high power air rifles

/ high power air rifles #1  

Renze

Elite Member
Tractor
Zetor 3011, Zetor 5718
Here in Holland you cant buy guns unless you apply for a shooting club, or are a wildlife game keeper. Air rifles however, are free. New high power air rifles however, have more power than a .22 gunpowder rifle.

Daystate Wolverine .303 vs. Benjamin Rogue .357 - YouTube

Hog Hunting with Gamo Hunter Extreme Air Rifle - YouTube

Extreme Airgun Hunting - Giant rabbits with the Benjamin Rogue .357 - YouTube

This means that real hunting (backyard pest control, not just the tomtits) comes within reach without a weapon permit.

Does anyone have experience with these high power air guns ? i think i'm going to buy one but have no idea what impact energy i'd need for a certain game weight, and range.

/ high power air rifles #2  
I think you are talking about large bore , pre-pressurized air rifles and air shotguns common to areas outside of the USA and Canada? Uncommon here as we would use a 5mm/17caliber rim fire,.22 rim fire or .410 shotgun for small short range pests. Then the .223/5.56X45 nato for coyotes etc out to 300yards.
I bought my kid a break barrel Diana model 350 in .22 and it works very well. Power similar to a 22 short , accurate and quiet. In hind sight however I wish it had been the RWS/Dianna 460 Magnum .22 Caliber Air Rifle with the cocking lever under the barrel.

/ high power air rifles #3  
Don't own either but the .357 is more powerfull.190gr.bullet at 850 fps is about equal to a .357 Magnum pistol round.With today's modern bullets game up to pigs and deer with-in the range of the .357.I would think 50-70 yards would be maximum on large game.My nephews have successfully taken coyotes with a .22 cal. air rifle.Expensive but if that is all you can own,go for it.

/ high power air rifles #4  
they are not the plinkers we had when we were kids these things have serious power and range.

/ high power air rifles #5  
i know the one i was looking at was dual caliper like 22/177 serious killing power for varmints.

/ high power air rifles
I think you are talking about large bore , pre-pressurized air rifles and air shotguns common to areas outside of the USA and Canada?
rifles like that Diana 350, In Germany they are limited to 7.5 Joule impact energy, and in the UK to 16.3 to stay under the weapon permit requirement, (standard they do about 35 joule with .177 pellets) so these bigger air guns will need a weapon permit anyhow... They arent common over here either even though the Dutch law puts no restrictions on air rifles...

I bought my kid a break barrel Diana model 350 in .22 and it works very well. Power similar to a 22 short , accurate and quiet. In hind sight however I wish it had been the RWS/Dianna 460 Magnum .22 Caliber Air Rifle with the cocking lever under the barrel.
That Magnum 350 has 380m/sec velocity in 4.5mm (.177) pellets... about double that of the .177 Weihrauch HW50 my dad has...

Why did you choose .22 and not .177 caliber and do you prefer the 460 because of the cocking lever under the barrel, or just because its more powerful than the 350 ? Its about the size of rifle i am thinking of, as i dont want to buy pressurised gas cylinders, i want the maximum bang for the buck in a pump gun.

This is what my dad has (never uses it) and two of my friends had at home. They kill a tomtit or other little bird good (one shot) but its completely ineffective against feral cats or rabbits.
Weihrauch HW50S Review - YouTube

/ high power air rifles #7  
Beeman air rifle with scope dual caliper with 177/22 is a fine rifle not cheap.

/ high power air rifles #8  
What exactly are you looking to take down, with the .357 you can go hunting for larger game like deer. You can use a benjamin marauder .25 for game up to coyote. You would use a good .22 for all other smaller animals i.e. Ground hogs, squirrel..etc. The Benjamin marauder is an excellent, extremely accurate and VERY silent gun. A great weapon of choice due to power, accuracy and noise level that could hypothetically be used on squirrels that make their way into an attic in a densely populated urban area. If a PCP is not for you due to the hassle of all the additional gear like air tank and constantly having to go to a scuba shop to get it filled you want to look at a great spring air rifle like the Diana RWS 460 Magnum or a slightly less powerful but extremely accurate Air Arms Tx200. With Fine springers like these you'll be able to consistently place shots right to the fuse box taking the pesky criters out every time. If all you want to do is blast some birds then go with a .177 cal but you'll regret that later when the need arises to take our a furry creature.

/ high power air rifles #9  
I have a Gamo .22 air rifle that is good for squirrels which are the pests we deal with. Does ground hogs as well. Would imagine it would be just as good for rabbits.