Hip Replacement Surgery

/ Hip Replacement Surgery #1  

Turbys_1700

Elite Member
Tractor
New Holland t4.75
Well, finally got the right replaced. Outpatient surgery. Minimal blood loss. Sore from incision but pain is manageable with Oxy. Re-habbing at home. Very humbling for your wife to be your nurse.

/ Hip Replacement Surgery #2  
That's good news. How long before you can resume normal activities?

Steve

/ Hip Replacement Surgery
I report back to the surgeon in 2 weeks. I think I can return to work on a limited schedule. Hopefully I will be released in 6 to 8 weeks. First time using a Surgery Center. Converted old Winn Dixie.

/ Hip Replacement Surgery #4  
Well, finally got the right replaced. Outpatient surgery.

I am 67 YO,, and was told just recently to expect the right one is gonna fail soon,,, :eek:

They told me I have AVN,,, avascular necrosis,, do you know what caused yours to fail?
To date, I have had zero pain,, so I am in a wait and see mode,, for now.

I will be VERY interested in hearing your progress,,, :thumbsup:

/ Hip Replacement Surgery
My left knee was damaged in 1975 playing in a scrimmage high school football game. Over the years arthritis set up in the left knee. My left leg is 5/8" shorter than my right. In 2014 I started getting hip pain in the right hip. So fast forward 32 months and hip replacement. I had to lose a lot of weight which is difficult with mobility issues. I swam, bowled, and played a little golf. I was in pain.

To be a candidate for outpatient surgery you have to be healthy and your BMI under 37. I'm healthy as a horse with the same appetite. I am fortunate that we have 2 excellent hospitals and orthopedic clinics in Hickory.

/ Hip Replacement Surgery #6  
Just had my left done March 31st of this year.
I was up walking around 5 hours after surgery (not that the nurses were impressed mind you:) ). Had to go to the can, she told me wait a minute I'll a can or what ever they call the thing with a funnel on it. Nada, while she went to get it I got out of bed and went to an actual bathroom, probably not a smart move but no way was i gong to use that **** thing LOL. I used a walker but it felt great, being able to move with no pain other than the actual incision pain was fantastic.
I started waling up and down the halls with the nurses telling me to stop moving around so much, after a couple of warnings, they gave up :).
I asked the dr when I can get back on my bike, he suggested at least 8 weeks but whenever you feel capable, there's no reason you can't. 8 weeks and one hour later I was on.
I'm still cautious gong over rough terrain, roots, gravel etc. as I'm still leary of falling but being 95% pain free is worth it.
All I ended up using was tylenol with codeine and I stopped that after a week. Only thing I can figure, I must heal quick, my knee replacement was the same way.
Once in awhile if I forget and cross my feet when I'm sitting on the couch and stretch, something will flip over the top of the hip bone, a tendon I presume, and I'll let a whoop out but other than that, all is good.
Went back for my 6 week checkup and said "go away, unless you have a problem I don't want to see you again"....Mike

/ Hip Replacement Surgery #7  
had a l.hip done around 5 yrs ago and the next yr a r.knee.rehapping the hip was a piece of cake compared to the knee....russ

/ Hip Replacement Surgery #8  
had a l.hip done around 5 yrs ago and the next yr a r.knee.rehapping the hip was a piece of cake compared to the knee....russ

And replacing a knee was a piece of cake compared to my shoulder replacement on April 24 of this year.

/ Hip Replacement Surgery #9  
My right hip is toast, ...has been for a few years. Dr told me to expect a replacement to last 20 years +\- and much depends on activity level and abuse in that time. I have decided to wait as long as I posably can to do it and hope the technology gets better and I get older... I do t want to do it again when I'm in my 70s

/ Hip Replacement Surgery #10  
Glad to hear it's working out for you plus the speedy recovery.

So, what are you doing with the old hip? :)

I know that when it comes to old tractor parts, even if they're worn out but not completely buggered, you put them up on a shelf in the workshop 'just in case' you might need it later on.