, faster and less stressful to figure out how to do most things on my own, and if it's something that really requires more people to accomplish, like concrete work, hire another contractor to deal with it.

/ Hired help?!?!? #5  
I've had good luck using Craigslist to find painters, drywall guys, demolition, and general labor. I've never used Craigslist for any higher skilled tasks.

I've also had good experience with hiring active duty Army guys. They generally just love getting off base and doing something different.

/ Hired help?!?!? #6  
Angies list was bought out, but before then, they where being sued by a bunch of people because they where soliciting payment for a better listing from contractors. For years, they would call me every month, sometimes several times a month about upgrading my account. It was always a different sales guy, but always the same pitch. The very worse contractor in my area has the most positive reviews on Angies List. He wont finish a job until they give him that review.

Craigslist is where people put ads that have burned all their bridges. Not 100% accurate because there are a few that are starting out that are trying to get their name out there, but once they get going, there is no need for Craigslist for work.

Almost all of my new clients come from Facebook. If I was looking to hire somebody, I would post on Facebook asking for a recommendation on who to hire, and then look at their page and see if they are serious, or a party animal, or a hack. Funny thing is that people tend to post some of the must unflattering things about themselves on there!!!

Something else to consider is that people charge as much as they can get away with. If somebody is willing to work for very little, like $10 an hour, there is a reason. Another red flag is somebody looking for work that isn't working. Everyone that I know in the industry is always looking for a good worker. They are very hard to find, and when you do find one, they usually only stick around long enough to get their feet under them, and then they become your competition.

Here in Tyler, we have a street that illegals hang out at. They charge $15 an hour and you have to pick them up and bring them back at the end of the day. They only take cash. Some are good workers that speak English, others are worthless. The challenge is in figuring that out when you get there. The bigger contractors have a guy that speaks Spanish and knows who is who there, so they get their early and usually get all the good workers for the day, or the job. Concrete Contractors do this every day!!! People with land that I know do this, but it's always hit or miss on finding a great guy, or a dud. A lot of the time the good workers end up being hired permanently, so that makes it even harder to find a good worker when going there.

I've found it is almost always easier, faster and less stressful to figure out how to do most things on my own, and if it's something that really requires more people to accomplish, like concrete work, hire another contractor to deal with it.
Eddie has hit the nail on the head.I work as a sub contractor for local power company.I pre-check jobs (new construction) before electric lineman go to these jobs.95% of contractors I speak with cannot find any good help.Scary state of affairs IMHO.