Hi Quality Used Paladin Root/rock Grapple VS Good Quality MTL.

/ Hi Quality Used Paladin Root/rock Grapple VS Good Quality MTL. #1  

Orangeelmo

Tractor
Kubota L39, B2910
Opinions needed. Brush/rock grapple for a Kubota L39.
I can buy a top quality USED but very good Paladin 6' root grapple (755#) for $1600 or the same design MTL root, rock, brush grapple (650#) for $1300.

I'll be using it residentially to clear overgrown, rocks, fallen trees, clear collapsed buildings and clear overgrown trails on 7-10 acres.

I always bought better quality used items for about same price as new average quality.

In this case is it worth the extra for the Paladin???

I hope I hear from people who own either. Messick's promotes Paladin so???

Last edited:
   / Hi Quality Used Paladin Root/rock Grapple VS Good Quality MTL. #2  
Paladin attachments have a good reputation.
However, I don't think you'd go wrong with any attachment made by MTL.
I had my brother buy an MTL extreme brush cutter after using a Blue Diamond unit and a buying/using a Skid Pro unit.
All three are HEAVY but manageable with mid frame skid steers, share direct drive design approach and vary a bit regarding blade carrier/flywheel design.
All three decimate Texas Hill Country cedar and brush with extreme prejudice. The MTL with bottom mulching teeth was considerably more affordable, and the design of the front guard design is materially better at deflecting rock strikes and other debris than either the Blue Diamond (broken windshield) or the Skid Pro ( much better protection, but less than the MTL). My Skid Pro cost $$$ more and is a meaty, beasty, brute without a doubt, but the MTL is also heavy and certainly holds it's own in comparative performance.
Regarding Root vs rock grapple designs, I find that while some root grapple may have slightly larger gross grapple capacity, they also have front teeth which curve upward a bit and very wide spacing between tines... both attributes limit alternative applications.
I opted for the 72" rock grapple ( Prime Attachments) for a couple of reasons...
1. The more narrow tine spacing better lets me sort river rock to usable sizes (roughly 2.5" and less),
2. I can still move brush very efficiently while dry dirt sifts out the bottom
3. The FLAT tooth bar and flat, deep bucket depth is very effective as a grader/spreader of gravel, sand, or dry dirt. (An expanded metal insert for the back part of the bucket bottom makes it even MORE versatile.)

Titan hay spears, bucket cutting edges, and pallet forks have been very satisfactory. I have no experience with their hydraulic driven attachments.

/ Hi Quality Used Paladin Root/rock Grapple VS Good Quality MTL. #3  
I have several MTL attachments and just ordered $7k of stuff from them yesterday for my new track loader. I have been very happy with their grapples. For me, it is an easy answer: MTL.