HG150 Generator no/low voltage

/ HG150 Generator no/low voltage #1  

marquisgt

Tractor
Ford 3000
I have a HG150 generator that was recently hooked up and operating perfectly. I came back later on to check the gas level of the Ventrac, and noticied the voltage meter was reading 0v. I measured 3.0v - 5.0v with a VOM, depending on RPMs. I can verify the throttle was running above the required 3,600 RPMs.

I checked (& tightened) the tension on the belt, and visually inspected the run capacitors... no help. Is there anything else I can check on this unit?

/ HG150 Generator no/low voltage #2  
Cool! Interesting Thread.

So you were using it to make power? To run something? But you hadn't noticed it wasn't making power anymore?

All the breakers intact? Do you have voltage on another circuit/recept on the unit.?

Were you running heavy loads?

If all the breakers are OK and no internal fuses gone, it might be a diode in the brushless design or a voltage regulator issue.

That is something I would just love to play with!

Last edited:
   / HG150 Generator no/low voltage
Thanks for the quick reply. I was using the generator to power a walk-in cooler and walk-in freezer, both 240v (I'm not sure the exact load...my co-worker has used this setup in the past without issue). I wasn't in the building when the generator was running, so I didn't notice it wasn't making power anymore.

No breakers were tripped. All receptacles/circuits (120 & 240) read the 3.0v -5.0v.

I didn't notice any internal fuses. I'll double check that and also check the diodes. I'll have to figure out how to test the voltage regulator (unless you know how to do it).

Thanks!

/ HG150 Generator no/low voltage #4  
The fact that there was an inductive load, may be something to keep in mind. Hi Inrush current.

You say Capacitors. I think, but I don't know, that some primitive voltage regulation uses capacitors. I only know electronic regulators.

Been looking a little. Gotta say, I don't know what I am looking at. Found a schematic for a unit probably from the company that made this for Venrac. Shows only an excitation winding connected to a capacitor. Sales literature talks about diodes, but they don't show that in their schematic so it's the usual half information, guessing game.

But, first things first. Capacitor should have uf value. Buy a ten dollar capacitor checker or get a multi meter that has a capacitor check function. It might be that easy. How old is this unit?

Last edited:
   / HG150 Generator no/low voltage #5  
The other possibility if all else checks out is that the generator could have lost excitation. You may need to excite it with a DC source.

/ HG150 Generator no/low voltage #6  
Seems like you may have been using this in a power outage if it powers a walk-in freezer and walk-in cooler. Do these units have a plug or are they hard wired to the mains? Is the generator completely isolated from the mains when you are running it?

/ HG150 Generator no/low voltage
Our unit has a heavy duty 240v twist-lock generator cable. We plug one end into the generator, the other into a pigtail that we disconnect from the mains. So the generator is completely isolated from the main power supply.

/ HG150 Generator no/low voltage #8  
For what it's worth. Generally rotors loose their residual magnetism over time, and "possibly" if they are hooked up backwards.

I had a small diesel air cooled generator (my first) that I got disassembled and didn't know there was supposed to ba a bearing on the outer end. After getting the rotor rewound, it made contact with the stator, and would never hold a magnetic charge again. I installed a little button to flash it everytime I start it. No big deal. Was easier than figuring out how to correct it properly. Set works A-1 other than that.

/ HG150 Generator no/low voltage #9  
I have a stand by generator to run my house when the power goes out and I start and run it about every month and it is working good for years. Before it a 10 year old small generator I used before and it was never started and never a problem either so go figure..... jim