High Quality Lawn Sprinkler

/ High Quality Lawn Sprinkler #1  

N80

Tractor
Kubota L4400 4wd w/LA 703 FEL
I've been through a lot of cheap sprinklers. I'm talking above ground, not sprinkler system stuff. I don't water much but when I do I don't want a big old hassle. I prefer the chink-chink-chink type but everything I've bought in the last ten years has been junk and does not last. All from China. Spike type ones will not work. My 'soil' turns to concrete if it goes more than a week without rain. I've broken so many of those cheap pot metal spikes!

At this point money is not a major object and willing to buy pro-level stuff if there is such a thing. Any advice on durable, reliable stuff much appreciated. I do not need more than one or two sprinklers.

/ High Quality Lawn Sprinkler #2  
I gave up on the cheap sprinklers and now use a Nelson traveling tractor cast iron sprinkler. Lay out the hose on the path I want it to take, and off it goes.

• Good Post
Reactions: N80
   / High Quality Lawn Sprinkler #3  
We have gone through our share of sprinklers - have quite a collection by now - and agree with you that most don't quite work out that well. One sprinkler, however, has lasted for at least 10 years and has worked flawlessly. However, it is not suited for all lawns - best for certain shapes of lawns. I have posted a link - I see it is now $109. I think I paid about $60 for it years ago. There are similar models for less.

Here is another that has worked fairly well. I poured concreted into a 6 x 8 x 8 concrete block and formed a cavity for the spike part of this one as the concrete dried - forms a pocket and sprinklers are removable. That way I can put it where ever I want to put it without having to force it into hard dirt - seemed easier that way - I have broken a few of the spikes off in hard dirt. The concrete block "spike holders" I have made also work well for the Rain bird oscillating kind of sprinkler as the spikes on many kinds seem to be the same shape and depth.

Last edited:
   / High Quality Lawn Sprinkler #4  
Never had one fail.

sprinkler.jpeg

Bruce

/ High Quality Lawn Sprinkler #5  
My wife loves to plant flowers all over the place, but never plans on how she is going to water them, so its been a nightmare of hoses and every type of sprinkler sold. None really worked very well, but with a lot of effort, she managed to keep them alive. Now that the place is looking good, thanks to her, I've taken interest in trying to make it easier for her.

I found these at Atwoods, a farm supply store, but Lowes sells them too. They mount on a Tpost and our water pressure is enough that it will spray 40 feet out. They are super easy to adjust, so we just need two of them for our vegging garden. One on a T post on one side, in the middle, and another on the other side, in the middle. They cover the entire 70x70 area, and also the flower beds that go around the veggie garden.

We have 6 of them going now, and it's proven to be a very well built sprinkler. I'm now thinking about installing an automatic sprinkler manifold and running PEX to each sprinkler. Then having a drain in the line so I can empty all of the water for winter.

/ High Quality Lawn Sprinkler #6  
I also add Nelson Traveling Sprinkler to the suggestion, This sprinkler has three different speeds and we can use this one at the garden as well as a small farm.

/ High Quality Lawn Sprinkler #7  
   / High Quality Lawn Sprinkler #8  
I've always used Rain Bird. Attached to a T-145 steel fence post. Pump water out of my lake( unlimited supply ) at 80 psi. Waters a VERY large area.

/ High Quality Lawn Sprinkler #9  
I've used The "rain train" for many years. There are a couple of problems I have experienced with them.
If the tractor gets to an area where there is no grass, it will lose traction and just spin in place.
I've also found that if your hose is too long, it gets too heavy to drag, and will cause the tractor to spin in place again.
They are really a great sprinkler, but you should be aware of these issues when using one.

/ High Quality Lawn Sprinkler #10  
I have used Senninger wobblers sprinklers for even distribution of water. They are for low pressure applications (25 psi). Use the wobbler at 35 to 45 foot elevation gain above the pump. Approximately a 50 foot diameter pattern and one of the best sprinklers for even distribution of water I have used. I also use them with a 25 psi regulator on some low areas (same elevation as pump).

I was so impressed with the wobbler that I decided to give the Senninger impact sprinkler a try.
Use this Senninger sprinkler for elevations closer to the pump elevation (50 psi), has good distribution and a 80 foot diameter pattern.

I have never had to replace one. They are dependable.

Rainbird brass sprinklers have also lasted 50 years or more, great sprinklers also.