Hillside brush cutting power and stability 425/1430/1445

/ Hillside brush cutting power and stability 425/1430/1445 #11  
I would say go to Tazwell and try the different machines and see which one would best suit you. I have a 422 and also an 1845 slope mower both have served me well over the years

/ Hillside brush cutting power and stability 425/1430/1445 #12  
You can, but wheel motors themselves are not inexpensive.

What you end up chasing with slope mowing up/down is raw, total power output per unit time, aka horsepower. So going for larger wheel displacement motors will get you better hill climbing power, but at a slower rate of speed. The larger wheel motors will commit you to lower speeds always, in all tasks.

The 1445 is almost double the HP of the 425, some of which is used by the larger mower.

Could you get the work done in a 425? I think probably if your slope isn't over 20 degrees or so. (The upper maximum on the engine was around 22 degrees, if I recall correctly, due to oil starvation.) Would you need to make accommodations? Almost certainly; slower, different mowing patterns, etc.

The 45HP Deutz is happy to do a lot of work at just above idle, whereas the gasoline engine in the 425 needs to be closer to wide open throttle always for optimal air cooling. The Deutz ends up being quite fuel efficient for me as most of my chores and tasks are done closer to 1/4 throttle. (Mowing, rototilling, chipping, and trenching being the exceptions)

At the end of the day, I think it is as @woodlandfarms suggested about buying the HP that you can afford.

I looked at the 425, and Power-Trac talked me out of it due to my steeper slopes. I am very happy with the 1445, and use it pretty much daily for something, and being able to lift 1800lbs comes in handy far more often than I thought it would.
All the best,

Peter
Don't forget the weight difference in machines as well. The 425 is only about 1500# so it does not have the weight for traction VS the larger machines. Once you get on a slope, that can be an issue.

/ Hillside brush cutting power and stability 425/1430/1445 #13  
Middle Tennessee. The factory is about 5 hours from me.
I would make the trip, or at least check the owners list to see if there is anyone close who might let you test drive theirs. I had a great time seeing the factory, the show room, and test driving a few tractors and implements.

All the best,

Peter

/ Hillside brush cutting power and stability 425/1430/1445 #14  
I have a 1430 and 1460, I feel the lack of auto brake on the 1430 to be a hazard. I would go for the 1445 just for the brake (not only is it automatic or just a flip of a switch, it locks all four wheels unlike the hand brake models that only do the front). I is the best machine I have operated on slopes for stability. They need a diff lock but you can still get buy.

/ Hillside brush cutting power and stability 425/1430/1445
I have a 1430 and 1460, I feel the lack of auto brake on the 1430 to be a hazard. I would go for the 1445 just for the brake (not only is it automatic or just a flip of a switch, it locks all four wheels unlike the hand brake models that only do the front). I is the best machine I have operated on slopes for stability. They need a diff lock but you can still get buy.
Do you have the gas or diesel 1430? And what is your personal opinion of its hill climbing ability? Do you feel stable on slopes with it other than lacking auto brake? What are the best use cases for the 1430 in your opinion?

/ Hillside brush cutting power and stability 425/1430/1445 #16  
Do you have the gas or diesel 1430? And what is your personal opinion of its hill climbing ability? Do you feel stable on slopes with it other than lacking auto brake? What are the best use cases for the 1430 in your opinion?
I only tried a 1430 once; it is wider and slightly more powerful than the 425 with more lifting capabilities (height and weight), and much less powerful than the 1445 which can lift more, and higher. The 1445 is slightly wider, with much more of both power and lifting capabilities.

I think it comes down to your use case(s). If you are using tractor 100% to slope mow, that is one answer. If you use it for other things, that may influence where you come out.

Personally, I completely underestimated the daily utility of a tractor with a large bucket and forks. I use my 1445 almost daily as a tool carrier and a force multiplier (lift/pull/carry). Sure there are occasional times when I think that an 1860 or 1460 could do a little more, but then I think of all the other jobs that they would have been a hindrance here.

I have used my 1445 for special projects that individually more than paid for the tractor, in my mind at least; to dig down for an emergency repair over Thanksgiving to a ruptured water line through wet clay with the 4n1, trenched in 1200' or so of subsurface drains for our arena, and put up 2000' or so of three rail fence posts with the post driver and forks/bucket. For me, a smaller 425 would have been able to do less than half of what I have done with my 1445. @MossRoad has a number of videos on how much you can do with a 425, and I think it is a lot. The 1445 is just a big brother that can do some more. For me, the added power and lift height comes in handy several times a week.

The other item that I also completely underestimated is how much easier and faster it is to get on/off a Power-Trac compared to other tractors. Super fast, and easy on your back/knees.

FWIW: I maintain 12-ish acres, almost all sloped, some at more than 45 degrees.

All the best,

Peter

I'm guessing the current 1445 has a DPF emissions system?

/ Hillside brush cutting power and stability 425/1430/1445 #18  
I'm guessing the current 1445 has a DPF emissions system?
I think that Power-Trac corralled a large stock of the pre-DEF/DPF Deutz engines, but check with sales to confirm that.

I can't say enough good things about the engines. They were used everywhere from tractors, to generators, irrigation pumps, to concrete pumps for good reasons. They just run and run. (The engine uses oil as a cooling fluid, which lowered the noise level to meet a EU noise standard. The oil is cooled with an oil to air cooler. Very simple.) I used its predecessor engine farming (ok its big, big, brother) that was something like 15% more fuel efficient than the equivalent gasoline powered engine. You could touch the muffler, as there wasn't that much waste heat. We ran a PTO generator off of it for something like ten days after a bad storm. It just ran and ran...

All the best,

Peter

/ Hillside brush cutting power and stability 425/1430/1445 #19  
I started out with the smallest Power Trac they make, the PT018 to do brush cutting in an area that has a tremendous amount of rocks and ledge. I tried every brand of tractor I could find and the Power Trac was the only one that hit most of the correct requirements. Most importantly front attachment (HD mower) on a loader {not a 3pt hitch like Antonio Carraro, or a <2' lift on a Steiner or Ventrac}, 4x4, power steering, good ground clearance or impervious to underside damage, and agile. The 018 was near perfect, so much so that I tried the 1430 as I wanted a larger size and the diesel. It worked so well I looked into the 1445 and 1460 and ended up with the 1460. The hill climbing is good. I do wish it could lock out the differential action hydraulically like my Moffett 3-wheel fork lift. It could be added, since it is just hyd valves. I think it would make it a birds nest of entangled hoses, so I haven't done it.
On a steep climb with loose ground, you will get wheel spin, especially from the front wheels. However (the diesel (1430 up) PTs have a draft feature that proportionally directs oil to the lift cylinders as wheel torque is increased, adding more weight to the front tires.
The negative of the somewhat reduced traction of the PT (when compared to a 4x4 conventional tractor) is more then offset by the best stability I have experienced! Not to get too complicated, but conventional tractors are stabilized by the rear axle/tires only, not the front. Remember the front axle on a conv tractor is a pivot point and does not assist in keeping the tractor upright until one rear wheel is up in the air with the tractor leaning over-contacting the stops on the front axle. The PT along with being lower profile, has a different type of pivot at the center articulation joint. This works better as the front tires are rigidly attached to the complete front half of the tractor (with loader arms) and when you overload a PT, and the rear lifts in the air, that is when the rear portion will tilt over (like a conventional tractor only reversed). On the conventionally tractor with the loader raised and overloaded with one rear tire elevated, it now tilts the loader off to the side potentially outside of the tread width compounding your chances of rolling the tractor. As explained, the PT is ridge to the front wheels and holding the same angle as the ground, only the rear tilts.
I don't know how much "seat time" you have had on tractors, but if enough to compare, you will love the stability of the PT.
I used my 1430 more then any other tractor period. I have some attachments that I interchange with the 1460 and just for reasons of economy, if the 1430 will do the job, I use it instead of the 1460 (it is a cost per hour of operation consideration for me).
Sorry to be long winded, but as you could probably guess, I would recommend the PT over anything else available. Then figure the size you need, and the features that come with it. 425-no draft and pretty small tractor, 1430-has manual 2-wheel park/emergency brake, 1445+ diesel durability.

Thank you for taking the time to explain why a PT has more stability. I was thinking a PT would be more stable due to being lower to the ground than a normal farm tractor, but your explanation helps me understand there's more to it.